Dragging feet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superbig

Reaction score
I've found that with my big feet and limited cornering clearance on the FJR, I have a tough time keeping them out of the way when cornering aggressively, especially on left-handers. I'm a size 15-Wide and I can't keep my left-foot under the gear shifter when cornering hard in anticipation of my next shift, or else it hits down hard on the pavement. It's a little awkward if you need to shift and you're still in the middle of a high speed sweeper. I also use the edge of my boot as an extension of the foot-peg (since it's wider than the peg is anyway) to judge how close I am to grinding hard-parts. I can drag the edge of my boot and feel good about where I'm at in relation to the pavement, but when my foot-peg feeler touches down, I know the pipe, center stand and other hard parts aren't too far behind and I get nervous.

I'm the first to admit less than optimum riding form and I have lots to learn. Maybe there's an aftermarket peg kit for the FJR that somebody's seen and can share with me?

Well, first of all you shouldn't be shifting in the middle of a turn. You should be anticipating your speed and choosing the right gear prior to entering the turn. Keep it in that gear and ride through the turn.

Second, you should be riding with the balls of your feet on the footpegs to make sure you feet do not touch down proir to any hard parts. Keep hanging your toes down and eventually you're gonna loose one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only one size smaller and I don't think there is a cure. What i do is make sure to be in the gear i want and set the speed before the corner and keep the ball of your foot on the peg. Learn to shift your weight to the inside and you will need less lean and therefore have maor clearance. I dont mean to slide around cause us full figured types don't slide well just get your face over toward the mirror and that should move a fair amount of weight inside. It really helps.

Read THIS

I don't know of any aftermarket peg kit that would help your complaints.

Your riding style could use some adjustment. Ball of the foot goes on the peg. Toe never under the shifter in corners. If you feel you need to shift in the corner, your entry speed was wrong. Yes, I know you're thinking I'm full of shit. Read the link. Smooth is fast. Faster than you are now. W/o grinding hard parts or boots. Even yours.

You may find an aftermarket shock is needed to get proper sag for your weight. You may also want to spend some time setting up the suspension if you haven't already done so. That alone can make a big difference.

Read THISYes, I know you're thinking I'm full of shit. Read the link. Smooth is fast. Faster than you are now. W/o grinding hard parts or boots. Even yours.

You may find an aftermarket shock is needed to get proper sag for your weight. You may also want to spend some time setting up the suspension if you haven't already done so. That alone can make a big difference.
No, I don't think you're full s***. I'm the first to ask questions (even dumb ones) to improve my skills and avoid painful mistakes and who better to ask than other FJR riders? I agree on the smooth = fast and strive for that, though I'll admit I've gone in to a corner in the wrong gear before and it would be nice to have the option of upshifting if necessary. I'm still wondering about a wider foot peg because when I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg, by boot hangs over the edge of the foot peg. Maybe I need to find somebody who can machine me one that will fit better. I'm checking the other threads fork spring/shock upgrades that have been done - I definitely need to do that.

If I'm in a turn with my foot under the gear shift, even my smaller size 10.5 feet will be utilizing the toe sliders. Ooops I'm riding all wrong!!! I'm so uncouth.

Maybe you can raise your pegs which would be far more uncomfortable, but not scrape as easily.

In other words, I think you're stuck with, big feet = getting them scraped a lot more. Yes riding on the balls of your feet is the preferred method, and that will help in excess scraping of the toe area.

Ride at your pace, what's comfortable, and what works for you. Or read all about how racers do it and try to have fun anyway.

Ride safe.

Sometimes you are full of shit Eric :rolleyes: :yahoo: :yahoo:
True, but talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

edit - @Bust - you know the answer to that already. Someone that rides a lot and doesn't have the coin to waste on tires that wear out every 10k or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

edit - @Bust - you know the answer to that already. Someone that rides a lot and doesn't have the coin to waste on tires that wear out every 10k or less.

DAMN............... You guys must ride like girls..........( is it Friday ).... I can't get more than

4k out of my tires........ :rolleyes:

.........Just say'n.........

B

DAMN............... You guys must ride like girls..........( is it Friday ).... I can't get more than4k out of my tires........ :rolleyes:

.........Just say'n.........
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You apparently haven't ridden with some of the girls on this forum. And dude, try riding more than 200 miles from the house once in a while. 4k! Poor dumb bastard. Go buy a sport bike poseur. ;)

Thank you, Thank you very much.

It does seem like Bust spends more time riding the keyboard than he does the FJR. Take that. :D

Ok you jackasses no more plaques for ya's :****: Instead of slaving away in here burnin' wood I'm going to ride me bike :blum: So there ya fookers!

Shit! how'm I gonna pay these bills?

:jester:

Read THIS
I don't know of any aftermarket peg kit that would help your complaints.

Your riding style could use some adjustment. Ball of the foot goes on the peg. Toe never under the shifter in corners. If you feel you need to shift in the corner, your entry speed was wrong. Yes, I know you're thinking I'm full of shit. Read the link. Smooth is fast. Faster than you are now. W/o grinding hard parts or boots. Even yours.

I also think Eric is full of shit :lol:

Superbig,

Don't worry, it takes a little while to get used to riding with your feet up high on the pegs. But once you do, it becomes second nature, and then it's hard to switch back. I now find myself having to consciously put my feet down so the peg is in the arch (just for a change in leg angle) on longer, highway rides.

What makes it all work for the FJR in the tight stuff is the relatively wide power-band and torquey engine that we are blessed with. Sure, you can shift in mid-turn on big sweepers, but then you probably aren't scraping your big shoes.

Also, don't feel pregnant (or alone). In group rides I see lots of riders feetsies hanging low and wonder how many riding boots they go through in a season... ;)

That is the primary reason race bikes have a reverse shift pattern. Don't know if that can be done to the FJR or not, but it would require a little retraining.

Bill

That is the primary reason race bikes have a reverse shift pattern. Don't know if that can be done to the FJR or not, but it would require a little retraining.
Bill
Hmmm...I always wondered why the pattern on race bikes was reversed. Maybe I should just get some floor-boards and a heel shifter! I rented a Harley while on business in Utah a couple years ago (there's always a place renting Harleys it seems) and had fun blasting thru Provo canyon dragging the floor boards and shooting sparks 'till I worried I might start a forest fire or something. It was surprisingly effective slamming the upshifts with my heel and man that screamin' eagle kit on it was LOUD. Made me miss my nice, quiet FJR.

hogwild.jpg

Superbig feet,

I ahve size 8.5 feet and if I have my feet too far forward they will drag in a corner just before my pegs hit. that is why people are suggesting putting your balls on the peg. :) BALLS on the PEG... did you like that one BJ?

I will say that when I am riding in town i religeously keep both feet in position to use the brake or shifter but never in the twisties.