DIY Seat - Took the Plunge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Folks- I decided to mod my seat. Believe it or not, I was very happy with the stocker seat on my 2008. Had even done some 4-500 mile days on it. Then in the late summer of 2008 I sustained a pesky tailbone injury. The injury hurt like a MoFo for four weeks and then settled into a chronic low grade PITA. Riding the motorcycle causes the most issues.

I looked into buying a custom seat from all the icons in the business (Rich’s Custom Seats, Russell Day Long, Mayers etc). But was not sure how they would address the tailbone issue. I knew I needed a channel in my seat, just like a bicycle seat (curiously enough… I have zero tail bone issues on a bicycle).

I had seen enough info on the web of people modifying there own seat. I thought why not. If it does not work out I can get a used stock seat on the board or go with a custom seat from the pros.

First off… this is a lot of work. :blink: It was a lot of it trial and error. All told I probably have 20 hours in this thing. But the process is forgiving. After all its only foam.

I ordered some Rebond foam off the web. As as a covering for the seat I envisioned vinyl that I would sew to a ‘form fit’. I bought some 3M Foam Spray Glue.

My two main goals were to have a tailbone channel and make the seat with less forward tilt. It also needed to be a firm seat since from my bicycle riding I knew that if the ishial tuberosities (sitz bones) bore most of my support and the tailbone had no involvement then I was good to go.

Off I go. ;)

Getting the stock seat material off was no problem.

911644329_SFr92-L.jpg

Next I split the seat into two sections with a piece removed in the middle. This was tough… I thought once I cut – there is no going back!

911644589_UsFmp-L.jpg

911644699_ymkCX-L.jpg

Then I started to cut out the sections to add the firmer foam (Rebond).

911645309_CQpza-L.jpg

911645755_ri39p-L.jpg

911645453_LZ9yW-L.jpg

Then I started to add foam in layers and blocks to get it heightened and widened. It was really starting to look like a monstrosity! :bad:

911645915_fbvuK-L.jpg

911756077_uGWa8-L.jpg

Then I started to trim it back. Used a handy dandy electric meat slicing knife. :assassin:

911646508_RacMT-L.jpg

911760547_QihKP-L.jpg

Then I went to work with a 90 degree angle grinder with sanding pad.

And ended up with something like this.

911647511_vXobj-L.jpg

I shaped it as one solid seat for ease of convenience and to get the profile the same on both sides. I put it on the bike and took it for a test ride of about two hours. It felt good. Time to cut the thing in half again!

911647777_XokeR-L.jpg

I then realized the Rebond I had is pretty chunky and did not smooth out too well with the sander. So I needed to add some ‘smoothing’ foam. I went to a craft store and purchased some 1/2” very light and low density cheapo foam and covered the seat.

911648384_74tpT-L.jpg

Once I had it all covered with the smoothing foam now was the time to cover the seat. I went to a outdoor fabric store and purchased some exterior vinyl. I borrowed my ma-in-law’s 1953 Singer sewing machine and started to sew the cover, all the while learning to sew for the first time! Well… it was going pretty good and then I had to correct one of my seams and the vinyl started to tear and I said this is not going to work. I had researched using neoprene as the cover and had some sitting around. Wow – it would stretch all around the seat and I would not need to do any sewing! Swell! Here is the final product.

911649527_6atEc-XL.jpg

911648751_CUTpN-L.jpg

I added some thread details to make the seat a bit interesting to look at.

911648869_k5gvv-L.jpg

I road it to work today and it feels very good. It will take a while to know the in and outs of the seat. My first impression is that I need to make some adjustments in that it added about an inch in height (a bit too tall for me) to the seat and its still a bit too slanted to the front. But, I can remove the cover and start reshaping with out much trouble.

I have about $150 bucks in it. Not too shabby really. All in all, I give the seat a "B-" grade. :clapping:

Here are more piccies:

911649625_QjdnD-L.jpg

911649117_on8rv-L.jpg

911648524_TYZ6D-L.jpg

911648634_un8zX-L.jpg

Zen, bravo and nice craftsmenship. I see how you went the bicycle seat style , but wonder how this will hold up long term. Still, very impressed.

Interesting approach. It will be good to hear how this works out for you. I noticed that Saddlemen makes a seat of a similar ilk. Not sure if you were aware or it.

I was a bicyclist at one time too. I now look at the seat on my road bike and wonder how on earth I ever sat on that thing for 6 to 8 hours a day on longer rides and never had butt pain. I think the main difference is, I didn't. Sit all day that is.

When cycling (unlike motorcycling) you are always in motion, and constantly bearing the majority of your weight on your feet. Around here there are many chances to get up out of the seat and stand (called hills). On a Motorcycle, even when blasting around on the back roads, you are far more sedentary. Which means that the blood flow has a tendency to get cut-off in any pressure areas, and never gets a chance to recover.

That is the idea behind all of the scoop shaped custom seats. By spreading the load widely enough, no areas will lose blood flow, so no butt pain.

I did mine also, just didn't take the pains you did. Flattened the seat, used those parts to widen, then cut two teardrop in it to match my bones in my boney azz. Me likey.

Interesting approach.
That is the idea behind all of the scoop shaped custom seats. By spreading the load widely enough, no areas will lose blood flow, so no butt pain.
I agree ,,however even the scoop shaped seats apply enough pressure to cause ischemia over time. I have trimed the side projections from a rick mayer seat with improved results. Two weeks ago I removed the scoop shape from my Russel day long with good results so far. I to use the bicycle seat as a model.

Seat comfort is a very personal and subjective thing. Probably the most subjective accessory we may buy. Right up there with windshields. :rolleyes:

I don't think I would like my Russell nearly as much without the wings. And I've never had tailbone pain or any butt ischemia on it, even riding 12 hours straight.

Very cool Zen! Can you tell us more about the covering material that you used? Is it water proof (I assume so)? What exactly was it and where can it be found?

I noticed that Saddlemen makes a seat of a similar ilk. Not sure if you were aware or it.
Wow. Did not know that. That seat looks quite interesting. With compression of the seat I figure I need at least 1.5" inches in the gap to not impact said coccyx. The pics seem to indicate there is a bit less than this - especially toward the rear of the seat. But it all depends on the main seat foam and how well it supports. The description of the seat and the looks of the gap indicate they are addressing 'pressure in the perineal area'. This area is a bit anterior to the coccyx area - but its all down there somewhere! If they marketed the seat as a tailbone pressure relieving seat - they'd get a good response I think.

I might have my next option if my home made jobbie does not pan out.

Thanks Mate.

Very cool Zen! Can you tell us more about the covering material that you used? Is it water proof (I assume so)? What exactly was it and where can it be found?
The covering material is neoprene. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber and has a lycra outer covering. You can get it with fabric on both sides (which I did) or fabric on one side with the rubber (smooth or knubby) exposed on the other side. The neoprene with one fabric side is used a lot in wet suits with the rubber side place toward the water.

I went with 2mm which seemed to be a good balance between strength and stretch to cover the seat. It is waterproof (good to protect the seat foam underneath) - but the top lycra layer will get wet in the rain. I'm not sure how much this will affect my riding - the material is thin and should dry out quickly. I may carry a cover on overnight rides if there is a threat of rain during the night. Lastly- since it is a black lyrcra/black rubber material - I thought it would take on heat in the sun and be hot to ride with. But - a quick test yesterday here in the Seattle sun (~75'F) where I placed a hand on the new seat and one on the pillion (stock seat), they seemed comparable.

And... to me all the trade offs and slight issues with this seat, are secondary to the tailbone issue I have. If I can get this solved - its all good after that.

I got the material here:

Seattle Fabrics - Neoprene

Long winded response I know! :blinksmiley:

Zen, you did a very nice job. I am thinking about sending my seat this winter to Russsell but now you have me thinking. It could possibly be a good winter project for me and as you said, if I screw it up, I could still send it on to the pro's. Well done! :clapping:

I'm sure the design will catch on with the Iron Butt fellows, they can have a self-installed catheter and have it run in between the seat crack.

I think I figured out what you used for a model to build your seat.

BUTT_CRACK_1.jpg

Actually being today is only Thursday, I will admit your finished product looks pretty good!

I don't think I would like my Russell nearly as much without the wings. And I've never had tailbone pain or any butt ischemia on it, even riding 12 hours straight.
Well that is the problem it takes at least 12 hours to kick in. Ride for 20 plus hours per day and you will see. Prolonged soft tissue pressure will lead to hot spots, pain due to ischemia.