Dual Horn Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogopogo

Reaction score
Made these brackets for a dual horn upgrade. They attach to the frame at the same place as the upper radiator brackets. Left bracket is nearly flat, right bracket needed some bends to work around the battery tray. The new pieces are very simple, but the process of trial fitting and fairing removal and replacement (many times) was a bear. Trial fitting the right side required moving the battery tray assembly out of the way many times as well. That bracket is slotted because removing the radiator bolt on that side would be even more of a pain. I mounted the relay on the original horn location. The new horns sound great, although when I used them yesterday in an attempt to get a horse out of my way, I got about the same response as the original squeaker. The free range horses in my neighborhood are oblivious for some reason. I'm not sure if they'd pay attention to a locomotive horn.

horn_mount_brackets.jpg

horn_right.jpg

horn_left.jpg

Looks good but mine fit perfect in the factory holes. What made you make the brackets?
My stock horn was mounted on a thin bracket on the left side. Not sure what you mean by factory holes. The bolts holding on the radiator guard?

Photos here in previous thread. Radiator bracket screw still securely holding onto my second horn, over 47,000 miles after installation.

Horses are much bigger than a motorcycle, and they know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos here in previous thread. Radiator bracket screw still securely holding onto my second horn, over 47,000 miles after installation.
Horses are much bigger than a motorcycle, and they know it.
OK, I see what others are doing, and I can't argue with success. I did look at those bolts, but I'd be pretty worried about hanging my horns on them considering that I travel 14 kms of frequently rough dirt road every ride, and another 6 on one of my favorite routers. With that much pounding it's not hard to imagine a crack starting around those radiator bosses. The brackets I made don't go to an ideal location either, but I think they'll be good.

I don't know which is dumber in terms of getting out of the way - horses or cattle. They both take off if they see you on foot, but they don't seem to equate humans and vehicles until the two are separate. The deer are better except it can be hard to guess which direction they'll go. Even if the critters don't respond much better to my new horns, at least I don't feel like I'm ringing a bicycle bell any more.
smile.png

I hung My duel air horns from the stock bolt over 45,000 miles ago and have been over potholed roads small and big rock gravel roads and everything in between and no issues.