Dyna Beads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me the inertia of a mass of liquid would be harder to move around quickly than the mass of a small ceramic bead. Also, depending on the liquid, you'd have to consider the possibility of deteriorating the rubber of the tire and/or the wheel hub.

That's part of the explanation of how these work. They move in response to forces within and applied to the tire.

So if you get a tire puncture, do all the beads shoot out the opening? If you patch it with sticky strings, do the beads stick to the string shoved inside the tire?

Last edited by a moderator:
These things are very big in the tube-using KLR community, and I never heard a complaint. Interesting to see FJR folks using them. I suppose it's mostly you guys who mount your own tires. The KLR guys mostly do their own tire changes, a simpler job than on the Feej, and you don't have to own a balancer gadget and all that. If I did my own tires, I'd use them on the FJR for sure.

Just ordered some off of ebay for about $12. Figured at that price, its worth a try. Probably mount the PR2s the end of the month and dump them in.

These things are very big in the tube-using KLR community, and I never heard a complaint. Interesting to see FJR folks using them. I suppose it's mostly you guys who mount your own tires. The KLR guys mostly do their own tire changes, a simpler job than on the Feej, and you don't have to own a balancer gadget and all that. If I did my own tires, I'd use them on the FJR for sure.
But, but, but... I like playing with my balancer gadget! It gives me time to rest after mounting the new tire (the hardest part of the job) and bolting the wheel back on.

Seriously though, if these things do actually work (nobody who has tried them has had anything bad to say yet) then they may be a good addition to the home tire mounter's tool chest.

The only negative comments I can find are the folks that Have NOT tried them and are saying that there's no way they can work,,,,

The folks that have tried them seem to be all positive ,,,,
Sounds like many of the responses on the CT thread. Ian, Iowa

So wouldn't putting 2 ounces of a liquid in the tire do exactly the same thing as 2 ounces of small beads?
Lots of folks have used antifreeze in tires to dynamically balance the tire/wheel assembly. Not sure if the antifreeze would affect the rubber compounds, but it definitely works. Also makes finding a leak a no brainer, but I doubt you would have much luck with plugs or patches without a thorough cleaning. The beads are doing the same thing without the mess.

If someone was experiencing a problem they felt was attributed to a balance issue, pouring in several ounces of antifreeze was a quick method of eliminating balancing from the equation. If the problem went away, it was just a tire, wheel, brake drum, or hub balance issue. If it didn't fix the problem you just kept looking for something else.

Using the beads or liquids has several advantages over traditional static balancing. The major benifits are dynamic balancing of all components-not just the tire and wheel assembly.

David

Yea, it was good for me. :w00t:

Here is the 'splaination that works: linkage :good:

NO, no! :nono: You have ta look at the text over on the right side. It's all about the inertia!