Dunlop RoadSmart tires available at SWMotoTires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I've been encouraged to stop aspiring to new heights of NEPRT. So here's my meager attempt at empirical tire data.

:)

Just tonight I shot an email off to SWMotoTires, asking about availability etc. on the new Dunlop RoadSmart line. Wow! Blaine fired back in a few minutes with word that he had added them to the web site and had a line on a few. Mine are ordered and yes, there will be forthcoming a Haulin Ashe Tire Testing Program entry for the Dunflops.

Just FYI, Grumpy was testing the Mich PR2s, but he is layed up for months. Somebody PM him and see if you can convince him to let me come "visit" and charge his FJR battery for him.

Here's the SW data:

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

310801 Dunlop RoadSmart 120/70ZR17 1 $110.95

$110.95

310813 Dunlop RoadSmart 180/55ZR17 1 $137.95

$137.95

Shipping: SWMT Shipping:

$0.00

Sales Tax:

$0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------

Total:

$248.90

Great price!! Keep us updated on your "testing"; break-in, 1000 mi, 5000 mi (and whatever comes after that - assuming they make it that long...). Pictures would be nice. :)

My Dunlop Roadsmarts just arrived along with my axle tool and 90 degree valve stems from Bike Effects.

KUDOS to Bike Effects and SWMoto. I placed my orders with both companies late Thursday night/early Friday morning and both shipments arrived at 1:30 today (Monday).

Now I just need the Harbor Freight tire changer w/adapter and the Mojo bar and I'm ready to change my first set of tires. :yahoo:

DSCN0335.jpg

I've been encouraged to stop aspiring to new heights of NEPRT. So here's my meager attempt at empirical tire data.

Just FYI, Grumpy was testing the Mich PR2s, but he is layed up for months. Somebody PM him and see if you can convince him to let me come "visit" and charge his FJR battery for him.

No email necessary......Jeff, you're welcome anytime.

jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww, ain't you a sweetie Mr. Grumpy. So, how are ya' feeling, anyhow?

So, Jeff... What's the word? How are these fairing in the "Ashe's Super-Sonic, Hyper-Active Tire Testing (ASSHATT) Program?? :p

BTW: Another positive review of this tire on Motorcycle.com: Dunlop Roadsmart Review

So, Jeff... What's the word? How are these fairing in the "Ashe's Super-Sonic, Hyper-Active Tire Testing (ASSHATT) Program?? :p
BTW: Another positive review of this tire on Motorcycle.com: Dunlop Roadsmart Review
Too much time spent at the dealership. It's going to be another two weeks before I totally waste these Stinko Ravens and have a set of free rims for the Dunflops.

I've got about 100 miles on my set of RoadSmarts..... might have an awful lot more by the weekend, if a trip to the Wet Side of the state comes off as planned. Dunno yet.

Can't really comment with authority with only a mere 100 miles on the tires, but generally-speaking, I do like them so far. Sidewalls are extremely stiff, almost Bridgestone-like in stiffness, whereas the D220's (which are what the RoadSmarts are replacing in the Dunlop line) had surprisingly pliable sidewalls. Mounting the RoadSmarts took considerable more effort than the D220s.

The RoadSmart front tread design is considerably different than the D220, and one consequence is that the RoadSmart front tire seem to have noticeably more "rolling noise" compared to the D220. But I suspect the new tread design will resist the heavy tendency toward cupping/scalloping that the front D220s were notorious for.

Unlike the front tires, the rear tread pattern of the RoadSmart isn't terrible different from the rear tread pattern of the D220.

The profile of the RoadSmart appear to be a fair bit more "rounder" than the D220s; the latter had a profile that was a pinch more "triangular" and thus seem to steer a little quicker than the RoadSmarts.

Haven't had them in the rain yet to be able to comment on wet grip. Dry grip is exceptional so far, but so was the D220 (for me, anyway).

The only serious complaint I had with the old D220s was the crazy-short rear treadlife. If these RoadSmarts have addressed that issue, we could have a possible winner on our hands, because the street prices of the RoadSmarts are pretty damn good. SWMoto's prices:

Dunlop RoadSmart 120/70ZR17 - $110.95

Dunlop RoadSmart 180/55ZR17 - $137.95

I ordered a set and am here to tell you this tire has some short comings for CT riders:

At temps below zero they have a "need to warm up feel to them"

Traction on ice is somewhat diminished

Very poor acceleration in snow over a foot deep

Hard cornering on roads covered with winter sand is not confidence inspiring

:D

No, actually they are still straped together with the pizza cardboard and are yet to be installed.

Germany,

Is that the tool used for inserting into the axel? I think I remember some other folks using some type of less expensive way?? Anyone care to chime in??

WW

I ordered a set and am here to tell you this tire has some short comings for CT riders:
At temps below zero they have a "need to warm up feel to them"

Traction on ice is somewhat diminished

Very poor acceleration in snow over a foot deep

Hard cornering on roads covered with winter sand is not confidence inspiring
Huh. I have the same issues with the PR II's. ;)

Speaking of which, quick comparison question: I know on the RoadSmarts, only the rear is dual compound. I suspect that's true of the PR II, too, but I don't really know. Does anyone else?

I've got about 100 miles on my set of RoadSmarts..... might have an awful lot more by the weekend, if a trip to the Wet Side of the state comes off as planned. Dunno yet.
Can't really comment with authority with only a mere 100 miles on the tires, but generally-speaking, I do like them so far. Sidewalls are extremely stiff, almost Bridgestone-like in stiffness, whereas the D220's (which are what the RoadSmarts are replacing in the Dunlop line) had surprisingly pliable sidewalls. Mounting the RoadSmarts took considerable more effort than the D220s.

The RoadSmart front tread design is considerably different than the D220, and one consequence is that the RoadSmart front tire seem to have noticeably more "rolling noise" compared to the D220. But I suspect the new tread design will resist the heavy tendency toward cupping/scalloping that the front D220s were notorious for.

Unlike the front tires, the rear tread pattern of the RoadSmart isn't terrible different from the rear tread pattern of the D220.

The profile of the RoadSmart appear to be a fair bit more "rounder" than the D220s; the latter had a profile that was a pinch more "triangular" and thus seem to steer a little quicker than the RoadSmarts.

Haven't had them in the rain yet to be able to comment on wet grip. Dry grip is exceptional so far, but so was the D220 (for me, anyway).

The only serious complaint I had with the old D220s was the crazy-short rear treadlife. If these RoadSmarts have addressed that issue, we could have a possible winner on our hands, because the street prices of the RoadSmarts are pretty damn good. SWMoto's prices:

Dunlop RoadSmart 120/70ZR17 - $110.95

Dunlop RoadSmart 180/55ZR17 - $137.95
Thanks for the early report. What do you have these mounted on, the 'Busa or the FJR..?

Speaking of which, quick comparison question: I know on the RoadSmarts, only the rear is dual compound. I suspect that's true of the PR II, too, but I don't really know. Does anyone else?
The PR2 is a dual compound front & rear.