The Dunlop Roadsmart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently running RS3s and like them pretty well. I have about 4500 miles on them and they seem to be wearing ok, although they're a little louder than they used to be. The last tires were a set of Metzelers that lasted about 5000 miles. Prior to that it was PR3s and PR2s, both sets got me about 12000 miles each. I do a lot of commuting mixed with errands and occasional trips into the mountains. The Michelins seemed seemed to cup pretty easily on the front but lasted a long time after the cupping started. The Metzelers were pretty uneventful bit definitely a competent tire. The RS3s handle really well for me.
All of us have tires that work well for the style of riding that we do. The Metzelers and RS3s were bought based purely on price as there were some super deals going on at the time. I think I paid $150 for the Metzelers and $220 for the RS3s. The Michelins are definitely more expensive but for me, last longer. But I don't think they handle as well on the last third of their life. I don't know what my next set will be. If there are deals on RS3s or Metzelers again, I may go with those. If not, probably Michelins to get the longer life.

FWIW, when I bought my bike it had some Shinkos (sp?). I don't recall exactly which ones. Those were crap.

I'm on the second set of PR4's and currently have 11,840 miles on the second set. i got 12,000 on the first set. My front has 2/32 of tread and the rear just under 1/32 remaining. It is apparent to me riding style, body weight, and selection of roads and speed have much to do with tire longevity. Not rocket science.

I recently returned from a 3200 miles ride through NV, UT, CO, NM, and AZ. With few exceptions the route(s) were US Hwy and State Hwy. There was a good deal of long upper elevation fairly straight empty highways where we routinely cruised at 80mph. I do not go into curves hot. I down shift prior to the lean and accelerate moderately through the turns. I do not trail brake unless caught going too fast . I routinely downshift and avoid braking when approaching stop signs and lights.

Final thought, when you get to my age you focus on living longer and riding more. Taking risk seems to diminish with age.
bike.gif

Great feedback Ross and Gregory. Upon closer examination of my log book, I only have one data point for the PR4s in which I ran them past the wear band indicator. That was for YFO 2017. For the PR2s, I have two data points, but in each case, at least 1,500 miles of the wear was in Arkansas miles, which in case you don't know, absolutely CHEWS tires. So perhaps I could stretch a set of PR2s to 5500/6500. If that is true, maybe I could expect 6000/6500 out of a set of RS3's - which is what I'm shooting for.
Another unknown is what the roads are like where I'm going between home and CFR, and ultimately my planned tire change between CFR and Spearfish. If a 1/3 or more of that is "Arkansas type road", then I've got to have the PR4 or I'm going to be in a tire bind.

It will be in the 3500 mile range between the planned tire change and home, and I know the bulk of that will be pretty straight and pretty flat.

Maybe leave home with the PR4s and try the RS3's to get home.

I'd love to hear other opinions. Iggy - what say you?
Unless I missed it, what is the total miles of the up coming ride? Are you riding one or two up?

I have a set of the RS III's and like them so far. Only have @ 1800 miles on them. My bike is a little heavier than an FJR, I am running them on a K1600. The RS's seem a little quieter than the PR's. Only some addt'l miles will tell how they will hold up in the long run.

Trip looks to be about 7500 miles for me. Riding 1-up but with full luggage and camping gear. I bought a set of PR4s and well see if I make it home on the rear.

That is if I go at all. My back is not better yet. (Sigh)

Well, I am ordering a set of RS3s. I have about 100 less miles than Joey does to meetup in Dodge City. We will be riding almost exactly the same type of miles to get there. The only difference after that will be riding in different halves of the lane the rest of the time. Joey typically rides a little harder than I do, but on this kind of trip, I would venture we will ride nearly identical.

I weigh more than Joey, but he packs more. He rides a 14A. Mine is a 15 ES. I bet those differences have no effect.

If this doesnt give us a real world side by side comparison, I dont know what would.

We will take some pictures of before and after. Maybe some tread depth figures as well. Finally we will cross check tire pressures daily.

All of this is in the name of Science. We shall not be enjoying any of our trip. Strictly business. The sacrifices we make for this FJR community has no bounds. I am smelling Nobel Peace Prize for this. JSNS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trip looks to be about 7500 miles for me. Riding 1-up but with full luggage and camping gear. I bought a set of PR4s and well see if I make it home on the rear.
That is if I go at all. My back is not better yet. (Sigh)
With a new set of PR4's and provided you ride moderately, you should be able to make 7500 miles with tread to spare. Hope your back is better and you can give us a report on the tire performance.

Ive liked most of the tires Ive run, the RSIIIs being the exception. I will say that PR4GTs let me thrash heavily loaded and never even think about the tires. Looking forward to reports.

Since using up the OEM tires I have only had PR4s on my FJR. I have run the GT and the non-GT version. I get better mileage out of the GT, but can't tell the difference in performance. I want to try a set of Metzelers but will wait till after my "long trip riding season" which is late summer and fall.

The only thing I know for sure about tires - If you are trying to decide whether or not to get tires before a long trip, get them. Most of us working stiffs have limited number of days to go on long motorcycle trips. I for one don't want to be worried about tires.

I've been running the Metzler M6 in the rear with the Michelin PR4 up front. Love the way bike feels in any scenario or condition. I wonder if the PR5 would be even better up front. And yes I do like this combo better than Michelins front and back. Even got better mileage out of the M6 than my past PR4 rear tire..

I'm getting ready for a 30 day, 11,000 mile cross country ride. I have a new set of PR4-GTs in the garage that I'll mount up a few days before I leave. My goal is to not have to change tires during my trip. We'll see... I have got 10,000 out of a PR2 before so hopefully the PR4 is slightly better.

Hopefully I see some of you fine folks out there this September! Keep an eye out for a red FJR and maroon Connie C14.

I'm getting ready for a 30 day, 11,000 mile cross country ride. I have a new set of PR4-GTs in the garage that I'll mount up a few days before I leave. My goal is to not have to change tires during my trip. We'll see... I have got 10,000 out of a PR2 before so hopefully the PR4 is slightly better.
Hopefully I see some of you fine folks out there this September! Keep an eye out for a red FJR and maroon Connie C14.
Good luck with that...not sure that the 4's have the longevity of the 2's. Safe travels

Most reports are that the PR4 rear is outlasting the previous models by 15 to 20% when run on a high mix of slab and pressures are kept high enough. Its quite possible to get it to last 11000 miles under the exact right conditions. Depends on how much sport and how much tour you will be doing

I'm still running the PR2s as they're still available in our sizes. Not sure what I'm going to do when the supply finally dries up.Lowest mileage yet mostly 2-up was still over 10k.

Does anybody know for sure what a set is defined as for the dunlop rebate? Can I get two fronts or two rears and classify as a set and get $75 rebate?

Most reports are that the PR4 rear is outlasting the previous models by 15 to 20% when run on a high mix of slab and pressures are kept high enough. Its quite possible to get it to last 11000 miles under the exact right conditions. Depends on how much sport and how much tour you will be doing
Recently changed out my PR4's and got 11897 miles on them. Front tire had plenty of tread left and rear tire was almost toast. I ride one up only and weight 145lbs. Most of the miles were trips with bags, mostly state and local roads. I'm not a fast rider but not a slug either. Kept the tire pressure at 39psi front and 42psi rear.

I asked the Dunlop rep a AIM Expo this year about tire pressures in the RSIII.. They recommend 42 front and rear....None of the other tire rep would give give recommendation on pressures....Just ordered a set of RSIII and will run them at those pressures and report back...

...I dont think I ever did get my $75...
I did, but I had to contact them three times! The dealer had a "buy rear tire at full price and get the front for free" promotion and Dunlop initially claimed that the rebate only applied if I bought two tires! The dealer invoice said zero dollars for the front so I didn't "buy" it.