Does this look like $9K worth of damage to you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocdmachine

Reaction score
:( I'm gonna cry! :(

You may have read about my little accident is the Rides thread. I really am surprised at the damage estimate, over NINE GRAND! Dang, the insurance company will total a motorcycle at 60%. Does this look that bad?

Almost all the damage is on the LEFT side

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

Of course my little bit of mods!

pins.jpg

The Yamaha dealer just faxed me the estimate, have not heard back yet from the insurance company but I sure don't have a good feeling!

At 9k it will be totaled.

My last crash over a year and a half ago, the damage was $5500 on my 04 FJR, which was $500 or so from being totaled. I kinda wish they would have, as I would have bought it back from them for cheap, and then fixed it myself as I did anyways, saving some serious $$$$.

$9k sounds a bit expensive from what I can see, but shit adds up quick.

Besides the obvious, what else are they listing as needing repair. I mean, I see the entire front end with all plastic, headlight assy, all windscreen motor stuff, and obviously the front subframe. Looks like the gauges are good. So what else?

Forks? Frame?

Consider rebuilding it yourself once you get those silly yellow things out of your wrist. BTDT.

Well, if they are going to total it, I would sure as hell try to buy it back from the insurance company, and either keep or sell the parts.

Hard to say if it is $9k of damage or not. Is the frame cracked or bent?

The dealer did say that they have to add the frame on the estimate even if not damaged (???). That is $1300 worth but everything else seems to fairings, cowlings, seals, nut & bolts, etc and LH fork assembly. The labor on the estimate is $1,368. I wonder what the Insurance Co would sell it to me for?

RATS, this bike had only 4,000 miles!

Last edited by a moderator:
The dealer did say that they have to add the frame on the estimate even if not damaged (???). That is $1300 worth but everything else seems to fairings, cowlings, seals, nut & bolts, etc and LH fork assembly. The labor on the estimate is $1,368. I wonder what the Insurance Co would sell it to me for?
RATS, this bike had only 4,000 miles!
Pffft!

Adding frame if not damaged? What a bunch of B.S.!

Still, if you don't mind having a salvage title, this could be a deal for you buying it back from the insurance company and rebuilding it yourself. By using discount parts vendors, ebay, and perhaps not replacing some parts that are cosmetic only, you could probably fix it for $2000-$5000.

If you don't want to buy the totaled bike from the ins co, let me know. I might.

Only 4,000 miles, what a bummer.

Left upper, left lower, nose cowl, headlights, inner panels on left side (at least), front subframe, front fender, stator cover (with gasket). Bags were off the bike? You don't show the back plastic, anything happening there? You list LH fork, I dunno what that's worth, and if the frame is not being replaced, there's no legal reason to list it in the estimate.

The first part of the list is pretty much the same as my list from a lowside last October, which was under $2500, including a helmet, boots, and gloves, and the LH sidebag (almost $500 by itself.) I didn't need the front subframe, maybe that's 6 or 7 grand. . . . .

Hope yer hand heals up....that looks pretty nasty with them thar yeller plugs stuck in it.

Used to be -- insurance companies had difficulty getting rid of salvage and felt lucky if the owner/crasher would give them some money for the salvage. Not anymore -- often they have contracts with salvage outfits and, even if they don't, they now (and for about the past 10 years, or so) find the salvage business quite lucrative. Since the internet their salvage market is huge. Most insurance companies will readily sell salvage to anyone -- often at about 50% of used value -- without regard to whether it will be succssfully/professionally repaired and safe.

This cost $7200+ and the insurance company didn't total it. However, the original estimate was about $6400. It grew the additional $800 during teardown. Insurance paid but were real unhappy with the final bill. No frame damage but a new set of exhausts and all the tupperware.

Clicky

Here's another comparison for you... I hit a deer last August, the repairs were $5,700, but I didn't lay it down, the forks weren't tweaked, and the sub-frame wasn't bent. It's an '05 with around 20k miles. Good luck with the healing part, glad you're still here.

Pics of my wrecked FJR here.

Here's another comparison for you... I hit a deer last August, the repairs were $5,700, but I didn't lay it down, the forks weren't tweaked, and the sub-frame wasn't bent. It's an '05 with around 20k miles. Good luck with the healing part, glad you're still here.Pics of my wrecked FJR here.
You hit a deer and didn't bend the forks? Were ya doin', like, 2mph or backing out of the garage? ;)

Rancho

If that's 9k worth of damage then I'd say one of two things are happening:

1) The dealer's estimate is for anything and everything that has a scratch on it including the hardware that mounts any given part

2) Dealer's padding the estimate with parts (like a frame, for example) and taking the list price on everything.

Looking at these pics, I'd guess no more than 5k if the forks and frame are still good....but that's just a keyboard-jockey of a guess going by the pics posted here.

FJRwreck016.jpg

FJRwreck013.jpg

This was mine after my wreck. 6K +/- and that included a broken frame replacement.

I wish they had totaled it because its still not fixed pushing 6 months later with no news in sight

Hope yer hand heals up....that looks pretty nasty with them thar yeller plugs stuck in it.
I can't help it... odot, that sounds so caring, thoughtful, sensitive, and sincere.

Maybe it's time you moved to California, ....... sunshine. :D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Michael - THAT IS GREAT!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think he's "comin' out" to get married.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrecked my 04 in May and the insurance company totaled it. I got hit pretty hard on the rear wheel and I didn't think it would be very easy to get it back in "before" condition. No telling what was bent out of whack. It got popped hard enough to break all three spokes loose from the rim. So I'm kind of glad it was totaled. Oh, by the way, I got a brace for my left arm just like that. No pins, just steel plates and screws.

GP