During the Pull

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Or on the side?

Slow-smoked pork shoulders.

Sauce

1.5 Cups cider vinegar

.5 cup water

.5 cup catchup

1 Tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

.25 tsp rep pepper flakes

Sauce during the pull or wait and leave it on the side of what it a great pulled pork base?

Save the sauce for later. I like to enjoy the dark bark before the sauce.

That is just my style.

Last edited by a moderator:
They say that if the meat is cooked and seasoned correctly the sauce is not necessary at all. Whoever "They" is...

Since you are making your own sauce from scratch I would think this allows some leeway. If you planned from the beginning to incorporate the sauce as part of the complete package, by all means add it during the pull. If it is for personal consumption rather than "contest" cooking you should do it the way you want it. I wish I were there to help eat it.

Pulled Pork:

Brine over night

Apply Rub

SSllooww smoke

Two pans for pulling, one plain pulled, the other sauce

(Next time you smoke a shoulder (or something else
drag.gif
cigar.gif
) you will know to sauce or not.)

Pulled pork goes great with any of the Carolina vinegar sauces.

Since you are serving it, I say without. I agree that a good cooked slab of meat might not NEED sauce, but damnit, I do love some good BBQ sauce, so I use it. That said, I am particular about the various kinds of sauce and not all of it appeals to me. You want folks to eat your pork and be happy. No sense ruining the experience with a sauce they don't like if you don't have to. This way, they can have it with, without, or maybe with something different. It's nice to give folks a choice in the matter and they'll appreciate it.

I still might hold off if making it for yourself. Not like you can't just mix some in there.

I was always taught to sauce the meat after pulling if making Carolina Vinegar style like you are. It adds some great flavor and moisture to the pork. Always make additional sauce available on the side for those who want more or to add to slaw. Don't think that there's a right or wrong way. Did a Brisket over the weekend and never sauce that, Texas Style.

In my experience, the texture of the meat will be better if the sauce is added at the table, or wherever the food is eaten. If it's sauced too early, the meat starts to get mushy. Loved the sausage at Arthur Bryant's in KC, but the pulled pork had been soaking in the sauce, and wasn't nearly as good as I expected. As usual, to each his own.....

On the side it was. Pulled great (this wasn't my first rodeo) good smoke, bark, etc. Sauce on the side but everyone liked it once they understood not to soak it like some people do with sweet sauces.

ALWAYS serve your pulled pork (or brisket) dry, and let the consumer decide how he/she wants it.

My FIRST deciding factor on whether or not to return to a barbecue joint I'm visiting for the first time is how they server their pork. If it's wet, and don't offer it dry with sauce on the side, I don't go back.

I'm a "Bark Shark" so I want that particular taste without the sauce on it. And as SwollenRaccoon stated, pre-sauced pork gets kinda mushy sitting in the serving tray.

I WANT SOME DAMNED BBQ NOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, me too. Bounce is trying to turn this one around on me but I ain't bitin'. He knew very damned well how to serve the pork, he just wanted to antagonize us.