DIY Seat - Took the Plunge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seat comfort is a very personal and subjective thing. Probably the most subjective accessory we may buy. Right up there with windshields. :rolleyes:
I don't think I would like my Russell nearly as much without the wings. And I've never had tailbone pain or any butt ischemia on it, even riding 12 hours straight.
The tail bone issue is not a common problem but other seat issues are. For me I will shave my seat down to effect a lowering as my FJR is taller than I prefer. I've done it on other seats with great results. The foam once shaved or cut out will be replaced with a harder foam (can't remember what it's called) but I think Corbin and others use it. So it will be thinner but very supportive. Also the side flanges of the seat splay my legs out which has the effect of making the bike feel taller. So I plan to shave them down too and wonder if anybody has done this with good results.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Have ridden the seat about 5-6 hours up to Mt Rainier and back. Works beyond my expectations. It pretty much solves the tailbone issues I have and does not introduce any other comfort issues (was not sure with the type of firm foam I was using). Funny thing, yes it helps the TB issues - but I now have carpal tunnel from a solid two weeks of working on the seat and the hand stapling I did to attach the cover. If I was to do it again - I would definately buy an electric stapler!

:lol:

Have ridden the seat about 5-6 hours up to Mt Rainier and back. Works beyond my expectations. It pretty much solves the tailbone issues I have and does not introduce any other comfort issues (was not sure with the type of firm foam I was using). Funny thing, yes it helps the TB issues - but I now have carpal tunnel from a solid two weeks of working on the seat and the hand stapling I did to attach the cover. If I was to do it again - I would definately buy an electric stapler!
:lol:
Silly Wabbitt -

That's what kids are for - yours or the neighbor's.

Ply them with sodas and promise them a ride when you're done.

:rolleyes:

I've always wondered what kind of stapler you would use and the length of the staples. Can you give some details on this when you get a chance.

I've always wondered what kind of stapler you would use and the length of the staples. Can you give some details on this when you get a chance.
Sure.

Plain ol' workshop stapler.

029X_Arrow_T50_stapler.jpg

Used short staples... I think they were 5/16".

The seat pan is very tough plastic. But, with a lot of pressure and a solid pull on the handle, the staples went in fine. The seat propbably has 50 staples in it to hold the cover. And I recovered it twice. Wrists still hurt. But I've also been moving 63lb retaining wall blocks so I'm not sure if its the seat or the wall I'm building. Ok, TMI. Gotta go.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool beans! Looks like you did a great job, especially the stitching since it's nothing you had done before!

So, just to clarify, the neoprene you used does not have some specific type of outer layering that will keep it dry, correct? I know my divesuit retains alot of water and I always wring the hell out it before hanging it to dry. I know you mentioned a possible seat covering for it, but what if you're just stuck in rain during a long ride? My concern would be getting the material underneath wet and unable to dry completely.... can you add any info here?

The covering material is neoprene. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber and has a lycra outer covering. You can get it with fabric on both sides (which I did) or fabric on one side with the rubber (smooth or knubby) exposed on the other side. The neoprene with one fabric side is used a lot in wet suits with the rubber side place toward the water.
I went with 2mm which seemed to be a good balance between strength and stretch to cover the seat. It is waterproof (good to protect the seat foam underneath) - but the top lycra layer will get wet in the rain. I'm not sure how much this will affect my riding - the material is thin and should dry out quickly.
Will be curious to see how "waterproof" it really is. . . . thinking it may take on more water than you think, but I certainly could be wrong. Had you tried waterboarding it before you applied it?! :)

Cool beans! Looks like you did a great job, especially the stitching since it's nothing you had done before!
So, just to clarify, the neoprene you used does not have some specific type of outer layering that will keep it dry, correct? I know my divesuit retains alot of water and I always wring the hell out it before hanging it to dry. I know you mentioned a possible seat covering for it, but what if you're just stuck in rain during a long ride? My concern would be getting the material underneath wet and unable to dry completely.... can you add any info here?
Me too I'm trying to picture this CJ ???? Not the neoprene on the seat so much as trying to picture you in a wet suit.....you must have that whole "smuggling grapes" thing going on! :blink: Sorry about the hijack but I couldnt help myself.