Ducati Hypermotard S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonroe

Reaction score
To All,

I have been itching for a new bike and honestly have been leaning towards a ZX-14, however, that Ducati Hypermotard S looks like a really fun bike. I have always had higher powered sport bikes ZX-11, ZX-12r, etc but was thinking that the Ducati might be a fun change.

I guess my big concerns are the vibs from the twin and a mere 90hp. With a weight around 400lbs it should still move along pretty nicely, however, it would be nothing like an 08 Busa or ZX-14.

Anyone have one or thoughts in general on Duc's?

Thanks!

Mark

I rode one a couple of months ago, lots of fun. It had a termi. factory exhaust on and sounded great. But, the seat was very hard with little padding and the gas tank only holds about 4 gals. Good for maybe a hundred miles. After that ride I crossed it off my list until those shortcomings are addressed. Tops on my list for that type of bike right now is a Triumph Speed Triple.

Bill

have a go on the KTM 950SM before committing to the duc. I was vaguely in the market for something similar a while back, had some fun on the KTM, hadn't tried out the duc, but I've seen more opinions that the KTM is a better bike than the other way around.....

(the duc is a looker tho.... :) )

Sat on the Hypermotard today at Chicago Cycle. That bike is just badass. Seat hight is a bit high for my 5'7" frame but I was amazed at how light it felt especially for an 1100 (1078cc I think) If I could have a 2nd bike to the FJR this would definately be it! Now if I can only test ride one. Never ridden a Ducati, not sure how a dry clutch is compared to one on the FJR. Totaly differnet bike, I know but I think it is one of the best looking bikes out there. Seems that it would be the ultimate urban hauler. Love the handlebar setup - very similar to a dirtbike.

However I went on the some of the hypermotard forums and it seems that they are plauged with ECU problems at idle when hot. Much worse of a problem than what the 06-07 FJR ECU altitude surging had.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=45666

Any thoughts or experiences with Ducati reliability compared to Yamaha?

<...>Any thoughts or experiences with Ducati reliability compared to Yamaha?
Joe

They're worlds apart. Dukes may be cool and look bad-ass but they have shorter service intervals and are plagued with all kinds of ailments.

Unless you have a Ducati service team following you around, fuhgged it!. I'll bet you Casey Stoner rides a Japanese bike when he goes on vacation :rolleyes:

I do not know a single Ducati owner who did not wish he had a serious bike. And I live in Ducatiland. Sure, I'd love to have one as a paperweight, but they leak oil, too.... :blink:

Stef

Any thoughts or experiences with Ducati reliability compared to Yamaha?
Anecdotal experience:

2 years ago: my brother's riding from OKC to Denver on his new Ducati Multistrada 620. He gets to Lamar (just across the Kansas border), stops for lunch, puts his bike on the side stand and watches it keep on going down. The sidestand bolts right to the bottom of the engine and the engine casing split. He and his bike went home in a U-Haul.

July 3rd this year: my brother and I had both just purchased new-to-us bikes - my FJR w/ 3500 miles, his Ducati ST4 w/ 11,000 miles (which the dealer had spent over a month re-conditioning) - and were riding back from Oklahoma City to Denver. Just short of the Kansas/CO border (within 30 miles of Lamar) his oil pump quit. He and his bike went home in a U-Haul. ...along with all the maps, sadly, so I went home the "long" way.

He's letting the Duc dealer give him his second replacement engine, but is now on record as saying that he's done with sexy yet tempermental Italian bikes and is going to look strongly at something boring and Japanese next time.

Sorry guys but I love my 2007 S4RS. Have ran the holy crap out of it with out any problems.

Did a test ride on the Hypermotard. You could be the wheelie king of your neighbor hood. Would be awesome on the curves & in town. Duck does make a bunch of touring stuff for it but don't really see it as that kind of a cycle. Here are some sites for your info:

https://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...?ArticleID=4778

https://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/auto...ws/4218976.html

https://onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=...&Itemid=126

https://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-motorcycles/hypermotard/

https://hypermotards.net/

I rode the HM and the KTM Super Duke, the Ducati didn't really move me. I didn't like the riding position, alot of heat to the seat, and my ass was killing me 10 mins. into the ride.

I liked the KTM so much I'm seriously trying to pay off my FJR early so I can get a Super Duke next year.

If your thinking about a naked bike you owe it to yourself to get a test ride on a KTM.

I rode the HM and the KTM Super Duke, the Ducati didn't really move me. I didn't like the riding position, alot of heat to the seat, and my ass was killing me 10 mins. into the ride.
I liked the KTM so much I'm seriously trying to pay off my FJR early so I can get a Super Duke next year.

If your thinking about a naked bike you owe it to yourself to get a test ride on a KTM.
I test road a KTM Adventure 990 a couple weeks ago, only because someone beat me to the SuperDuke first. :) I have to admit... I really enjoyed the ride! It was very happy on the highway with plenty of v-twin torque. Nice machine!

Now I'm waiting for the RC8. (squirt!)

Anecdotal experience:
2 years ago: my brother's riding from OKC to Denver on his new Ducati Multistrada 620. He gets to Lamar (just across the Kansas border), stops for lunch, puts his bike on the side stand and watches it keep on going down. The sidestand bolts right to the bottom of the engine and the engine casing split. He and his bike went home in a U-Haul.

July 3rd this year: my brother and I had both just purchased new-to-us bikes - my FJR w/ 3500 miles, his Ducati ST4 w/ 11,000 miles (which the dealer had spent over a month re-conditioning) - and were riding back from Oklahoma City to Denver. Just short of the Kansas/CO border (within 30 miles of Lamar) his oil pump quit. He and his bike went home in a U-Haul. ...along with all the maps, sadly, so I went home the "long" way.

He's letting the Duc dealer give him his second replacement engine, but is now on record as saying that he's done with sexy yet tempermental Italian bikes and is going to look strongly at something boring and Japanese next time.
:blink: Wow. Maybe I'll rethink my desire for a 1098. I just keep hearing how bad Duc reliability is.

Anecdotal experience:

:blink: Wow. Maybe I'll rethink my desire for a 1098. I just keep hearing how bad Duc reliability is.
my buddy had one for about 6mths and I had a r1100s boxer cup,we traded up alot and I wasn't real impressd.He had he tem. exhaust and chip,I thought it should be alot faster,topped out at about 120,awsome looking but not a bike to ride over 70mph for long or ride for 2hrs straight.

Like Niehart I have an 07 S4RS, I have had no problems with mine at all with 7k miles and hard riding. 6k miles between services isnt bad in my opinion, they changed the service intervals a year or so back. Sold my Ninja and CBR for it and dont regret it at all. Get a monster!!

I have five Ducatis,

None of them have given me as much problems as the Yamahas I've owned including the FJR.

I ride the piss out of them and I'd jump on one for a trip across the country without hesitation.

In my experience the guys that say they have reliability problems don't own one and are just regurgitating crap they've heard.

The best all around Duc is without a doubt an S4RS. It's fun, it's fast, it handles, and its comfortable.

It will wheely all day long right along side an HM but it handles like a street bike and not a dirt bike.

I thought about trading my Monster for a Hyper until I rode the Hyper, I'll stick with the Monster thank you.