driving lights wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spokane

Reaction score
Only want to do this once. Anybody know first hand what works best for lights and mounts fro a 2006?

Thanks

Check out Garauld's light brackets and Hella FF50, if your thinking of getting FZ1 mirors you will want the Gen1 brackets for your bike, I also have Piaa's 1100x on my forks

Lots of options.

Several have gone with a HID solution. A HID solution can get spendy, but if you're into lots of night riding, they're worth it.

For me, I went with a significantly less expensive solution on my Gen I.

I bought a set of Hella FF50's from ClickyHere. Their price has gone up since I bought mine, though. Do some checking around - a quick Google search showed some better prices than the one from my link.

To mount them, I went with Garauld's brackets - try looking Here or just go to the FJR Vendor Offers area here on the Forum and look for Garauld's thread titled "Hella FF50 Driving Lights & Bracket Kit, -nice way to get extra lighting." At the same time I mounted the lights, I also installed a set of FZ-1 mirrors. The holes didn't quiiiiite line up, but all I had to do was use the Dremel to enlarge the holes on the brackets just a wee bit and then they mounted up fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Garauld's light brackets and Hella FF50, if your thinking of getting FZ1 mirors you will want the Gen1 brackets for your bike, I also have Piaa's 1100x on my forks
I would like to know who has actually mounted the FZ1 mirrors on the Gen 2 with the Garauld brackets. I have brackets for a Gen 2 and studs on the FZ1 mirrors are to short to mount the bracket and mirror. So shorter bushings would have to be made (or shorten the stock ones) then it appears that the bracket would ride on the fairing.

By the way how do you get the studs out?

Hey, spoke what ya want em for? So you can get some street cred from the other klowns in here?....like bust? He has worked hard to get up to speed with the other nazi's in here...i.e. spelling and what not. He's worked hard to add his H.I.D.s and pax footpegs and water bottle attached to the pax footboard. He even has custom brake "resavour" covers that allow him to look at his purty self whilst he's going on his skoot nowhere in his michiginian garage...going...."VROOOOOOOOOM...............VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM...........VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM".

If ya want lights....turn yer high beems on.

What are you after in a driving light?

For all out lumens, an HID driving light is the way to go. Solteks, Hella FF500, or the PHIDS would be the way to go. Spendy suckers however.

If not HID, sounds like the FF50s everybody is raving over are pretty good for a lower cost solution. Though I have never tried the FF50s, I know I could not do without HID aux lights after I have had them.

check out previous thread Auxilary Light Thread

I took the Motorcycle Consumer News (Nov '08) article very seriously and went for the lights with the biggest bang for the buck (Best Buy) there.

Installed lazer star bullet lights on the forks using cyclegadgets fender bolt mounts and the lazer light wiring harness for HD (rocker switch instead of panel mount toggle switch). The water resistant rocker switch is velcroed to the inside of the front brake resevoir.

Installing a fuzeblock and lightly pushed into the cavity above and infront of the battery on the right behind the panel under the right side windshield pivot and into the nose.

I found the headlight relay "green with the blue stripe" wire to tap into for my Lazer Star Bullet Lights so when the switch is in the on position, they will only go on when the engine is running like the headlights. It's near the automatic windshield retraction plug which I disconnected and am tapping into the black with red stripe wire for switched 12v power.

Very economical (black powder coated lights $140, lazer light HD rocker harness $35, cycle gadgets fender bolt mount $80) compared to most.

Very good product and bright out to 100' on a pitch black night. On my digital voltmeter, was 14.1 volts on the interstate, now (55watt lights) 13.8 volts.

Very happy.

3135335154_fedd207cb3.jpg

3135335156_20539b94e3.jpg

3135335160_a17065a185.jpg

Lazer Star Spotlight Bullet Black 3 ½" L X 2 ¼" D

Axiom Item ID: 28-124-0124

Mfg Name: Lazer Star

Mfg Item ID: LSK1250

Drag Specialties Part#: 2001-0275

◊ Model: Bullet

◊ Color/Finish: Black

◊ Size: 3 ½" L X 2 ¼" D

List Price: $184.95

Our Price: $162.95

You Save: $22.00 (14%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazer Star Spotlight Bullet Point Style Chrome 3 ½" L X 2 ¼" D

Axiom Item ID: 28-124-0125

Mfg Name: Lazer Star

Mfg Item ID: LSK71850

Drag Specialties Part#: 2001-0276

◊ Model: Bullet

◊ Color/Finish: Chrome

◊ Size: 3 ½" L X 2 ¼" D

List Price: $184.95

Our Price: $162.95

You Save: $22.00 (14%)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good product and bright out to 100' on a pitch black night.
Using the conversion factor of 1 mph = 1.46 feet per second, 80 mph would be equivalent to: 117 feet per second
For doing the speed limit at night, the stock lighting is probably adequate, with anything auxiliary being added safety. Above that, more is better. YMMV

I'd estimate the Solteks to light up pretty safely to 1000 feet, with oncoming vehicles flashing their brights at over half a mile away....

IMG_1960.jpg

Others are right. What do you want to accomplish?

Motolights will upset you after your investment if you want far-reaching lights so you can see better at night. They are better for close-in fill and allowing others to see you better when in traffic.

HID "pencil beams" will upset you if you want others to see you but don't care if you can't see deer 3 days sooner than before.

Motolights will upset you after your investment if you want far-reaching lights so you can see better at night. They are better for close-in fill and allowing others to see you better when in traffic.

HID "pencil beams" will upset you if you want others to see you but don't care if you can't see deer 3 days sooner than before.

I just want the best light availabel. To see Bambi and be seen by cagers.

I just want the best light available. To see Bambi and be seen by cagers.

Can't really do both with one set. The best Bambi blasters will be very offensive to cagers, even in daytime.

I use HID headlights for the cagers and Solteks for the critters. So far, so good, mostly....

Something I've been considering too, using both. Got any pictures of the front/side of your bike to get an idea of how the mounting looks?