Dunlop Roadsmart 190/50 Rear Tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltdshooter

Reaction score
OK.. My 2006 A model needs some new skins and I'm pretty much sold on the Dunlop Roadsmart. Here is what I'm struggling with. I want to match as closely as possible the width of the rear tire that is on the bike (Bridgestone Battlax 020R 180/55s) which measure 7.57 wide when mounted on the bike. Looking at the factory specs for the 180/55 Roadsmarts, they list the with to be 7.09. This is quite a bit different than what is on the bike. Looking at the Roadsmart in 190/50 the advertised width is 7.52. Has anyone tried a 190 on the FJR??? Also what is the rim width on the rear of the FJR? The 190/50 recommends the 6" but allows the 5.5". The 180/55 rescommends the 5.5"but allows a 6". Any shared experience and advice would be appreciated!

IIRC, the OEM rim is 5.5". Why not run the OEM suggested tire size?

The difference in the measured width of the tire isn't the only parameter you should consider. Most tires have different compounds, tread patterns and tread depth, and PROFILES. One assumes the difference int he overall width may be in compensation or engineering limits for the other design features of that specific tire.

I'm fairly sure you could read one of JeffAshe's reports and glean any information you need.

Start here: Road Smart site:fjrforum.com

I'd bet the info you seek is in one of the past "comparo" threads.

As one particular bike guru and sage (BikeEffects) once told me, "Tires are a consumable commodity. Why not try them all?"

Last edited by a moderator: