Do You Use A Tank Bag When Riding Locally?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avigar

Reaction score
Once in a while, I wish I had a small tank bag to throw in extra gloves, an MP3 player, baseball cap, map, and other small stuff. Nothing big, just so I don't have to dismount and reach into the saddlebags for stuff. Which ones do you guys use? Maybe something with a shoulder strap perhaps?

Tank bag (Bagster set up). Tank bag is always on. Side cases are on half the time.

I never thought I would like having that bag in my chest blocking my view, but it's not and it doesn't. I can't believe I rode all those years with my pockets full of sh*t!

I use a Nelson-Rigg tank bag CMB300B (B for Blue). It is fairly small and stays out of the way. Perfect for carying the wallet, cellphone, baseball cap, sunglasses, water bottles, etc, but very expandable in case I want to carry larger items. It includes a map bag, shoulder strap and a rain cover. I can say I am perfectly happy with it.

Here is the bag in eBay for $50.00: eBay link

I have an XM radio so I do not need an Ipod or similar. I have a luggage locker on the rear seat that I use to store any day use stuff. Hardly ever use the hard bags.

I have a Yamaha Supersport tank bag, like FJRGoodies.com sells. I got mine from the dealer I purchased my bike from. I pretty much use it all the time. It's very handy to have, like a big ole man-purse.

Unlike TWN I have never kept shit in my pockets, but I do carry a lot of stuff in this bag. Camera, batteries, water, lunch, etc, etc.

Len

I got tired of taking >25lbs of saddlebags every day to work, just so I could carry a water bottle. I bought an Icon primer pack tankbag/backpack. It kicks ass.

you don't notice it's there at all while riding. When I get off the bike and wanna walk around (like riding to a public event") I can clip in the helmet, stash my gloves in the pack, and it's all on my shoulders. For $50 or less, it's a must have.

[SIZE=21pt]IMPORTANT WARNING[/SIZE]

I wouldn't advise using magnetically mounted tankbags with hard drive based mp3 players such as the ipod.

'nuff said.

I use a Marsee tankbag. Expandable and well built. I just checked their site and they have a new (first I've seen it at least) eTankbag that is powered by Powerlet.

Marsee eTankbag

The one that I use is similar to this one.

mightymini.jpg

Marsee has a number of different mounting systems to include some non-magnetic types.

Marsee Non-Powered Tankbags

My favorite thing about my tank bag is the map pocket. I use it on trips, more than around town. I usually carry my camera bag in it, plus other things that I need easy access to or are too valuable to leave on the bike. The bag has a three-clip harness. When the bag is not on the bike, you don't see the harness.

Mainly, for everyday use, I use my top box. It rarely leaves the bike. I know that some people think they are ugly and ruin the lines of the bike, but for me the practicality outweighs the "ugly factor".

DesertedVillage.jpg

I always have a tank bag on my FJR. It holds the wife's and my rain suits. Never do know when you'll need them here in Vermont.

I've been using the Roadgear Magnetic Sport Tank Bag for years on lots of different bikes. On the FJR is fits darn nearly perfectly, has a nice compromise between capacity and bulk, mounts very securely, and goes on/off the bike in seconds. Perfect for a water bottle, faceshield cleaner, extra pair of gloves, earplugs, cell phone, a camera, a journal, and maps.

https://www.roadgear.com/catalog/index.cfm?...tle=Tank%20Bags

When I used it on an R1, it did give me a couple moments where, when fully packed, it would work its way aft at high speeds or in crosswinds and worry me that it might leave the bike, although it never did. But on the FJR, it fits so well and the FJR has so much wind protection, it stays put nicely, even during a brief excursion to the bike's 155 mph indicated top end.

Yamaha specifically gave us a steel tank so that mag mounts would work. I say take advantage of this. (Although the concern about magnet storage devices is well founded - I haven't had trouble with CF in cameras .... yet.)

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Tourmaster 12 strap on. Never had a tankbag before, now can't imagine not having it. Cheap ($55) and always on as opposed to the side weights.

First post over here at the new site. Very nice spot!

I use a Cortech Super Mini strap mount. I find it just perfect for day jaunts without the saddlebags. I keep my hat, cell phone, camera, spare gloves, maps, etc. in it. Plenty of room for that. Nice and compact, too.

Ed

Tank bags are a pretty cool piece of luggage. I use the Fieldsheer Eiffel tank-bag on a daily basis, which I really like because it comes in 3 pieces which I can mix&match depending on how much stuff I need to take along. The bottom piece is just the magnetic bottom with map-holder and fabric to hold it all together. The next two pieces are a medium-sized tank bag and an expandable small-sized tankbag. These can be zipped to the base piece individually or separately. Both have clearview map holders on top, backpack straps, and opaque rain covers. Also, the medium sized bag has a multitude of external and internal pockets, though the small one does not. Here's the mfgr's pic.

83280907.jpg

I used to use a tankbag all the time. Mounted a Givi V46 and that's all I really need to commute and around town. Don't have to worry about some thief lifting it off the bike like a bag.

TourMaster Cortech tankbag (in blue, of course!); magnetic and small but adequate for all the small stuff I like to keep handy... I use two map cases. One for maps and one with my GPS unit attached.

tankbagbikeSmall.jpg

Nice setup Sickdog. Any problem with the display vibrating?

Note to admin: Sorry, I hit report by mistake. :unsure: