Driving Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never really inderstood the alure of all of these added lights except possibly to make yourself more visible, or if you need to spot rogue chipmunks from 100 yards away. A lot of the installations I've seen really mess up the lines of the bike - make it look like some sort of bug eyed monster.

I'd like to see some sort of system that is only really visible when fired up, but isn't quite as obstrusive when looking at the bike.

I've never really inderstood the alure of all of these added lights except possibly to make yourself more visible, or if you need to spot rogue chipmunks from 100 yards away. A lot of the installations I've seen really mess up the lines of the bike - make it look like some sort of bug eyed monster.
I'd like to see some sort of system that is only really visible when fired up, but isn't quite as obstrusive when looking at the bike.
Obviously you're a form over function kind of guy. With the miles I ride, the distances I cover, and the amound of night riding I do, I am most definitely a function over form kind of guy.

As for the OP, most peeps are spot on. Do you want to be seen? Or do you want to see the road like the Red Sea parting before you?

Before I destroyed them in a crash, I had the pricey $600 PHIDs and I LOVED them. They throw some serious light down the road. Once you have a light like this, you will never want to be without one again. Granted, they are so bright they are limited in the application, but WOW! They turn night into day.

My current dilemma is what to replace the PHIDS with. They are a GREAT light and I would get them again but I think there might be some better stuff on the market these days. I will say they are nice and compact. Unfortunately, there is no 'Holy Grail' when it comes to aux lights as far as I am concerned, especially the pricey HID driving lights. Solteks are awesome but heavy as hell. I think the best thing currently are the Hella FF200 Xenons, though they have some minor drawbacks too. Maybe futurevision's 4GHID replacements will rule the roost, but nobody has tried them yet.

I bet you wash your bike once in a while too.... :eek:

There are HID replacement lamps for the stock headlights. Some folks like them. Personally, I prefer the stock lamps for normal riding and the bug-eyes for critter detection on empty roads at night.

Not really form over function, but I don't want to create a large bubble of daylight around me when I ride at night.

I don't have any aux lights on the FJR (yet), but I run Lazer Star HIDs on my quad (another underpowered stator). I have the 25w external ballast Bullet style. The website is www.weekendconcepts.com, and I know the owner.

QUOTE (waltonr1 @ Aug 27 2010, 04:40 AM)

Go with these guys - I have two sets - one floods and one spots.

They are a fraction of the cost of PIAAs and work just as well.

Trail Tech

HID SCMR16 Floods

HID SCMR16 Spots

Trailtech.net

Technical Support: [email protected]

Phone: (360) 687 - 4530

1600 SE 18th Ave

Battle Ground, WA 98604

Did you install the lights with the 13W draw or the 30W draw?

I am running the 30Watts on both pair.

No problem with amp / voltage draw.

I mounted them using the "under the mirrow" mounts found on FJRGoodies site.

One on top and one on the bottom on the mount.

Not really form over function, but I don't want to create a large bubble of daylight around me when I ride at night.
Ok. I'll bite. Why the hell not?
I actually ejoy riding at night - more peaceful, quiet and dark. It's obviously necessary to be able to see far enough ahead to ride safely, but installing enough candlepower to blind oncoming traffic is ridiculous, unnecessary and expensive.

My 2 cents.

Just make sure to stop before you get to this:

strangbike021.jpg

I mounted them using the "under the mirrow" mounts found on FJRGoodies site.

One on top and one on the bottom on the mount.

It's not true/didn't happen unless you post photos. Just sayin.

So tell me how to insert a picture here and I'll prove it to you!

Here's a picture from the Clearwater Lights website showing two "Krista" lights mounted above and below a mirror mount like Walton's talking about. It was a package deal to copy this from the site, so I couldn't separate out the FJR, but that one's mine (note the CFR sticker). The lights weren't even wired in. We put them both on the bracket just to compare the two mounting positions, plus Glenn wanted to see how a double mounting would look.

MultMount_Krista.jpg

I've written a lot about my Clearwater LEDs over the last year or so, and I wasn't going to jump into this thread and repeat myself, but I just can't help it anymore. If you want to SEE and BE SEEN, there only a couple things you can do. You can wear bright colors. You can add lighting. Period. And you don't have to blind oncoming traffic, either. As I've said before, I ride with two pairs of Clearwater lights, one large (Kristas up top) and one small (Glendas--mounted on the front fender bolts) 100% of the time. In ALL traffic conditions. When I dim these lights down to the minimum at night, they offer an incredible amount of conspicuity. EVERYONE sees them. But they are NOT blinding, at all. (I do NOT get flashed by other drivers' high beams with these on.)

Forum members who have them, and anyone who's seen them will agree. When I flip on the high beams out of town, believe me, they light up the night. At WFO we lined up four bikes with very bright aux lights side by side in the parking lot. Some looked a little brighter, I concede. Iggy's Hella ff-200 HD's (if I have the model correct) were the brightest, I'd say, but all four sets were VERY bright, as we stood out in front looking back, or standing behind the bikes and illuminating the parking lot one at a time. But only the Clearwaters could be used in city riding and everywhere else, all the time. A flick of the high beam switch takes them right down to whatever level you have them pre-set at, and as I said, I set mine at minimum at night (higher in daylight). Plus only the LEDs have that very minimal drain on the electrical system.

Yep, they're expensive. Won't deny it. But I WOULD like to see that deer in the road, and I definitely want that guy in the Chevy to see ME.

Oh yeah!!!!

Lemmee tell yew sumpthin'...them alternative light sources fer FJR riders es lyke loud pipes fer them Harbinger Daveysuns. Yew jist gott hav'em...

peer--ee--ud! :yahoo:

'Sides, I lyke mines en thing they er jist rite...et leest fer me. Yew don't want'em er need'em, well gude fer yew. BUT summa thems FJR riders bee ridin' en the moun-tanes en summa them be ridin' crossin' them deserts. Eether ways, they bee wantin' tuh see a fer peace don the rode 'stead'a bein' soo-prized by them local critters.

I certainly don't use mine to blind oncoming cars and trucks. I do exercise a little wisdom when illuminating the distant space I intend to occupy.

I have run Hella Micro DE Xenons on this and my last ST machine (and my headlights are modulated as well, which was one reason I removed the HID conversions I have) - Unlike Bungie I feel that they are competent, but do NOT fry the fur off the forest rats nor do they evaporate the bugs before they hit the shield.

I found the ones that Bungie uses for him on Ebay at a spectacular price . . . the cost is up some now (to $510 shipped) , but I do love these for daytime conspicuity - almost every day I ride the combination seems to do some good protecting me. Here is the link to an auction by the vendor Bungie bought from.

They provide more conspicuity than the Clearwaters at a slightly lower cost and draw about the same power:

Not that it means much, but I note that this is my 2,000th post - I hope that my content has proved useful and my questions reasonable.

I have run Hella Micro DE Xenons on this and my last ST machine (and my headlights are modulated as well, which was one reason I removed the HID conversions I have) - Unlike Bungie I feel that they are competent, but do NOT fry the fur off the forest rats nor do they evaporate the bugs before they hit the shield.
All joking aside, I think I've come up with a few great tests for a set of lights effectiveness.

1: Run at night with your aux lighting going, if you can, for at least 10 minutes or so. Then, shut everything off leaving just your low beams. If it feels like your running totally blind, your lights are doing a good job.

2: If your aux lights are on and thumbing the high beams makes little or no difference, your lights are doing a good job.

3: If your running up a multi-lane highway and cars (or other bikes) come up behind you and DON'T pass you, your lights are doing a good job.

4: While running your aux lights, if white reflective signs hurt your eyes, or yellow signs turn nearly green, your lights are doing a good job.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

All joking aside, I think I've come up with a few great tests for a set of lights effectiveness.

1: Run at night with your aux lighting going, if you can, for at least 10 minutes or so. Then, shut everything off leaving just your low beams. If it feels like your running totally blind, your lights are doing a good job.

2: If your aux lights are on and thumbing the high beams makes little or no difference, your lights are doing a good job.

3: If your running up a multi-lane highway and cars (or other bikes) come up behind you and DON'T pass you, your lights are doing a good job.

4: While running your aux lights, if white reflective signs hurt your eyes, or yellow signs turn nearly green, your lights are doing a good job.
That's what I'm talking about! Those are the same lights I have and their great.

Lighting Test (The humorous side):

5: Native animals are illuminated and their eyes glow brightly.

6: Some native species actually run away.

7: Cletus, driving his 4X4 with all his driving lights on and refuses to dim them for that dumb motorcycle has learned some respect.

8: The neighborhood children, having watched you adjust your driving lights in front of your house, continually ask you to be the lighting system for their late-night football games.

B)

That's what I'm talking about! Those are the same lights I have and their great.

Lighting Test (The humorous side):

5: Native animals are illuminated and their eyes glow brightly.

6: Some native species actually run away.

7: Cletus, driving his 4X4 with all his driving lights on and refuses to dim them for that dumb motorcycle has learned some respect.

8: The neighborhood children, having watched you adjust your driving lights in front of your house, continually ask you to be the lighting system for their late-night football games.

B)
9. It's between 11pm and 5am running your CB on 19 and your AVCC on 82...truckers exclaim...WTF is that coming up alongside...oh shit....it's one of them motor sickles...

Go with these guys - I have two sets - one floods and one spots.They are a fraction of the cost of PIAAs and work just as well.

Trail Tech

HID SCMR16 Floods

HID SCMR16 Spots

Trailtech.net

Technical Support: [email protected]

Phone: (360) 687 - 4530

1600 SE 18th Ave

Battle Ground, WA 98604
+1 I have the Spot, you can also have 1 spot and 1 flood combo I got mine on e-bay.

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG