Dry rear splines answered

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred - you win. Excellent reaserch you must be Londonderry CSI. :lol:

I think it couldn't hurt to lube those puppies with the exception of grease flying out.

Besides we're guys, we like to lube stuff.

Fred - you win. Excellent reaserch you must be Londonderry CSI. :lol:
I think it couldn't hurt to lube those puppies with the exception of grease flying out.

Besides we're guys, we like to lube stuff.

Rear search notwithstanding...

I do like a greasy rear spline...

B J should be weighing in here soon about the need for a shave. ;)

Newbie here
Does any one have pictures or a link to the areas in question that need to be lubed :blink:

Whatever you do, do not ask Bust about pictures. Unless, of course, you have a secret wish to go blind. :worriedsmiley:

Newbie here
Does any one have pictures or a link to the areas in question that need to be lubed :blink:

Whatever you do, do not ask Bust about pictures. Unless, of course, you have a secret wish to go blind. :worriedsmiley:

I'll give ya reason to go bilnd if ya dont't unlock the door to the house. Then again ya jus might be necked.....

I'm aboot freezin my odots off out here. too bad Bearly ain't here, he knows all aboot surviving out in the wilds.

:jester:

Don't ya have seals in michigan? They know how to keep the ol' sphincter dry.

For those of us that got bikes with dry rear splines I have the answer and its not Yamaha.
Question to the forum collective. What does this mean as far as rear spline maintenance? Is this something that needs to be checked every oil change and not just every tire change? I would like to hear your opinions.

For those of us that got bikes with dry rear splines I have the answer and its not Yamaha.
Question to the forum collective. What does this mean as far as rear spline maintenance? Is this something that needs to be checked every oil change and not just every tire change? I would like to hear your opinions.

OK, I have read all the threads and looked at all the links. Here is my analysis and summary.

The dry spline everyone is talking about is the forward one where the drive shaft connects to the U-joint that connects to the transmission. It sounds like it would be a good idea to grease this with each tire change, but is not required by Yamaha and based on the number of people that have tens of thousands of miles on their FJRs with no failure it does not lead to premature failure, but prevents corrosion and therefore corrosion welding.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...art=#entry87983

The rear of the drive shaft that goes into the differential is lubed with differential oil, as found by SkooterG in 2006. Therefore, no additional maintenance required.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...art=#entry90149

The other spline is the rear wheel attachment to the differential as seen in Warchild's pages. It seems like cleaning and relubing this with the Honda 60 moly grease would be a good idea as it looks like it can get dirty. It is not too difficult to remove the rear wheel and this spline is right there in the open when the wheel is off.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=36