Do you have a tire changer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradman

When Life Throws You A Curve..... Lean Into It
Reaction score
All of the dealerships and local shops charge at least $50 plus to put on a tire, when the tire is on the bike. They also want to sell the tire to us and are making at least $50 on the tire. It really irritates me when I know that they can do the front and back in twenty minutes or less and charge us for at least an hour's worth of labor and rape us on the cost of the tire.

I called one of the dealerships today and they wanted $170 for a 180/55/17 Michelin PRII rear tire, then with installation it would have been $210 plus tax. Crazy, just ridiculous. It shouldn't surprise me because these same guys look for a $5k profit for our style bikes. If not, they will not sell them. Last year I found a dealership in the area that would sell me a new Kaw Concours for $10,400 out the door, no trade, NIB ABS. The same bike with them was $15,900.

I am really thinking about buying one of these tools. The one from Harbor Freight is on Craigslist for $75 and they go up to $5k from there. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences.

Forgot to add this.... I have a friend nearby that has Michelin Pilot's front and rear for our bikes as a package, brand new for $180.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the HF set up for about 4 years now and it works fine for me. When I got the FJR I bought a Mojolever https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm and Mojoblocks for it so I wouldn't scrape up my new wheels. The HF changer isn't the easiest to use, but it's very affordable and if you're carefull and patient it'll do the job. The Mojolever helps a lot, I wish I would have gotten one years ago.

HF setup for me as well. I bolted mine to a half sheet of 3/4 in plywood with wing nuts so I can take it off for storing. I use the bar that came with the changer and a few pieces of oak and a couple of C clamps. I do have a few scars on my wheels from the bar slipping, so the Mojolever is probably a good idea.

Changing tires is not that hard once you get the hang of it, but it is dirty work and takes longer to do yourself than the mechanic who does them all the time can do them. I spend about an hour on each wheel when I add in time spent inspecting, cleaning and lubricating everything that is exposed once the wheel is off.

I've got a No Mar with the trailer hitch attachment and their balancer. It's damn handy. I've changed tires on my HD, my 2 Buells,a friends Kaw, my boat trailer, and now my FJR. The HD tires are a bear, but all the rest are pretty easy. The No Mar has paid for itself many times over in the last few years. I think I've changed 20 odd tires.

I have used the HF set up for about 4 years now and it works fine for me. When I got the FJR I bought a Mojolever https://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm and Mojoblocks for it so I wouldn't scrape up my new wheels. The HF changer isn't the easiest to use, but it's very affordable and if you're carefull and patient it'll do the job. The Mojolever helps a lot, I wish I would have gotten one years ago.
Same here except I cut up an old garden hose and used contact cement in the HF rim holders to avoid any metal to metal contact. Tire changing is more about technique than equipment except for the Mojolever, it would be very difficult to avoid scratching the rims without the Mojolever. I have changed 94 tires to date and can mount and dismount a sport touring tire in less than 5 minutes. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would pony up the cash for a No-Mar but I would still want to use a Mojolever to mount the tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it possiable to change them with tire irons?? dirt bike style??
Possbile? Sure.....anything's possible.

Likely? Not so much.

Concur on the Mojo bar. I'm up to about 10 or 15 tire changes and paid for my HF, Mojo Bar, and Marc Parnes balance twice now on shop rate alone....plus get to pick an choose my tire swaps more easily and put back on a few partials to wear out locally.

Same here except I cut up and old garden hose and used contact cement in the HF rim holders to avoid any metal to metal contact. Tire changing is more about technique than equipment except for the Mojolever, it would be very difficult to avoid scratching the rims without the Mojolever. I have changed 94 tires to date and can mount and dismount a sport touring tire in less than 5 minutes. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would pony up the cash for a No-Mar but I would still want to use a Mojolever to mount the tires.
I have an HF too, which I spent a lot of time modifying to prevent rim damage, etc. Finally put the Mojoblocks on, and you need a tiedown to keep the wheel from spinning. IMHO a better (and cheaper) bar is the https://www.no-scufftiretool.com and it works pretty slick and you don't break tips off like the NoMar or Cycle Hill (be sure to modify if you have one). Mine is mounted to a 3/4 piece of plywood too, but I think I'd like to put a hitch mount. The HF is a great one for personal use, and as you say, if I was doing it all over again, I would pony up if I was doing more than my own tires (friends can make a donation).

Cycle Hill is a cheaper version of the No-Mar, made by the same folks.

Wow! That's very positive feedback. I've found one of the HF models and the guy has the aftermarket bar, I'm not sure if it is the mojo or another brand. I'm going to look at it Thursday night. Thanks again guys. I feel like an idiot paying these guys so much for very little effort on their part.

I need to start researching the balancing options now.

Although it can be a challenge, FJR tires (including the rear) can be mounted with simple spoons. I have mounted several (more than 10 rear tires on the FJR) with (2) simple 12" spoons and a couple of large "C" clamps.

Although it can be a challenge, FJR tires (including the rear) can be mounted with simple spoons. I have mounted several (more than 10 rear tires on the FJR) with (2) simple 12" spoons and a couple of large "C" clamps.

Wow. That sounds pretty cool.

IMHO a better (and cheaper) bar is the https://www.no-scufftiretool.com and it works pretty slick and you don't break tips off like the NoMar or Cycle Hill (be sure to modify if you have one).
I hadn't heard of the no-scufftiretool but I looked at the video and it is almost an exact copy of the Mojolever. Either one will mount tires easier than the dual-tip NoMar bar (which requires that the tire be stretched further from the rim to mount...and will not work on a Goldwing rear tire).

I too am a spoon user. I was very close to getting the HF changer when I decided to just spend $35 on spoons and made a wall mounted bead breaker from some scrap 2x4's. I've changed 3 tires now and it takes me about 15 minutes to remove and mount a tire.

I've got a Coates 220; split the cost with a fellow track day rider. It is really, really, nice; a great feature is the built-in bead breaker. I, too, have changed tires using c-clamps and tire irons, and a tire changer is much better. I broke a bead once by laying the rim on the ground, putting a jack stand base on the tire, and jacking the car up until the bead finally broke. Ugly, but desperate times call for desperate measures and I couldn't get the bead to break using the c-clamps.

Whatever tire changer you get, I recommend rim protectors and Tire Slick. I bought a gallon of Tire Slick from a tire services wholesale store and it makes the job so much easier. And a gallon of that stuff will last a very long time. Another tip is, if possible, to heat the tires before changing. Depending on the temperature, I'll lay the mounted tire and the new tire in the sun for a while so the rubber gets soft.

I would say the the tire changer cut my tire-changing time by a lot more than half. And it's saved me tons of money over the years.

I've got a Coates 220; split the cost with a fellow track day rider. It is really, really, nice; a great feature is the built-in bead breaker. I, too, have changed tires using c-clamps and tire irons, and a tire changer is much better. I broke a bead once by laying the rim on the ground, putting a jack stand base on the tire, and jacking the car up until the bead finally broke. Ugly, but desperate times call for desperate measures and I couldn't get the bead to break using the c-clamps.

Whatever tire changer you get, I recommend rim protectors and Tire Slick. I bought a gallon of Tire Slick from a tire services wholesale store and it makes the job so much easier. And a gallon of that stuff will last a very long time. Another tip is, if possible, to heat the tires before changing. Depending on the temperature, I'll lay the mounted tire and the new tire in the sun for a while so the rubber gets soft.

I would say the the tire changer cut my tire-changing time by a lot more than half. And it's saved me tons of money over the years.

Gotcha. Warming the tire up is a good idea.

I've got a No Mar with the trailer hitch attachment and their balancer. It's damn handy. I've changed tires on my HD, my 2 Buells,a friends Kaw, my boat trailer, and now my FJR. The HD tires are a bear, but all the rest are pretty easy. The No Mar has paid for itself many times over in the last few years. I think I've changed 20 odd tires.
Same set up I have. Its been great! Once you get the hang of it, I can mount and balance a set in under an hour (wheels alredady removed of course).

OK, so the Dealer (Stealer as many call him) Local Repair Shops charge you $X to do what needs to be done to your machine (Bike/Car/Truck/Lawn Mower/Outboard/SnowMobile/ATV....etc-etc)

He has invested a lot of $ in real estate, rental, taxes, utilities, insurance, employee benefits, health insurance, dental insurance, training, franchise fees, floor plan interest fees, vehicle inventory, parts inventory, equipment, equipment up-grades, disposal fees, government regulations, administrative fees, retirement programs, Union Dues if applicable ...etc.. etc.

Paying a Technician/Mechanic/Grease Monkey a decent wage ( $18-$22 per hr)+ + + +

Not selling parts/tires at a loss.... (profit is good for business)

What's a good fee that will keep all of you happy?

Maybe you all could ship your tire/wheels to China, have them swap out your tires for nothing and just pay the FedEx charges.....

I just don't get it!

Thanks!....I'm done my Ramp.....>>>