Do you use the clutch when you upshift?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that anyone cares at this point, but most of my upshifts have been clutch-less for years. Most of the time if I am not going at rapid pace, I use the clutch on the 1st to 2nd gear shift, but otherwise I love the smoothness of the clutchless upshift.

* * Motocross racers NEVER use the clutch. (Well almost never, we use them to get started and in a few particular Oh Shit moments, but usually never is accurate).
This should read, "Motocross racers ALWAYS use their clutch but seldom use their clutch for up shifting". In motocross racing you will use, misuse and abuse the clutch. Your clutch is your best friend. You use the clutch for every corner and for most down shifts. In the corners you will come into the corner a gear high and use the clutch to keep the "R's" up for a faster exit speed. On down shifts you will use your clutch because so many times you are dropping more than one gear and setting up for the next corner. In street riding you can use your clutch for many of the same reasons. Don’t be afraid to use your clutch. You will not hurt it and it can become your best friend.

Another awesome pearl - gave it a try today and was amazed at how smooth and easy it is - great tip guys :lol:
yea, this thread was on my mind this morning, I did the blip clutchless thing a couple times on my way into work. Was kinda hoping for an apostolic spiritual event............my legs did quiver a little bit, but that was about it.....................I guess the thrill is gone.

It was pretty cool to do it for a change, but I guess it's up to the operator.......what ever floats your boat at the moment.

Thanx Jestal, your post helped me understand some things!

* * Motocross racers NEVER use the clutch. (Well almost never, we use them to get started and in a few particular Oh Shit moments, but usually never is accurate).
This should read, "Motocross racers ALWAYS use their clutch but seldom use their clutch for up shifting". In motocross racing you will use, misuse and abuse the clutch. Your clutch is your best friend. You use the clutch for every corner and for most down shifts. In the corners you will come into the corner a gear high and use the clutch to keep the "R's" up for a faster exit speed. On down shifts you will use your clutch because so many times you are dropping more than one gear and setting up for the next corner. In street riding you can use your clutch for many of the same reasons. Don’t be afraid to use your clutch. You will not hurt it and it can become your best friend.
Having ridden dirt bikes for a couple of years in my youth, I found it inevitable that you would change without the clutch, both up and down. The jumps and bumps mean that you daren't let go to grab the lever so you would stab the gear shift, doubtles doing damage because of the aggression with which it was done.

On a race bike I would change up without the clutch but always used it going down to avoid over-revving and locking the rear or worse still siezure on a 2 stroke. Changing up it is smooth as silk if you time it right, going down it often feels like you are forcing something to fit.

On the road, its smoother when the circumstances suit. I never do it downshifting, probably a hangover from screaming 2 stroke days.

Last edited by a moderator:

My summary was in jest (no pun intended).

As a former dirt rider, I would almost always use the clutch or never use the clutch, what ever was appropriate at the time.

As much as I didn't use it, it was certainly abused and I've replaced quite a few.

So what ever that adds up to, that's what it means.

:p

(Ride it like you stole it, comes to mind)

When desired, the clutch produces gears 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 nicely! :)

I have noticed on the 07 (with the crappy/snappy clutch action), that slight pressure on the clutch lever provides just the right amount of limited slip to allow effortless and smooth speed shifting 3-4-5. That's what we dirt boyz call it, Speed-shifting.

I'm trying to get that smooth jerkless auto tranny shift with the clutch. I'm still in the learning curve, trying to find that 1/2 inch-or so of lever throw to find the 'sweet spot' that gives me the friction I need. No jerk shifts at all speeds and smooth steering-locked (and held) u-turns for parking lots. Duck paddling looks sad. 'specially during bikeweek ;)

Snicking a shift up and down w/o the clutch is much easier to do smoothly.

Like I said, I'm pursuing the learning curve of this clutch, that will pay off in u-turns, oily toll booth stops, snow, etc.

Smooth clutchless shifts do bring a smile, tho

I'm trying to get that smooth jerkless auto tranny shift with the clutch. I'm still in the learning curve, trying to find that 1/2 inch-or so of lever throw to find the 'sweet spot' that gives me the friction I need. No jerk shifts at all speeds and smooth steering-locked (and held) u-turns for parking lots. Duck paddling looks sad. 'specially during bikeweek ;)
Snicking a shift up and down w/o the clutch is much easier to do smoothly.

Like I said, I'm pursuing the learning curve of this clutch, that will pay off in u-turns, oily toll booth stops, snow, etc.

Smooth clutchless shifts do bring a smile, tho
Having rebuilt two different street bike trannies after severely thrashing them in my youth doing this (the two Nighthawk 700S's in my list), I would simply caution that clutchless shifting does still wear/damage the shift DOGS. This was confirmed by the senior mechanic in the shop at the time. Unless they radically changed bike trannies over the last 15 years, I would think this still holds true.

Dirt riding comparisons are somewhat moot. The dogs in my YZ250 were slightly beefier, but you used the clutch almost religiously when racing. I still grip the clutch with 2 fingers and the brake with 1 out of old racing habit. Likewise, I still use my clutch for every shift and take it easy on my shift dogs.

The ends of the "forks" on the dogs get beat down from the forcing. The shifting action was not meant to have resistance of the magnitude often encountered when "pre-loading" the shifter and performing a "clutchless shift." Why not just buy an AE and get it over with if pulling your left lever seems to bother you? Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, all this talk made me want to go out and try it, which I did yesterday. It's really pretty darn easy to do, but it does take some getting used to. I'm still working on my shifting but I'm getting the hang of it, although I did chirp the tires a couple of times going into 3rd :rolleyes: Done correctly, shifting this way is alot smoother than using the clutch. Done incorrectly, I worry about damaging something even though I never did hear any grinding. Interesting tidbit here: the only grinding I heard was when I got on the throttle somewhat hard and used the clutch.

I tried this yesterday some, and it is smooth if you can hit that point where there is no pressure on the transmission. I kind of like the jerk from shifting with the clutch though. Guess it's from driving a stick for so long...

I don't plan to use it every day but it is nice to develop the skill for those times when you just don't feel like going to the trouble - plus 3-4 and 4-5 is just an easy toe lift that never even required the blip - :yahoo:

Jestal, thank you for your informative, thoughtful and interesting post. I know that must have taken time to write. I always enjoy your explanations of mechanical goings-on. Your other name isn't Cameron by any chance? :D I emailed this thread to myself for my personal collection of instructive explanations having to do with motorcycling.

Now I just need to get my back healed up and the bike out of the shop (being farkled) so I can try it my own-self.

Slower relaxing cruises or in traffic, I seem to use the clutch most of the time. Riding more aggressively I usully don't use it upshifting 3-4 &4-5.

Awesome post Jestal, Renegade and a few others. I also pasted Jestal's post into my many documents of information.

I do it, but could never have explained it that well or clear.

I use the clutch sometimes, sometimes not. I used to ride dirt a lot and am back into it. Dirt and Street, whatever, I have been blipping and downshifting without the clutch for a very long time on all bikes. Sometimes clutchless upshifts. No problem if done right.

It is a very sweet sound when you roll on the throttle, blast down a country road, and perform 3-4 buttery soft ultra quick clutchless upshifts on the FJR. The AE....blah, not required, and no faster. IMHO of course. Fill your boots.

I am a blipper, and have been for many years.

Go blippers !!