Doing 1000 miles in 24 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I partially agree with some of what he says, but, to make a generalization for all riders is just plain wrong. He obviously hasn't done an IBA run and it's also obvious that he has no desire to try it. I don't think of him any less as a rider, just as one that doesn't share the same passion while on 2 wheels.

This guy has been a joke to the endurance community for about 10 years now. This version of the document is seriously edited from when it first went on line. It now has all sorts of qualifying statements before it gets into his rant. Bottom line is, just like when it first went on line, he extrapolates his personal limitations to universal "Truths".

The really sad part is that he (was asking) something like $600 an hour as an "Expert Witness". That says a lot about who is out there representing YOU.

I believe that the writer is cautioning the unwary not to try an Iron Butt without knowing what they are getting into.
I will say that is an incorrect assumption. I was on a mailing list with him when he "acquired" posted discussions about technical things and then posted them to his web site without crediting the original authors (that whole "expert" thing again). that was the primary reason for that mail list to add it's copyright notice (which hadn't been there until that fiasco). When questioned about the 1k day issue, he made it clear that he was saying exactly what he was writing. Don't attribute anything other than what the title says to his intent. After being blasted for years by feedback from people who ride the mile safely all the time, he started stuffing in buffer statements but never changing the core of the article. In his mind any day with more than 350 miles in it will kill you so you will no longer be a problem -- and he does consider you a problem.

Remember that and his "Expert Witness" business when making bench racing statements in public forums.

What bike does he ride? A Gold Wing.

Who bestowed such lofty credentials on him? Himself

what He did to earn it? Nothing beyond asking for people to post technical articles to a Wings list and then using them on his web site. The good stuff there is typically sourced from elsewhere. His own creations end up as filth like #38.

I also noticed that, with this most recent revision, he's removed the feedback he had from that article. :****:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever watch Olympic Ski Jumping? Do you think these guys start out jumping 500+feet at 65 mph? LD riding is just like any other sport; you train up to it. Some will never be as good as others but everyone can improve their performance. The right equipment helps but is no substitute for practice and training. Follow the guidelines on the IBA website, learn for other riders and train. Most of all, have fun
Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

+1

Increase your time in the saddle and know your limits.

Well, he starts right off with a false assumption, that motorcyclists average 45 MPH, and then builds a long winded argument based on that false assumption. Classic.

:angry: There's never an end to these people it seems. I too question the 45 mph average assumption. Someone averaging only that would have to be making some looooong gas stops. I left the west side of Sacramento, CA, yesterday and arrived in Salt Lake City 10 hours later, a trip of about 630 miles.

But I was in my semi. :dribble:

I didn't need fuel since my tanks hold enough for about 1700 miles, but I only ran about 67 mph and I had to slow down considerably (35-50 mph) for all the mountain passes, especially Donner. No question I could have done it faster on the Maroon Goon.

I don't have to the butt chops to do a 1,000 yet, but I sure as heck could average better than 45! And given some time to train up, a thousand miles would be doable.

So, Mr. Safety Fascist With All The Right Ideas...unless I prove I can't handle what I'm doing, leave me alone! :assassin:

Shouldn't GPS units pretty much put a stopper in his pie hole when it comes to moving averages, total averages, etc.? Tell him to argue with the satellites.

When I am taken a leisurely ride, sight seeing, stopping for coffee breaks and taking time to smell the roses. I usually average around 50mph. When I did my SS1000 I averaged 62mph. I had planed this trip so well and was so up for it I didn't feel, at any time, that I had lost focus and I felt I was always alert of what was going on around me. I do have to admit though that during the last 200miles I was looking forward to getting home.

I feel it is like so many other things. If you are against something, what ever it may be, you can always find some sort of justification for it to be "wrong".

I think we have a new candidate running for Office of the President- President of the Candy-Ass riders. If I do less than 2-300 miles when I pull out the bike to "go-out" for a while (trips to the store not withstanding) I don't feel like I went anyplace.
No, he ain't welcome in the CBA either. :angry: CBA folks are much more tolerant.

So it CAN'T be done safely? Those of us who have "survived" the effort are just damn lucky to be alive? Man, I had no idea. I'm turning in my IBA awards and picking up some training wheels. I mean, did you know that motorcycles tip over sometimes?

Craig

Shouldn't GPS units pretty much put a stopper in his pie hole when it comes to moving averages, total averages, etc.? Tell him to argue with the satellites.
Here ya go. Send him this:

DSC00016.jpg

More of the same old some one making themselves feel good about what is right or wrong with something they've never done themselves. I admire anyone who could test themselves and their machine to find the limitations of each. There's got to be alot gained personally from the IBA experience. While I have not done this myself, I have achieved some goals on the FJR that I thought never possible and I continue to test myself and my machine. Hey, isn't that what its all about? I think it is fasinating that someone can achieve big goals as 1000+ mile days in the saddle and live to tell about it. Endurance. Cool. :good: Ride free. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator: