Do all windscreens wobble?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
I have a Givi on order as well as a MRA Vario I just got, so I mounted it to the stock screen just for fun. It actually works quite well but the screen still moves around enough to be pretty distracting. Is windscreen wobble just part of the design?

It's not a fixed windshield. It's mounted on the brackets that attach to the windshield actuator. It's going to wobble a bit. It's normal. Nothing is wrong with it. If you don't ignore it, it will drive you crazy So.......... Ignore It! :)

I have a Givi on order as well as a MRA Vario I just got, so I mounted it to the stock screen just for fun. It actually works quite well but the screen still moves around enough to be pretty distracting. Is windscreen wobble just part of the design?
I'm not sure about "all"

I have this one: https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

I believe it's the "Large 2006+", but not entirely certain, as it was installed by the previous owner. Installed on an '07.

He'd mentioned something about the stock screen wobbling, and that this was the best of the bunch. I have no personal experience. They did modify the mounts later (consult bin-o-facts) to reduce it.

The cal-sci screen, in my experience, doesn't wobble on the road noticeabley. Last month with my buddy I was parked in some heavy winds from the side/back, and he noted it was all over the place. So there's definately some play in the mounts. But with the major wind from the front, the cal-sci screen is pretty darn solid, ime.

The Cee Bailey screen seems to be a little stiffer than the OEM screen and thus has less flex. The mounting system does still move around some, this is normal and is nothing to worry about. Different windshields can't prevent movement since most of the movement is in the mount itself.

I ditched a Laminar Lip after one ride of 400 miles because it made the windscreen flap around

like grandma's underwear in a strong breeze. If you are autistic that shit is distracting.

I don't have a f$*%ing clue if my windshield wobbles. I like looking at shit out there that's trying to kill me, rather than watching the bike work.

What happened, Walt? Why are you dead?

Well, I was watching the windshield wobble, just couldn't help it, and suddenly I was face on to a KW cab-over grille. No idea how it got there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes windshields on the FJR wobble.

When I first got my '08 I thought there was something loose, but that was not the case.

I went from the stock windshield to a Yamaha touring windshield, it's about 4 inches taller and offered the same amount of wobble.

Some time latter the raising and lowering mechanism went south and had to be replaced (thank God for extended warranty)the new mechanism comes with two of the four tracks but the two outer tracts were replaced as well. Guess what, I had the same amount of wattle with everything new and replaced.

I am used to it now and don't even notice it, it's something you will get used to in time.

So concentrate on the road, enjoy the scenery and avoid becoming a decoration on a KW radiator.

I guess I concentrate on the road then cuz I really haven't noticed it but I do ride with it all the way down and it is still the stock shield. Now that it's starting to get cooler out I may have to raise her up some so maybe I will start to notice this.