Dunlop Roadsmart Street/ST Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished mounting a set of RoadSmarts about 10 minutes ago. Time for a cold one.

I'll let ya'll know how they do.

motoxoutlet.com has them for $227 for the set. Shipping is another $25, but I have been able to talk them down once or twice. Their prices are consistently lower than SW Moto. Usually enough to make up for the free shipping.

[SIZE=12pt]Ding Ding Ding...[/SIZE]

We have a winner!

Before I left for EastKY last Thursday, I ordered two more sets of Dunlop Roadsmarts from SWMotoTires. Now have about 1,800 miles on the RoadSmarts, and I'm not the least bit sorry I already have two spare sets. Looks to me like Dunlop is working hard to keep Michelin honest and in-line with pricing. Only way for Michelin to win out is if the PR2s get substantially higher mileage with NO compromise in performance.

I'll be making some tread depth measurements, comparison photos and post it all to a review thread in the next couple days.

[SIZE=12pt]Ding Ding Ding...[/SIZE]We have a winner!

Before I left for EastKY last Thursday, I ordered two more sets of Dunlop Roadsmarts from SWMotoTires. Now have about 1,800 miles on the RoadSmarts, and I'm not the least bit sorry I already have two spare sets. Looks to me like Dunlop is working hard to keep Michelin honest and in-line with pricing. Only way for Michelin to win out is if the PR2s get substantially higher mileage with NO compromise in performance.

I'll be making some tread depth measurements, comparison photos and post it all to a review thread in the next couple days.
So, what yer sayin' is, 'I like 'em!'?

Most definitely!

Even gave them a rather "unplanned" diesel fuel-spill traction test this weekend.

:(
I tried mine out this weekend too, and I love the way they handle. I could take it all the way down to the pegs with minimal countersteer. In fact, it felt like I could do it with no hands...not that I actually would.

Thank goodness I didn't hit any greasy spills, but they do recover quickly after a small pebble/gravel slip. I'm too lazy to track the tread depth as they wear, but I will let ya'll know how many miles I get out of them. I'm pretty sure I will get more miles than Mr. Ashe because, from what I hear, I am MUCH slower than he is and I live farther from the mountains than he does.

I just hope I get more miles out of the Dunlop's than I did the B021's. I got about 4500 miles out of the Stones, but I really should have changed tires at about 4000. They were slicks when I took them off. Yeah, I know, please don't lecture.

Most definitely!

Even gave them a rather "unplanned" diesel fuel-spill traction test this weekend.

:(
Ugh. Diesel and Rubber don't mix. I'm glad no one was seriously ingured that time.

Looking forward to the full review. After chasing Ashe for a few hours, I'm quite certain they handle well @ mountain-hopping speeds.

Here's the tread depth numbers:

New RoadSmarts in my garage floor range from 6.5 to 6.8 mm center area tread depth.

1,800 miles on the test tire to date.

Approximately 1,000 of that could be considered slab.

Almost all miles have been fully loaded, two-up, and I mean ALL the winter gear on the riders with three bags packed to the brim.

Center tread depth ranges from 3.5 to 3.8 mm (Approx. 3.0 mm used)

According to my calculations, that translates to 3,500 miles before contacting the wear bars and a possible 4,000 mile or better total tread life. That would definitely put the Dunlop RoadSmart at the top of my mileage list, running close to a ME880 for tread life.

Probably the most positive thing I can say about the RoadSmart's life, is that it still handles very much like a new tire, mainly because it has retained most of its original shape/contour, despite extensive two-up, fully-loaded mileage.

I'll try to shoot some photos for contour comparison during daylight tomorrow.

Mounted mine on Saturday and after 400 miles agree with the positive comments by others ! Production quality is very good as well; didn't need to add weight to the front and only 1/4 ounce to the rear.

channelscruise408289.jpg

Probably the most positive thing I can say about the RoadSmart's life, is that it still handles very much like a new tire, mainly because it has retained most of its original shape/contour, despite extensive two-up, fully-loaded mileage.
Jeff:

Are you referring to both front and rear here of just the rear? Was interested if the front was wearing evenly too (no cupping, ridges, etc). Am about to spring for a set.

Dave

Are you referring to both front and rear here of just the rear? Was interested if the front was wearing evenly too (no cupping, ridges, etc). Am about to spring for a set.
Yes, sorry, should have been more clear! Both front and rear are holding their shape nicely. No cupping, ridges etc.

Here's photos of the Dunlop RoadSmart Front & Rear at roughly 1,800 miles.

As you can see, the shape is very good for tires that have seen 1,000 miles of two-up fully loaded slab time.

FRONT

RoadSmartFront.jpg

REAR

RoadSmartRear.jpg

Do you have blue carpet in your garage or do you bring the feejr into the living room? :unsure:

Either way, I'm jealous! :rolleyes:

I was handed a flyer by the parts dept at Westfield Yamaha on the north side of Indianapolis, Indiana (317-867-4422)...they are offering 50% of these Dunlops for the entire 08 season.