Duplicate Key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Today I went to the dealer nearest me to pick up a couple of things. While I was there I asked about getting a duplicate key made. I was told that I needed the key code that was provided when the bike was bought new. Problem is, I am the third owner (that I know of) and I have no idea where it was originally sold or who originally bought it. I thought that there might be a way to trace it through the serial number but was told that is not the case. So then I just bought a blank (for $7.50) and will try to get one duplicated. Anyone have any idea about how to get the original code?

Thanks,

Mark

I would call Yamaha Customer Relations at 1 (800) 962-7926 and explain your situation to them. If there is a will, there is a way!

Take your blank to a locksmith, copies are easy. I had copies made on flat headed blanks to carry in my wallet.

Today I went to the dealer nearest me to pick up a couple of things. While I was there I asked about getting a duplicate key made. I was told that I needed the key code that was provided when the bike was bought new. Problem is, I am the third owner (that I know of) and I have no idea where it was originally sold or who originally bought it. I thought that there might be a way to trace it through the serial number but was told that is not the case. So then I just bought a blank (for $7.50) and will try to get one duplicated. Anyone have any idea about how to get the original code?
Thanks,

Mark
Hell, my dealer did for the wifes vstar no problem. Any key copying machine could do it. It's not like they're chipped.

Well, I'll actually answer your question. No, I have no idea how you would be able to get the key code now. With that code, you can just order a key from a Yamaha dealer and it arrives pre-cut.

Of course, the simple solution to your dilemma is to do what everybody else said and just have another cut from one you have.

i went to the hardware store and got 3 or 4 extra at about $0.99 each.

not like the laser-cut, transponder-embeded keys for the STi. code to the dealer, to SOA, back to the dealer and then to me for something like $250 each.

It's not like they're chipped.
Good thing it ain't a CDN machine. Ours ARE chipped. Dealer told me $450 for a new set if I lost my master key! :blink:

Anyone have any idea about how to get the original code?
This may sound like a stupid question... Did you look on the little metal tag on your key ring? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like they're chipped.
Good thing it ain't a CDN machine. Ours ARE chipped. Dealer told me $450 for a new set if I lost my master key! :blink:

Anyone have any idea about how to get the original code?
This may sound like a stupid question... Did you look on the little metal tag on your key ring? :p
FJRGuy,

Your keys are not really chipped.. It is just that ole Japanese tariff on the Canucks! Give it about 150 more years and your debts will be paid in full! HAhahahahaha!

WW

Thanks everyone. I went to a hardware store that cuts keys. They had the blanks and cut me a couple for what I had paid for the blank from the dealer so I took it back. Problem solved.

Mark

Thanks,

Mark

I had the same thing done today. Went to a couple of hardware stores until I found one that had the correct blanks. The designation for the flat head key that worked for me is a standard ILCO X248 (also has YM63 stamped on the key head). I thought it might save you some hassle if you know what to ask for.

Bob

Thanks everyone. I went to a hardware store that cuts keys. They had the blanks and cut me a couple for what I had paid for the blank from the dealer so I took it back. Problem solved.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you have a key that fits, you're golden. Locksmith. Simple. I went to the dealer first with the code; that's who gave me the recommendation. Told me the factory would want $20 or $25 to cut a key from the code. I had the locksmith make three extras for about ten bucks total.

Told me the factory would want $20 or $25 to cut a key from the code.
That's ridiculous.

Though I have had extras made from a local key shop for cheap - because I am anal and I also wanted extras with the little plastic OEM head I had UMotors get me some using the code way back when. They were like $4 a piece. $20 or $25?!?! Damn, that there is some mark-up.

I really like the fact that the FJR keys aren't $100+ items with chips like on some of the bikes I've owned in recent years.

With that said, if you lose your key and it came from Honda, the original selling dealer is supposed to have a record of the key code. Sometimes its hard to trace the original selling dealer down, and sometimes after you chase them down, they don't have good records.

Again, on the Hondas, you can find the key code on the bottom of the lock after you've drilled it out.

Good idea to have a few made at the hardware store while you've still got your original.

One other observation, and that is that when they make you a new key, be sure you can test it in the lock. I've seen several new keys made for other bikes, and even if they were cut from the original blank, because of wear in the cylinder, they don't always work without some fine tuning.