Do You Use A Tank Bag When Riding Locally?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tank bag for me is like AMX, I don't leave home without it! I've got the Tourmaster expandable set. Very happy with the setup. BTW, nice job sickdog!

Mike

Have an Oxford tank bag with a tailpack conversion kit. I have been using it now primarily as a tail pack. Single day rides it works perfect. Enough room for raingear, gloves, cell phone, camera etc. Its expandable. Don't have a picture on the FJR yet but here it is expanded on my Bandit.

P6130096.jpg

Tourmaster mag mount daily... Clear map pocket, plenty of room for tire repair kit, lunch, cell phone, etc... Hard bags only go on for longer trips when needed.

--G

I use a Marsee 19L non-magnetic tank bag. It has a good profile for the FJRs tank and is an expandable bag, which I normally leave unexpanded. It holds all the crap I need for a ride. I don't pack gear for a ride, I just fill the water bottle and pack a change of clothes in the hard bags, then go. I still want a hydration system mounted to the bike, but other than that. the tank bag has served me well for my daily and trip needs.

Definately one of the best additions to the FJR. I use an RKA 23 Litre and have added a Powerlet setup for phone, gps, etc. Having a map always available to look at is a plus, although I wouldn't recommend doing any serious mapping while riding it makes it much easier to pull of the side of the road, take a quick look and then back at it. Not as good as a GPS, but a definate plus.

Try it you'll like it. B)

I bought the Yamaha Supersport Touring Tank Bag from FJR Goodies thinking I would use it only on long trips. Well it is so convinient that I use it almost everytime I ride now. Everything is right there and easy to get to. Easy to pull off (just magnets holding it on) and take with (shoulder strap included), big enough to hold a lot of stuff, yet small enough to carry around if need be. It's narrow enough not to get in the way riding or carrying over your shoulder. Well worth it for me.

I have Rev-Pak strap-on tankbags on all my streetbikes and never take them off, except when staying at a motel. I also never remove the hardcases on my '04 FJR. Don't see any reason to do so and I think the FJR looks a lot better with the hardcases on anyway.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

I have a 15L Marsee Teardrop Strap Mount. I use the front (removable) pocket to hold a threeway female cig lighterplug, which is plugged to a Powerlet Super-Duper to cig lighter, which is plugged into a switched Powerlet Female outlet in panel "D". I take the tank bag off for short rides, but keep it on for longer (long enough to need the XM Radio) rides or rides where my wife goes along(Autocom is powered with the same threeway plug).

Briano

I allway ride with my tankbag.Holds camel pack,sonymp3 cd player,gloves,cellphone,sunglasses,digital camera,aa batteries.Won't leave home without it.
22806028-M.jpg

I also use an RKA 23 Expandable Magnetic bag. Instant access to things I use the most :

gloves,sunglasses,helmet shield cleaner and rag,medication,cell phone,ear plugs,water,camera,garage door opener,maps,heat troller for vest. What would I do with all this stuff without a tank bag? :blink:

I've never particularly liked tank bags but am thinking about giving them a try. Do you protect your tank with anything? Do the bags scuff up the paint?

Bob

I've never particularly liked tank bags but am thinking about giving them a try. Do you protect your tank with anything? Do the bags scuff up the paint?Bob
I have been using magnetic tank bags for years on many bikes and use nothing to protect tank. Have never scratched the paint either.

I have the same bag as Sickdog (Tourmaster Coretech) but it's black, not blue, and I don't have a GPS metal plate doobeejabber. I usually only use it on trips out of town, preferring to use the side cases, which are almost always on the bike.

I just got a Nelson-Rigg tank bag and use it all the time. Lets me take the bags off the side and throw what I need in the tank bag. Of course, when you leave the bike you gotta take your man purse with you - but what the heck.

I've got a cortech super-mini that works great for me. Holds flashlight,garage door opener keys,wallet,cell phone,camera,sunglasses,McGiver,lip balm and badges for work. Would be lost without it

Larry

Bluemoto,

No concern for tank damage, gun is at the top of everything else in the bag. This also insulates it from the heat so I don't have to worry about a round cooking off from the heat and doing damage to anything precious. :D

I got tired of taking >25lbs of saddlebags every day to work, just so I could carry a water bottle. I bought an Icon primer pack tankbag/backpack. It kicks ass.
you don't notice it's there at all while riding. When I get off the bike and wanna walk around (like riding to a public event") I can clip in the helmet, stash my gloves in the pack, and it's all on my shoulders. For $50 or less, it's a must have.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>IMPORTANT WARNING</span>

I wouldn't advise using magnetically mounted tankbags with hard drive based mp3 players such as the ipod.

'nuff said.
is the ipod nano affected by magnets???

I also use the Cortech super mini. I keep tools, maps, flashlight etc. in it. Pretty much on the bike all of the time.