Driving Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys have your lights set up where they illuminate into a curve? I always have problems at night in tight turns where the stock headlight line dips down and only lights up the area opposite where I'm going.

I'm thinking some aux lights may help, but would I need to have them pointing up and out or do they do alright mounted straight on?

Do you guys have your lights set up where they illuminate into a curve? I always have problems at night in tight turns where the stock headlight line dips down and only lights up the area opposite where I'm going.
I'm thinking some aux lights may help, but would I need to have them pointing up and out or do they do alright mounted straight on?
You could just mount them on your helmet - I'm sure someone here has already done that.

You want serious pucker factor?

I used to have driving lights mounted close to the road and whenever I crested a rise at night I could see . . . . . NOTHING. Couldn't see the road because the lights would try to light up the horizon relative to the road, which fell away . . . . Left? Right? Straight? Who knew? Lots of heavy braking on that type of twisty with that lighting setup on night runs.

For a wider beam simply go for flood style reflectors - Hella offers you the choice in many of their light models. But there's no way to have the lights turn because very little ion the bike that you could mount anything (except the forks, which puts the lighting back close to the ground - wear diapers). Besides, the steering doesn't turn much, even in a tight corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told to cross the beams. I tried it and didn't notice a difference, but I don't ride aggressively after dark.

What you really want is to have your aux lights fitted onto a servo motor operated gimbal mount.

The primary sensor would be weighted (or tied to a gyro) so that the beam always stays parrallel (left to right) to the horizon, regardless of the bike's lean. Then have another servo motor that pivots the lamp axially, tied to a g-force sensor. When you go around corners the g's will rotate the lights towards the inside of the turn.

Piece of cake... :rolleyes:

Just put a nice bright light on your helmet. A few straps will hold a car battery onto your back. Wherever you look will be all lit up. Much simpler than Fred's way. Also good for reading in bed.

BTW, my Clearwater "Kristas" have a pretty good light spread to all sides too.

I never have trouble seeing on the approach to the curve, but as soon as I lean, everthing in that direction goes black. I think a light without a sharp cutoff line would do well for me. I probably need some type of flood light like bramfrank suggested.

If anyone is in the market for a pair of bitchin' caliper mount driving lights now would be the time to make nice to Glenn at Clearwater-not sure if the deal is still on the table but he just gave me the Glendas for $400 shipped conus.