drill & tap rt bar mirror mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The '03 comes with the right mirror pad already drilled and tapped. It's just that the hole is reverse threaded :glare: All other years need to be drilled and tapped. If you drill and tap the right mirror mount pad using conventional left twist threads you would need to use left mirror hardware. Right mirror hardware will typically be reversed pitched.

To keep the stock mirror dimensions, the hole should be drilled and tapped for a standard 10mm x 1.25 pitch bolt, and drilled not more than 22mm deep. Use a pilot drill size of ~8.8mm (11/32").

The table on my drill press will move around 90° and with some fiddling would let me drill the right mirror pad while mounted on the bike. I have a drill with a bullseye bubble level that would also let me drill a perpendicular hole.

I ended up using the two bolts on the front brake reservoir for my mount similar to this one.

8a87d_vehicle_gps_41YLKcUMSGL._SL160_.jpg

What ever method you use, including the possibility of a brake reservoir cap with a ball mount, keep an eye on the unnamed farkle clearing the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's soft aluminium...my '04 just has the untapped hole on the clutch clamp (left)

I wanted to mount a bracket for my J&M CB / AVCC cruise control control pad

left the hole as is

I just screwed in an appropriate bolt that seemed to self tap enough to work fine, but has never nor see any reason to remove

6620155317_fc721ee74e.jpg

3708483376_d76db4c70f.jpg

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

it's soft aluminium...my '04 just has the untapped hole on the clutch clamp (left)

left the hole as is

I just screwed in an appropriate bolt that seemed to self tap enough to work fine, but has never nor see any reason to remove

Every time I see pictures of Mike's bike it scares me. :huh:

Thanks Alan.

I have my poorboy Zumo (Nuvi with a sandwich bag) on the left. Thinking RD on the right.
I have my RD on the right side too. It's mounted with the RAM ball mount that came with my Zumo 550, since the Zumo sits on one of Dave's Ram Bones.

This is the ball/mount that comes with the Zumo: RAM-B-309-7U.

You can fit that with the u-bolt in between the throttle housing and the brake perch on a 1st gen:

100_3078.jpg

The strap will securely hold the RD on the magnetic RAM Power Plate mount, even when you hit a deer. :rolleyes:

I've been using this for a few years. Similar to the U-bolt setup shown above, but without the U-bolt.

It comes with longer bolts and spacers for the existing brake/clutch clamp.

RAM

I've been using this for a few years. Similar to the U-bolt setup shown above, but without the U-bolt.

It comes with longer bolts and spacers for the existing brake/clutch clamp.

RAM
Actually, the unit I showed above (and that also comes with a Zumo 550 GPS) includes those parts to allow one to mount the ball to one of the lever perches. I prefer to use the U-bolt so you don't have to mess with the lever bolts, but it can be used either way.

RAM also makes a mount that fits over your brake or clutch reservoir cover and has a ball. Here's the universal-fit one I just purchased for my Tenere (which should also fit the FJR). Don't mind the picture of it on a BMW, it's the correct one. LINK

left the hole as is

Every time I see pictures of Mike's bike it scares me. :huh:
Bike? What bike?