Ear Cannon horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after much screwing around I came up with another brkt. I took a page out of Harald's book, and this is what I came up with.

100_0649.jpg

100_0647.jpg

100_0650.jpg

I used 1/8" steel, and bent it to match the underside of the plastic air deflector on the bottom tree. It's close to what Harald did, but different. Thanks Harald.

Here's how close it is to the radiator. I replaced the stock horn nut with a nylock nut, and loctite on the 2 bolts in the tree.

100_0645.jpg

100_0644.jpg

Here's the fender clearance. It's 5 1/2- 5 3/4". The 2x4 is 3 1/2" plus 2-2 1/4".

100_0639.jpg

Front view of the horn painted flat black. Eventually I painted the brkt semi gloss black.

100_0646.jpg

It fits up in there good now, and enough clearance for front travel.

I'm not offering these, just thought I'd share the ideas.

I started out with a piece of poster paper 3"x7", cut, fold it to fit up against the plastic air deflector. You will need to cut it to 2 3/8" wide so it fits up in were the bolts are. Leave the rest 3" wide, because you want the mounting hole for the horn to be toward the clutch side of the bike.

100_0654.jpg

Then transfer that to a piece of sheet metal. Bolt that in, and get it to fit in place. Temporarily bolt or hold the horn in place to make sure it's going to work.

Then use the sheet metal as a template to bend the 1/8" steel. The sheet metal is thin enough it wont throw off the dimensions, as long as you put it on top of the steel, or between the steel and the plastic piece. After I got the steel to fit nice, then I cut the corners off as shown in the diagonal lines on this template.

100_0655.jpg

So then it looks like this. :D

100_0647.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally shot a couple of photos of my alternate spot. The horns are dual-tone and from a Volvo, powered through a 30A relay. When I hit the button, it sounds like a Volvo truck!

It takes some heat and stretching of the inner fairing to create a dished area, so that the horns can clear the forks. With the forks fully compressed and at full turn as shown here, I still have almost 3/4" of gap, even though it doesn't show in the photo.

fad2f192.jpg

The horns mount directly to the plastic, with a fender washer spreading the load at the nut.

7394b729.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you guys love to live dangerously. I guess no one here ever hits the front brakes HARD while cornering. You'll find out just how little room you have with that thing hanging over the fender like that. yikes...

Split the 2 pcs and be done with it. It comes apart easily. The hardest part is finding a fitting to use on the horn side. All you need is 5/16" ID fuel line and 2 clamps.

I did a whole writeup with pics on this in '06.

What was the sorce of heat a propane torch ?
This time it was, but the industrial hot air guns are much better and less likely to blister the surface. You need the plastic to get to 380F and they can get to 750F+. The trick is to mask off what you don't want to get so hot. Use aluminum for the mask.