Down Force

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, cdogman, isn't "6'1' - 285" already considered 2-up riding?
haha

C
Bite me

Fer a scrawny dude like you perhaps.... Hey, goin to Logan for the weekend.... Comfort in,,, riding around up there.. wanna come play??

FJRONA

You still back there on that stocker ??? Hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that weight has alot to do with it. I changed my tires before my cross country trip (7200 miles) in May. I have had good luck with Pirelli Diablo Stratas so I put on a new set 500 miles before I left. I had to change out the rear, with about 8,000 miles, when I got home because I had been riding a plug for about 2000 miles and it had developed a serious flat spot in the center. The front is still going strong, with NO cupping, with about 10,500 miles on it. My normal time frame is 8-9k for both the front and rear, with the front usually have a good bit of cupping. This is the first front tire that I've had that did not have cupping after 6k.

I see the difference for the wear around town as opposed to a trip being that I was loaded much heavier in the rear for the CC trip. Around town I normally have the top case only and no side bags. The CC rear loaded weight seems to be the difference in allowing the front to go much further than normal.

My average wear is over 19k on my 04 and 34k on my 06, so it would seem to indicate what I should expect to get with my riding style.

I NEVER got more than 5,000 miles on any of the 3 sets I had on my 03. I would be thrilled if I got 6,000 on my 07. I'm running slightly higher pressure now than in 03-04. 40 vs 36psi

Glenn

Have an 08 with 2400 mi. the bt021 front is cupping and seems to be developing aflat area in the center the rear looks as new ,pressure always 41 psi i think these are junk tires i weigh 300 lbs 6ft 2 never had a tire go this quick My rk harley gets 12000 out of rear 18000 out of front original hd stuff.

Have an 08 with 2400 mi. the bt021 front is cupping and seems to be developing aflat area in the center the rear looks as new ,pressure always 41 psi i think these are junk tires i weigh 300 lbs 6ft 2 never had a tire go this quick My rk harley gets 12000 out of rear 18000 out of front original hd stuff.

You got the same problem I had with the OEM. Replaced front and rear at 3500 miles before going on a 2000 mile trip because I was afraid they would not make it. Got streetsmart and they seem much better. Your size is just a little less then mine.

You probably already realize this but the biggest reason for the difference in wear is the rubber compound. If they design a tire for maximum mileage the grip will not be great. It is a trade-off based on physics, not one that can be easily changed. If you put car tires on your FJR you could probably get 40k miles out of them. If you made it that far without sliding off the road... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always had bikes that did the 2-1 tire wear thing myself..until I started getting bigger fatter bikes, then it seems to be even wear..I just go with the fact these bikes are made to handle decent and if u push them at all you are putting a pile of weight on the front tire every time you turn or stop..way more than a cruiser or lighter bike..Just the rubber doing its job I figure..

But..i did have a avon storm on the fjr and it outlasted the back tire by a fair bit.go figure..Of course I didnt put them on this time.. :)