Does it get any easier?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xharleyrider

Reaction score
Did my throttle bodies today. Actually pretty easy once you get to the bodies. On a scale of 1-10 I would say 5. However on a scale of 1-10 to get the fuel tank to line back up, I would say 10+!! What a pain in the ass! It is a good thing I had two of my friends to help. I can not see you lining up the tank by yourself unless there is a secret way of doing it. If there is, please let me know.

The throttle bodies weren't to out of line. #1 and #4 were off by 10mm compared to #2 and #3. Once I did the sync I took it for a quick ride on the Hwy. The 70-80 MPH range vibration is gone! Now that I know how to do it, there is no reason to pay a stealer $150-200 range when I can do it for free in less then 45 mins. Well 15 mins for the bodies and 30 mins for the tank. :)

What exactly was the problem getting the tank lined up? I don't remember anything significant when I changed the plugs and modified the throttle return spring on my '06 and I had the tank completely off. I presume you just tilted your tank up since you had to get fuel to the engine to do the sync?

What exactly was the problem getting the tank lined up? I don't remember anything significant when I changed the plugs and modified the throttle return spring on my '06 and I had the tank completely off. I presume you just tilted your tank up since you had to get fuel to the engine to do the sync?

Yes I tilted the tank up and supported it with a piece of wood. When I was done and tried to line up the two screws in the front of the tank they were about a inch short of the holes. So after a lot of pushing and pulling on the tank I finally got then lined up. If you now of another way, I am all ears.....

Yes I tilted the tank up and supported it with a piece of wood. When I was done and tried to line up the two screws in the front of the tank they were about a inch short of the holes. So after a lot of pushing and pulling on the tank I finally got then lined up. If you now of another way, I am all ears.....
Loosen up the pivot bolt back by the seat and all becomes easier to line up.

On my GenII, the pivot bolt doesn't allow the tank to rotate high enough to actually work on anything.

I usually remove it, rotate the tank to the position I want and then reinsert the pivot bolt with the front of the tank supported.

When I'm ready to button everything up I remove the pivot bolt, lower the tank and then reinsert the pivot bolt with the rest of the fasteners.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my GenII, the pivot bolt doesn't allow the tank to rotate high enough to actually work on anything.
I usually remove it, rotate the tank to the position I want and then reinsert the pivot bolt with the front of the tank supported.

When I'm ready to button everything up I remove the pivot bolt, lower the tank and then reinsert the pivot bolt with the rest of the fasteners.

Thanks for the advise. I was hoping that there was an easier way...

Gravity can easily work against you if the tank is full or above half.

Keep rear bolt loose, lift forward on tank, get front two bolts started and then snug down the rear when you are done.

Loosen up the pivot bolt back by the seat and all becomes easier to line up.
BINGO! ding - ding - ding - ding! :eek:

I had the same issue on my Gen1 first time. I didn't loosen up the pivot bolt and had nearly a full tank of fuel. AGGGH! :blink:

Next time did the pivot bolt (I said duh to myself) and had only about 1 gallon of fuel. No issues at all! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny gas tank story:

I just had my tank off yesterday doing a little work and didn't get the fuel line plugged in all the way. I started the bike up and made it 2 miles down

the road before it started missing. When I stopped the engine was still running and I quickly got a 2 foot wide puddle of gas under me. I instantly cut the engine off

so nothing bad happened. But the bad part was having to call my wife and get her to bring me my toolbox on the side of the road.

Funny gas tank story:
I just had my tank off yesterday doing a little work and didn't get the fuel line plugged in all the way. I started the bike up and made it 2 miles down

the road before it started missing. When I stopped the engine was still running and I quickly got a 2 foot wide puddle of gas under me. I instantly cut the engine off

so nothing bad happened. But the bad part was having to call my wife and get her to bring me my toolbox on the side of the road.

That sucks! Nobody other motorcyclist stoped to help?

Gravity can easily work against you if the tank is full or above half.
Keep rear bolt loose, lift forward on tank, get front two bolts started and then snug down the rear when you are done.
Good point about the weight of the fuel working against you. That thing is a pain to work with when it's nearly full. Without taking this thread too far afield, and since the question's been answered, anyone know what the minimum amount of fuel is needed when the tank is propped up to still have enough for the engine run for the TB sync?