Dropped FJR / Concours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orient_Express

Fire Base Ripcord Association
Reaction score
Just wondering which motorcycle you think is the winner in the "top heavy" brackett.

I know that "Connie" is a big girl and when she wants to lay down, there is absolutely no stopping her!! (She's got a big tank on her - huh??)

Do ya' think Ms Feejer is worse - or a little easier to keep from rolling over...???

Just wondering....

Last edited by a moderator:
If how easily they get back up is a primary purchase consideration, might I suggest a
460_43f35e4f9882a.jpg

:D

I happen to have both, but neither have had to be picked up off the ground so far. (knock on wood)

The FJR has better slow speed manors, and from that standpoint I'd say it's less likely to suffer from parking lot tipovers.

I'm guessing that it' would be about a tie for how much cussing would be involved in getting either one back on it's rubber.

Orient,

I was looking at the Concours before I bought the FJR...and to me the Concours felt more top heavy as well as the ST1300.

The FJR feels that it has a lower center of gravity and therefor, much lighter than what its weight dictates.

Orient,I was looking at the Concours before I bought the FJR...and to me the Concours felt more top heavy as well as the ST1300.

The FJR feels that it has a lower center of gravity and therefor, much lighter than what its weight dictates.

Yep - I agree - a rider friend of mine has one and belongs to the "Concours Cult" (owner's group)...

(I tease him about the Samsonite Luggage)

Heck of a bunch of good guys / gals...

I own a 2000 Connie, and am a member of the COG "cult" as well! The Connie is DEFINITELY more top heavy at low speeds. In fact, it is one of the all time most top

heavy bikes around!

I own a 2000 Connie, and am a member of the COG "cult" as well! The Connie is DEFINITELY more top heavy at low speeds. In fact, it is one of the all time most topheavy bikes around!
I sold my Connie once the FJR became "THE" bike. The Connie was more unwieldy at slow speeds.....IMO it wins the top-heavy award compared to the FJR.

However, the FJR is also top heavy compared to a sportsbike (Uhm...6 Ga. of gas in the tank) and once you allow it past a certain angle, it takes a lot to hold it up.

...once you allow it past a certain angle, it takes a lot to hold it up.
One time I held it up, and one time I let it down gently onto the asphalt, using all the mustard I could muster.

And this is "FJR Specific" because....?

I've owned 3 connies, had to pick up two of them, one of them twice. None of them under pleasant circumstances. I have not had to picK up my FJR, but to answer the question, the Concours is undeniably more top heavy. It is very apparent during slow speed manuvering, much less so at speed. The Concours handles remarkably good for a heavy bike.

For more info check out concours.org There's a section there called CDA (Connie Droppers Anonomous) Very amusing stories.

I hold CDA number 39A, B, and C. :glare: The Connie is definitely more top heavy.

As a former cult member, though, I've gotta say that I think it was (past tense since it's been replaced) one of the most underrated bike designs of all time. Easy to work on, easy to farkle, easy to ride forever. Bullet-proof engine. And it had a production run of over 20 years with almost no changes -- amazing. And there are certain things about it that I like better than the feejer -- the weather protection, the larger gas tank, the sixth gear, and, as previously mentioned, the ease of working on it.

That said, overall the feejer is a much, much better bike. Performance and handling aren't even in the same universe -- so different it's really hard to put these bikes in the same category. You don't have to work on it as much. It's much prettier. I bought the feejer 6 months ago and I'm still thrilled with the move.

I own a 2000 Connie, and am a member of the COG "cult" as well! The Connie is DEFINITELY more top heavy at low speeds. In fact, it is one of the all time most topheavy bikes around!
I sold my Connie once the FJR became "THE" bike. The Connie was more unwieldy at slow speeds.....IMO it wins the top-heavy award compared to the FJR.

However, the FJR is also top heavy compared to a sportsbike (Uhm...6 Ga. of gas in the tank) and once you allow it past a certain angle, it takes a lot to hold it up.
I'm a previous Connie owner too and agree with all the previous comments. After watching all the CDA threads on the COG site, one of the most common items was grabbing the front brake at low speeds. It was just about a guaranteed flop. IMO, the FJR has really good low speed handling, better than the Sprint ST I was riding which has a much lower CG and 150lbs lighter. Although I was not surprised at the number of Connie drivers dropping their bikes in parking lots, I am extremely surprised at the number of FJR's dropping. This is not meant be derogatory but it sounds a lot like an I/O problem, ignorant operator - lack of training, experience or just a plain old screw up.

I am A connie owner but today I bought An FJR. ( I have not seen it yet ) So this is good news to me.

I am 145 and 5'-6" And dropped my connie........ twice. Once with a 200 pound kid on with me. and once with my smaller than me wife on with me. Really hurts your pride. And I would have been on my cell phone for help. if I had been alone when I dropped.

Timalan

one of the most common items was grabbing the front brake at low speeds.
+

sounds a lot like an I/O problem, ignorant operator - lack of training, experience or just a plain old screw up.
=

Definite drop. Rider must no touchy front brake at low speed.