Driving lights keep loosening.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
I recently installed some driving lights I ordered from Martin Fabrication. They actually look very OEM - like (which is why I chose them) and as for visibility to other drivers, they are very noticeable.

The install against the front fender into the threaded holes in the forks. They come with three different size spacers and the appropriate fasteners. So I installed them as per directions and drove about 10 minutes before the lights rotated down and out of alignment (they pointed down). I realigned and tightened. Same thing happened. This repeated itself several times much to my frustration. The bolts are only a metric 6 thread so I dared not tighten them any more.

Over the next few days, I tried adding washers (thinking the bolt was bottoming out), including split ring lock washers and the crimped type. I used blue lock tite (as recommended) and then tried red. Each time, the lights would last a little longer before being jolted out of horizontal alignment but never would they survive a trip.

I wrote Martin Fab and they replied they have never experienced this before but recommended I used the mid-size spacer (I had chosen the widest) and not use red lock tite, just the blue. So, I removed everything, gave the parts a good cleaning and reinstalled exactly as per instructions and verbal advice. I think I got about 5 miles. :(

Obviously the jarring caused by the forks absorbing the road bumps is acting like an impact hammer. I am afraid of torquing the bolt any tighter than I have as I don't want to strip the threads on the forks. Any suggestions?

What about a nylock nut? Still, over the long haul, I donno how long this will be a viable solution.

If that doesn't work...Send them back. If you are afraid that the bolt they are attached to is too weak to properly handle your application, you need to change what you are trying to apply. Look for something with a better mounting system.

You might try using a star lockwasher between the light bracket and the spacer. That should help resist the torque force at that point.

I wouldn't place one between the spacer and the fork....steel lockwasher against aluminum: UN-good!

I imagine that's one of the issues with fork-mounted lights, but other owners use them as well as being very popular with BMW owners and seemingly without issue.

Please keep us updated as to possible solutions.....

....or when you send them back. ;)

Install rubber sheating behind the brackets instll Loctite on the bolt threads and tighten down very snugly, they should not move after that.

Man, that website sucks floppy donkey dick. Looks like something from the early nineties. :huh:

I got similar lights from here and had the same initial problems with the nuts loosening up (the fender bolt stayed tight). As a result, the lights would start swiveling around horizontally. I ended up slathering everything with blue Loctite and tightening down...haven't had any problems for quite awhile now.

I got similar lights from here and had the same initial problems with the nuts loosening up (the fender bolt stayed tight). As a result, the lights would start swiveling around horizontally. I ended up slathering everything with blue Loctite and tightening down...haven't had any problems for quite awhile now.
These lights have evolved into being more of a pain in the ass than anything. One railway track, parking lot ramp or decent road bump and the left side light is shining on the base of the front tire (both lights rotate forward and never backwards but with the left side light, the forward rotation translates to the bolt loosening so it moves far easier. For the other side, forward rotation is the same as tightening the bolt). Actually, now that I just wrote that perhaps some light has been shed. If the right side one is rotating forward despite having the same effect as tightening the bolt, this means the light is rotating on the bolt itself and not due to the bolt loosening. Strange thing is, whenever I stop to realign, the bolt is loose.

I will continue to experiment with different lock washers and lock tight. This has turned out to be very unfortunate not to mention unbelievably frustrating. These lights look like they were put on at the factory which was the deciding factor in choosing them but functionally they spend more time turned off than on because of where they are pointing. I am stunned that I have not stripped the threads or snapped the bolt as each time I think I am adding a little more force to it.

Clearly a design flaw here.

Last edited by a moderator: