DIY Hydration system w/ manual in-line pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I started using the system these are some things I learned:

1) It is nice to always have water to clean your helmet visor and windshield off with regardless of where you stop.

2) When camping it is nice to fill up one with 2 can cokes and then pack with ice so that you will have a caffene fix for the next morning.

3) In cooler weather, if you get in a bind for space then one of the kegs can be used for storing your tools or first-aids kit.

4) In an emergency, you can sacrifice the hand pump and tube and use as a manual gasoline pump to pull gas from one motorcycle tank into another.

5) Replacement hand bulb pumps and tubes can be purchased at Walmart for 5 bucks.

When using the manual bulb I will just pump it 3 to 4 times to get water up from the tank to the end of the hose. Then I will just suck on the end of the hose

just like you would on the end of a straw. The check valve will prevent the water from draining back to the tank but will allow you to suck water from the tank.

The other big beneft is the ability to just manually pump a couple cups of water into your jacket while your still at top speed without having to stop.

Have you been checked for lead poisoning lately ? Aren't those "bulbs" pliable from the lead they add ? Just curious . . . . How do you get the hot water out of the bulb & hose before taking another drink (after it's been sitting a while) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi FJRobert,

I can honestly say that I have never been checked for lead poisoning. I do have some safety concerns in life, but lead posioning isn't in my top 20.

I usually just pump the pump 3 to 4 times into my open jacket to get cold water up. I also insulated the line with the black tube which works pretty good.

Thanks,

Have you been checked for lead poisoning lately ? Aren't those "bulbs" pliable from the lead they add ? Just curious . . . . How do you get the hot water out of the bulb & hose before taking another drink (after it's been sitting a while) ?

That's a great concept, but I had some health concerns regarding this modification as well. Products that Walmart sells that are made for food/fluid transport already have some questionable safety concerns. The manufacturing of items not for food use are just that, not for food use. You wouldn't find me drinking from that thing very often at all. Try to find a food grade product instead. I believe you can find bulb and siphon pumps for drinking water at sporting goods stores (REI, Academy, Dicks, etc).

worldbound4now.

I did a quick search online and came up with numerous pumps like this, but had trouble finding a pump without filter while also being able to run with one hand for ease while on the go.

I say just suck a mouthful of water and don't swallow.... just let it run down your chin and neck if you really can't stop. :)

I really like the idea but couldn't afford to lose a a fair amount of water getting to the cold stuff each time. With the hose I'm using I can just pressure it back into jug so I get a cold drink right from the start. Thanks for thinking outside the box.

ah ha!.... pressure it back to the jug. Run two lines and tie them together all the way to your access point. Want a drink.... sip on one line. Want a shower? Blow on one line and the water will come out the other.