Dunlop Road Smart and Dynabeads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting...
Who's the next victim person to try these?

:unsure:
Am I missing something here? I couldnt really find any opinions about the beads on the forum. I figured it would be nice not to have to mare the shit out of my rims from frequent tire changes and subsiquent rebalancing with weights. The beads are working great so I thought is was worth posting but it seams like people have a hard on about the topic. Have there been alot of bad reports that I'm not aware of.
I am a skeptic to new things... I will wait for a few others to try them out and review them.

Thanks for being the first one to review these! Please report back every 1000 miles. A full report would be very convincing!

Maybe Jeff will be willing to try these out for us since he's our Resident Tire Burner Upper! :)

I'll do that. I ordered enough for a couple of friends of mine as well. They were so cheap, I figured it was worth a chance. We are going to be putting them into an 2007 R1 with 2 week old tires and a 2007 R6 with 2500 miles on the tires tonight. I'll update with those as well. The guy with the R6 rides like a jackass, wheelies and burning rubber constantly. If they can keep his tire balanced for the life of the tire then I'll be even more impressed. His first set of tires lasted 3k miles
3k on a sportbike isn't too bad. One guy I know down here replaces his tires every 1500 miles or so, and these tires usually look pretty well trashed when he does it. Of course he rides like he stole it and usually gets in a track day every month.

Am I missing something here? I couldnt really find any opinions about the beads on the forum. I figured it would be nice not to have to mare the shit out of my rims from frequent tire changes and subsiquent rebalancing with weights. The beads are working great so I thought is was worth posting but it seams like people have a hard on about the topic. Have there been alot of bad reports that I'm not aware of.
First, we are smartasses by nature. Don't take it personal. Secondly, we are skeptics. Third, it is a hard concept to wrap my little mind around. You know, centrifugall forces and all them other physics things. I really would like a common language explanation of how this works. I'm all for not galling the hell out of the rims.

First, we are smartasses by nature. Don't take it personal. Secondly, we are skeptics. Third, it is a hard concept to wrap my little mind around. You know, centrifugall forces and all them other physics things. I really would like a common language explanation of how this works. I'm all for not galling the hell out of the rims.
OK guys and gals, hold on to your underwear...............

I found an explanation from a guy on a BMW auto website from a couple of years ago, and I think he got it from a manufactures site himself, so here it goes....

"The physics of how/why the free mass inside the tire automatically knows where to go is hard to conceptualize. The best way to understand why this works is to exaggerate the problem.

Imagine there is a 5 lb weight fixed to one place on the tire. When you spin that tire to normal highway speeds, it will be so terribly out of balance that the tire would probably hop off the ground with every rotation. The axis of rotation is actually moved away from the center of the wheel toward this extra mass because it’s pulling the whole tire with it as it spins. The free moving balancing weights inside the tire are not affected the same way by these forces. First as you get up to speed, centripetal force will make the balancing weight stick to the inside of the tire. Then the force of the unbalanced weight on the tire will move this balancing weight away from the imbalance. When enough of the mass is opposite of the imbalance, the vibration disappears and the axis that the tire is rotating on returns back to the center.

To give you another example to explain why the balancing weight moves away from the imbalance and balances the system, think about what happens when you accelerate fast in a car. Anything that’s loose moves to the back of the vehicle. This same force is created on an unbalanced spinning tire. The imbalance is jerking the tire sending the free mass inside away from it and the centripetal force holds it here."

This seems to make sense :dribble:

Hope this helps.....

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
My office is 2 blocks from the bike shop so I rode it there and installed the beads myself. WELL......
The coolest was I slowly brought the bike up to 135, first time ever that fast because it just didn’t feel safe before.
I know the FJR is fast but 135 in two blocks is quick :rolleyes:

Ill throw them in the set of PR2's I'm about to mount I was going to do it anyway. Now ill post about it since there's some interest

These additives have been around for a long time. They work some of the time but when you glide accross some rough surfaces it throws the beads or liquid in an upward motion and causes a short out of balance situation that could be a problem.

Just my 2 cents worth...

MJ

Don't fret it, dude(unless you want a clear uninhibited tone). It's hump day and we're wanting it to be friday.

Thanks Odot, I really wasnt Butt Hurt. I've been around the forum for a year now and I know what a bunch of :clown2: 's are here. Damm, I read this thing daily just to see who'e dissing who :evil: I was just concerned that I may have really F"ed up by putting the beads in there. I've developed a nice thick skin over the past year.

From Mr. Mom: 220, 221/centripetal, centrifugal: whatever it takes.
Hey I just copied and pasted it...................

...........and he's canadien..........whoda thunk?

Canadian hoser is the correct term. I'm a beer drinkin', hockey lovin', back bacon smokin', donut eatin', government hatin' hoser................just like the rest of us. Nice to meet ya' :rolleyes:

No one said we were perfect :dribble:

home-canadiens-merci.jpg

explain this....................

OK guys and gals, hold on to your underwear...............

I found an explanation from a guy on a BMW auto website from a couple of years ago, and I think he got it from a manufactures site himself, so here it goes....

"The physics of how/why the free mass inside the tire automatically knows where to go is hard to conceptualize. The best way to understand why this works is to exaggerate the problem.

Imagine there is a 5 lb weight fixed to one place on the tire. When you spin that tire to normal highway speeds, it will be so terribly out of balance that the tire would probably hop off the ground with every rotation. The axis of rotation is actually moved away from the center of the wheel toward this extra mass because it’s pulling the whole tire with it as it spins. The free moving balancing weights inside the tire are not affected the same way by these forces. First as you get up to speed, centripetal force will make the balancing weight stick to the inside of the tire. Then the force of the unbalanced weight on the tire will move this balancing weight away from the imbalance. When enough of the mass is opposite of the imbalance, the vibration disappears and the axis that the tire is rotating on returns back to the center.

To give you another example to explain why the balancing weight moves away from the imbalance and balances the system, think about what happens when you accelerate fast in a car. Anything that’s loose moves to the back of the vehicle. This same force is created on an unbalanced spinning tire. The imbalance is jerking the tire sending the free mass inside away from it and the centripetal force holds it here."

This seems to make sense :dribble:

Hope this helps.....

Matt

Well.....

Centripetal force is a real force that acts on an object to hold it on the arc that it is traveling. The old rock on a string/ swinging it around your head comes to mind. The string exerts the force needed to hold the rock on its path. The spokes on a wheel act like the string. Remove the spokes or release the string, and the object loses its centripetal force and tends to travel in a straight line until acted on by... you guessed it Centripetal (gravity) force causes it to fall back to the ground on an arc. Keeps Mother earth traveling around the sun.

Centrifugal force is a "make believe" force that we associate with forcing the rock away from the guy swinging it around.

Pictures for Appalachians like me: :p

Clicky

There's also a "Why it works" page at the bottom of this FAQ:

FAQ and Why it Works yada yada

I just picked up some and am going to try them on the next set.

Bob

Thanks Odot, I really wasnt Butt Hurt. I've been around the forum for a year now and I know what a bunch of :clown2: 's are here. Damm, I read this thing daily just to see who'e dissing who :evil: I was just concerned that I may have really F"ed up by putting the beads in there. I've developed a nice thick skin over the past year.
Rondo, I Love you and yer Beads! There, feel better?

BTW: Better add beads to you farkle/signature list.

JW