• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dunlop Roadsmart Tires Group Buy thru Aug 30th, 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Well it that time again and I have not done a group buy for at least 6 months now so here it goes. If you live in southern California and would like to ride in with your old tires and ride out with a new set that includes removing them from your bike, mounting, balancing and disposal of your old tires then your cost is $320 out the door. If you take in just the tire and the rim they will mount and balance them for $275 out the door. If you would like the tires shipped to you in the US then your cost is $255 delivered. There direct contact info is below. Ask for Dan or Jr and tell them Trent sent you and ask for the [SIZE=14pt]"FJR Tire Deal"[/SIZE]. There is nothing in this for me and the sizes are 120/70-17 / 180/55-17. Below are the new deals they are offering and when you email or call just tell them the package you are interested in. I asked him for some flexibility in the orders and this was what we came up with and I hope it works well for you guys. Give me some feedback...

Here is the email I just got from Jr. We have a green light on this deal and you do not need to wait. Email Jr and send him your payment info and your order will ship. You can email jr at [email protected]

That sounds good. For them to commit, I would like to have them just email me all their information Monday-Sunday. As I receive information and payment I will be shipping all orders out same or next day on an individual basis, so that everyone will see their tires as quickly as they are to commit to the buy. This will ensure them receipt of their tires most likely within 2-3 days of payment. Basically what it does for you guys is ensure you don't have to wait for everyone on the buy, because we will be offering this price the whole week no matter how many people get in on the buy. August 24th through August30th I will take all emails with orders and be shipping within the same week.

Here's some packages for you-

Package A- (1) 120/70-17 Roadsmart

(1) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$255.00 Shipped

Package B- (1) 120/70-17 AV55 ST AVON

(1) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$260.00 Shipped

Package C- (1) 120/70-17 AV55 ST Avon

(2) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$400.00 Shipped

Package D- (1) 120/70-17 Roadsmart

(2) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$395.00 Shipped

Package E- (2) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$285.00 Shipped

bmw-approved-roadsmart-tires-for-us-police-bikes-7646_1.jpg

Cycle City

15791 Rockfield Blvd

Irvine, CA 92618

(949) 770-6544 Office

(949) 4636480 Cell

Email: [email protected]

Directions

Motorcycle.com Review

Motorcycle Review USA Review

Autoevolution Review

Last edited by a moderator:
I commend your efforts to get good pricing for fellow Feejer riders. And normally I wouldn't intrude on a group buy thing. But you want to be sure that folks are going to be happy with their purchase. I highly suggest that folks keen on buying these perform their due diligence and investigate all of the reports of the Roadsmart tire performance to date.

My take on those is: while the rear tire seems to be a pretty darn good tire for the beefy FJR, pretty sticky on the sides, long wearing in the middle :thumbsup: , the fronts have received unilaterally unfavorable reviews with all sorts of evil wear and handling being reported. Personally, I prefer to run the roadsmart rear with a different brand front tire (Pirelli Strada). Besides, although I know that some folks do, not everyone changes their front and rear tires at the same time. Most go through more than one rear to a front. Makes sense to have the flexibility to order them as non-sets.

Would it be possible to get a group buy price for just the back Roadsmart tires? Even if we had to buy a pair (of the rears) at a time?

I commend your efforts to get good pricing for fellow Feejer riders. And normally I wouldn't intrude on a group buy thing. But you want to be sure that folks are going to be happy with their purchase. I highly suggest that folks keen on buying these perform their due diligence and investigate all of the reports of the Roadsmart tire performance to date.
My take on those is: while the rear tire seems to be a pretty darn good tire for the beefy FJR, pretty sticky on the sides, long wearing in the middle :thumbsup: , the fronts have received unilaterally unfavorable reviews with all sorts of evil wear and handling being reported. Personally, I prefer to run the roadsmart rear with a different brand front tire (Pirelli Strada). Besides, although I know that some folks do, not everyone changes their front and rear tires at the same time. Most go through more than one rear to a front. Makes sense to have the flexibility to order them as non-sets.

Would it be possible to get a group buy price for just the back Roadsmart tires? Even if we had to buy a pair (of the rears) at a time?
Thank you Fred for your feedback and I think you brought up some good points. I will ask my contact and get back to you but I do not think it is going to be a problem. I love my Strada front tire but am looking forward to try a different rear since my last 2 rear tires have been the Strada E. If they had better wear marks I might be getting another but they don't so I am going to try a different tire. I think your request for flexability seems very fair.

Thanks Trent. These guys sell Pirelli's and Avon's. Maybe we could do Roadsmart rears and Strada or Storm fronts? I'd go for either.
I am on it guys and I am going to see if we can get this paired with a Strada or Strom. Do you guys have a preference? I love my Strada front but I have also heard good things about the Strom too. Give me some feedback on what you guys want and I will get it set up. Thanks.

Just curious for us PR2 elitists :rolleyes: , what kind of pricing can your buddies do on a set of PR2 (F & R), shipped to the lower 48?

TIA

Just curious for us PR2 elitists :rolleyes: , what kind of pricing can your buddies do on a set of PR2 (F & R), shipped to the lower 48?TIA
That was the first question I asked him but they do not seem to be shipping any? He seems to think they are getting ready to launch a new and improved PRII but they are not telling him when this product is going to start shipping again. :angry:

I just spoke to Jr and he told me he is going to give you guys some options.

Package 1 front and rear

Package 2 two rears

Package 3 two rears, one front

He said it is easier to deal with Avon (Storm) than Pirelli (Diablo) but he will try and work us a deal with one of these two tires. Can you guys live with the Avon AV55 Storm St Sport Touring on the front with the Roadsmart rear?

I ran a set of Storms prior to two sets of PRII's, including a previous group buy with Jr. (A great guy and buying experience by the way). The Storms were the best sticking tire I have personally ever ridden on, especially in the wet. FWI, Dale (Warchild) swears by these. However, the Storms' mileage longevity has been in question by many.

After all that, I need a set of tires, and should be able to pull the trigger within the timeframe of this group buy. I think I will go with the Roadsmart Rear with a Storm front if the bargain is close to the Roadsmart pair.

THANK YOU for setting this group buy up!

If he can get the Strada fronts I would probably buy a few as they are discontinued. The Angel is supposed to replace them.

As I mentioned, I've had really good luck with them. But haven't tried the Avons, so can't compare.

If he can get the Strada fronts I would probably buy a few as they are discontinued. The Angel is supposed to replace them. As I mentioned, I've had really good luck with them. But haven't tried the Avons, so can't compare.
Because of an agrement with Pirelli he cannot ship the Pirelli front tire together with the Dunlop rear. He said he could offer a deal for a Pirelli front after this group buy is over. This group buy is going to be for the Dunlop Roadsmart rear and the Avon Storm front. I can list a price for the Pirelli front but again it would be after the group buy if you are interested. My last 2 sets have had the Diablo Strada front and I cannot recommend them enough but I am going to try the Storm to see how they compare. I tend to ride on the very agressive side. By the way Fred check out this graphic of the Strada vs the Angel. This Angel looks pretty impressive...

benefits.jpg

If he can get the Strada fronts I would probably buy a few as they are discontinued. The Angel is supposed to replace them. As I mentioned, I've had really good luck with them. But haven't tried the Avons, so can't compare.
Because of an agrement with Pirelli he cannot ship the Pirelli front tire together with the Dunlop rear. He said he could offer a deal for a Pirelli front after this group buy is over. This group buy is going to be for the Dunlop Roadsmart rear and the Avon Storm front. I can list a price for the Pirelli front but again it would be after the group buy if you are interested. My last 2 sets have had the Diablo Strada front and I cannot recommend them enough but I am going to try the Storm to see how they compare. I tend to ride on the very agressive side. By the way Fred check out this graphic of the Strada vs the Angel. This Angel looks pretty impressive...

benefits.jpg
Oh I agree. I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. And Stef has given them a good review over in Yerop. But who knows at what price here? :unsure:

I wouldn't mind trying the Avon up front with the Roadsmart. For those that have ridden the Avons, is it the rear only that wears out too fast? Or does the front get erased quickly too?

Fred,

At the risk of a hijack (not intended) here is one example of a NERPT thread on Avon Storm mileages:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...p;hl=avon+storm

My personal experience was I only got about 4000 miles from both front and rear before the set was thoroughly trashed. I'm willing to try the front again. I think you need to run Storms a little higher in tire pressure for mileage, but I'm guessing and have no empirical evidence. I also don't know if that will effect the outstanding handling I experienced. Before this group buy popped up I was considering another try at a set of Storms since the PR II fronts seem to be in very short supply. Winter is looming in the Pac NW and I love the wet grip of the Storms.

I still have the trashed front Storm sitting in the garage. It makes me wince when I look at it.

Anywhere near $255 for a set of modern ST tires delivered is an outstanding price, IMHO. If you are running the kinds of miles to go through 2-3 sets of tires a year (or more), why not? Mileages vary so wildly between riders, the only way to know how a combination works is to try them on your bike, with your roads and weather and riding style, and see what happens.

Just yesterday I mounted a new Storm front and RoadSmart rear in preparation for my cross country trip starting 8/31. I'm figuring that will give me enough to easily cover the round trip mileage. I know from previous experience that the front RoadSmart would not. I cannot recommend the front RoadSmart for the FJR unless you like changing tires 30% sooner that other FJR favorite brands. The last 1/3 of the RoadSmart front gets you into that typical Dunlop trapezoid or squared off corner shape to boot.

Too bad since the rear works so well in my experience: Great wet traction, sticky sidewalls and high mileage center section. YMMV.

Just got an e-mail from Dennis Kirk about a tire sale. Doesn't say anything about not shipping a Pirelli with a Dunlop. Clicky The usual disclaimer:I have no affiliation with Dennis Kirk. Just passing along an e-mail sale.

Mike

Here are the new updated deals.

Package A- (1) 120/70-17 Roadsmart

(1) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$255.00 Shipped

Package B- (1) 120/70-17 AV55 ST AVON

(1) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$260.00 Shipped

Package C- (1) 120/70-17 AV55 ST Avon

(2) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$400.00 Shipped

Package D- (1) 120/70-17 Roadsmart

(2) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$395.00 Shipped

Package E- (2) 180/55-17 Roadsmart

$285.00 Shipped

Good News: We opened up the deals so there are more combinations to pick from moving forward.

Bad News: This could be good news for some of you. You will need to place your orders before the end of the month or you are SOL.

I am going to order Package B with a drive in tire change with mount and balance. I will have them install it at their shop on Monday or Tuesday.

"Give me some feedback..."
Excellent Trent! I e-mailed my commitment for Package B. The short turnover time is good for me.
Excellent JuiceMcGoose! If you emailed Jr your shipping and payment info you should have your tires no later than Wednesday of next week. Start placing orders everyone. Email Jr at [email protected] or call him at this shop. If anyone wants it he also has a paypal account? I will have my tires on by early next week and will try and go by on Monday if I find time. This deal will be over at the end of this month so if you don't place your order by then you are SOL. :rolleyes:

Junior from Cycle City just called me. He took my order and the tires will be shipped to me Monday. I should have them this week. Best group buy I've been involved in.