Does your other 1/2 ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much does she ride?

• 90-100% She loves to ride as much as I do!

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • 75% She mostly enjoys it.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • 50% Not her first choice but she rides when I ask her to.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25% She goes occasionaly just to appease me.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 10% She rides once or twice a year for a short distance.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 0% No way in hell she's ever getting on a bike!

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • What's a wife or girlfriend? lol

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
My wife loves to ride her own FZ1. The problem is that she also has a very, very small temperature window. I am trying to convince her to get heated gear. We have a blast when she does go. We talk on the SMH10 blue tooth headsets while we explore SW Michigan. I say she rides 25% of what I do. We never ride together anymore unless we're going to get one of our bikes out of maintenance.

SS851711.jpg
SS851712.jpg

My wife loves to ride her own FZ1.
I was thinking about getting my wife another bike for her to ride again. The FZ6R or the FZ1 are what I was thinking about. Those seem like good more upright bikes and are lighter weight. Is your wife happy with her FZ1? What are the pros/cons of this bike from a woman's perspective? My wife is about 5'-5 or 5'-6", how is the seat height? (not sure how tall your wife is).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say MeAsWe loves to ride as much as I do. We have completed 2 IBA NP tours, been taken out by a tornado, been taken out by a forest rat and she still climbs on for the next adventure. She has well over 50,000 miles under her belt as a pillion since 2009 and we are on the way to FL this spring for another 17 day journey. She would love to ride her own, has gotten her license, but a small affair with a wall has created a bit of edgyness she is having a hard time getting over. As pillion she is one with the FJR (although she enjoyed the Connie better), so much so it is as if I am riding solo. The places we have seen and experiences we have had, make us 2 lucky people. :yahoo:

Willie

I was thinking about getting my wife another bike for her to ride again. The FZ6R or the FZ1 are what I was thinking about. Those seem like good more upright bikes and are lighter weight. Is your wife happy with her FZ1? What are the pros/cons of this bike from a woman's perspective? My wife is about 5'-5 or 5'-6", how is the seat height? (not sure how tall your wife is).

My other ride is an FZ6 and I am about the same height as your wife.

It was my 1st bike, and I love it still. I bit buzzy for long trips, but quite comfy. I have bar risers, heated grips, a touring screen and hardcase luggage (3 piece). It's weight is more female friendly for stops etc, and is every bit capable to keep up with a FJR comfortably. (I did, for the 1st couple seasons on my FZ6)

You're a bit far away, but my FZ6 is for sale *hint, hint*

My wife loves to rida as well. She currently has a 2007 VFR that replaced an 06 VFR that she put 72,000 miles on before giving it to her sister. She also has a 2001 Gixxer 600 she does track days with. We both rode up the the EOM in Kentucky from South Florida and have ridden up to Canada as well. Does she love to ride? Well, she did 8 track days last year as well as a 300-400 mile ride every Sunday when she was not at the track. Yes, a 200% spot should have been included in the poll.

My wife loves to ride and will only ride her own bikes. She currently has two bikes a Ninja 650R and KLX250s dual sport. She is an absolute trooper and can ride hundreds of miles in a day on either bike.

She is my camera operator so I don't have many pictures of her on the bikes.

Lytle Creek

DSC04368.jpg

Lunch stop in Bryce Canyon

DSC04453-1.jpg

My 10 year old son likes to ride like his parents

DSC05920.jpg

My wife loves the FZ1. I thought it might be too much power, but that has never been a problem. And when she wants to give me grief she just rolls on the throttle and leaves me trying to keep up. When we bought the bike we had the dealer put in a 2 inch lowering link. They also took the kickstand off, cut it, and then welded it back together. We have a great dealer and they made everything look factory. Nicci loves the light weight of the FZ1 and she feels very confident with the seat height of the lowered bike. She is 5'3". I don't think we will ever sell it because she loves it so much, but she did like the Victory Vegas when she test drove that last year. I may have to get a better job and a bigger garage! :)

Ok thanks 2000LX!

BTW I'm very impressed with the amount of lady riders on this forum. It is by far the best showing of ladies that either like to ride 2up or ride their own bike that I've seen. That's really good to see!

Some of these ladies put us guys to shame!!! :dribble: ...... :D

Besides women that ride are just simply HOT! :yahoo:

My wife and I are retired, she is with me on every trip we take on the FJR, doesn't want to be a pilot, just enjoys the ride and meeting people.

My wife rode with me once or twice while we were dating in college 25 years ago. Hasn't been on since.
You rode your usual pace and scared the dickens out of her...admit it. ;)

:D

My wife doesn't ride. When our kids were younger we would go out on a mcy weekend maybe once a year...making sure her elderly mom wouldn't find out. Then she was her mom's caretaker for awhile so no rides on the back of the bike. This year is the first year we are going to take mcy vacation of a week together...hopefully it will turn out well and she will enjoy it.

But no...she doesn't ride her own bike, nor have the desire to. Who knows, maybe that will change.

Since the original post talked about significant others, I'm sure it can be applied to husbands too. My husband has been riding almost as long as I have. If necessary, I can mention who got their MC license first. We both rode with a group of kids in the UK when we were seventeen or so. That was on a couple of Honda CB200's. These days, we both have BMW GS. He has the 1200 and I have the 650. Those are both used for commuting daily.

For weekends, from September to May, he rides a KTM 450 and I ride his Yamaha WR250. I have a Honda CRF230L of my own but the dual sport that lets me touch a toe to the ground doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities of the pure dirt bike.

We used to do a fair bit of touring, on my FJR and his BMW K1200S but a careless driver changed that, a few years ago. I still have the FJR which gets out every now and again but I must admit that the little GS is a much better bike for me because of the seat height and weight.

Once a year, we do take a two week road trip on the bikes. Last summer, it was a tour of Utah and Colorado. This year, it will be the Lake Tahoe area of CA.

Likes to ride, but not as much in a day as I enjoy. Not a foul-weather fan. Has her M endorsement and is all checked out, but hasn't piloted since the little ones arrived. All in due time.

A year ago, I would have had to choose that "she goes occasionally just to appease me" option. She rode her own bike, but with a very narrow temperature and distance range. First a Rebel 250, then a Shadow 750. Everything changed when I convinced her to take a look at an FZ6R this summer.

new_fz6r.jpg

Now she enjoys riding so much that she chose to take the bikes instead of the car for a weekend trip in November (in Michigan)! She also occasionally (at least once a week when weather is nice) leaves me home with the kids in the evening so she can go for a ride. She's looking forward to more weekend trips, especially now that we've setup the bike for touring and have Chatterboxes for communication.

side.jpg

That's awesome Pickles! My wife sat on one this weekend and she really likes this bike. We're looking for a good used one right now. I think the bike looks very good with the Givi saddlebags as well.

What did the Givi bags & mounting brackets cost you?

My fiance has been on the back of a bike twice. She is terrfied of riding motorcycles, so I am starting slow. I took her on a lazy 20mph cruise through a park in New Orleans, and last weekend I took her on her second trip, this time to a farmer's market about 5 miles from home (30mph roads through New Orleans). I am careful to shift smoothly and not goose the throttle, and to watch the 4-wheelers so-as to not end up in a close call (although I know one is coming, they always do). She's really excited now, so much so that we are looking at getting her a helmet and jacket for a highway ride (maybe US 90 along the Gulf Coast). It's a slow process but I am starting to get her interested in riding more, but she doesn't want to go too much, which allows me to head out with teh guys solo whenever I want.

Chris

What did the Givi bags & mounting brackets cost you?
$767 shipped from sporttour.com, including the soft inner bags.

Cases: https://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=2355

Mounting kit: https://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=2538 (title of the item is incorrect; it really is the sidecase kit)

It's a really nice mounting system. Most of the frame can be removed in just a couple minutes. More details here: https://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f75/givi-v35-side-case-photos-mounting-brackets-etc-23811/

And add some custom reflective decals for night-time visibility: https://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f89/reflective-tape-givi-v35-side-cases-24077/

The windshield is a Puig Touring windshield. We found that the "double bubble" racing shields are just marginally better than the stock shield. The touring shield is a significant improvement for freeway riding comfort.