Ear Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy the gooey orange Howard Leight NR33 corded and uncorded plugs for my work crews by the case. they are the best ear plug on the market attenuation, comfort, and durability. I can get a week's worth of use on 1 pair.

That being said, I have found what I consider to be a superior plug for use in a helmet and those are the soft silicon wads that you shape and mold. Personally, I love those things because they do not go way into the ear canal which even with the best Leights, can get uncomfortable if not painful when worn for hours at a time. They have plenty of attenuation for a motorcycle. They even worked well when I ran those Leo Vince SBK's on my FeeJ.
Funny you mentioned that. I just ordered a pair of these https://www.earplugsonline.com/ Figure I will try them. Only 3.90 for one pair shipped to the house. If I like them I can order more.
Those may be similar.

I get these Mack's Pillow Softs for under $5 for 6 pair in a nice plastic container at WalMart Pharmacy section.

https://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ear-plugs-for-motor-sports/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value

I had the same experience - louder with plugs - but started to listen to music a bit on the bike. I use Etymotic ear buds or their ear plugs, and they are excellent.

I use a RF-1000, stock wind screen, and entymotic ear monitors/plugs. I have found that even the weakest ear plugs work great.

As others have said, I would suspect poor helmet fit (transfer of low frequency through direct contact) and/or turbulent air cuasing more noise at the helmet.

I've got the RF-1000 and also use a NOJ Quiet Rider Deluxe skirt in the cooler months and winter. Cuts down on the noise quite a bit, but gets a bit hot in the summer. I also use Hearos ear plugs, and found them to block the most noise with the best comfort. I've got a Cee Bailey +3 flip, which, in certain positions, can get pretty noisy. I've got a Cee Baily shorty for the summer which has much less turbulence.

I have "Custom Ear-Protect" molded to my ear canal and find after a couple of hours they hurt? I now use the softest foam plugs I'm able to find but... making sure they are inserted properly is the most important factor I find in noise reduction and comfort? Oh yeh, Shoei 1000 is my hat.

Funny you mentioned that. I just ordered a pair of these https://www.earplugsonline.com/ Figure I will try them. Only 3.90 for one pair shipped to the house. If I like them I can order more.

I've been using these for the past two years. Best plugs for me. could never get the foam plugs fitted as instructed.

Also.... I recently went from an RF1000 to a Scorpion EXO900 (modular). I find the Scorpion to be both quieter and more comfortable (except at the jaw where it fits a bit tight). The modular feature is fantastic. As in all things.... ymmv..

Keep experimenting... wind noise sucks....

I wanted to thank everyone for the information. I definitely want to start wearing ear plugs. I guess finding the right solution will take some effort and with all the input I received, this is a great start.

Proper fitment might be an issue, I don't reach around and pull on the ear to open then canal. Will definitely try that next ride.

HEHEHE..........He said "reach around"!!!! HEHEHEHE!!.............Sorry, just couldn't resist.

I have "Custom Ear-Protect" molded to my ear canal and find after a couple of hours they hurt? I now use the softest foam plugs I'm able to find but... making sure they are inserted properly is the most important factor I find in noise reduction and comfort? Oh yeh, Shoei 1000 is my hat.
If it hasn't been said before? In order to insert foam plug into the ear which is pulled back and up a little bit, roll the foam plug between thumb and index finger squeezing it into as small a taper that you can get then quickly before it expands insert into the ear! Gently hold your finger against the plug as it expands in the ear canal. Repeat as required.

If it hasn't been said before? In order to insert foam plug into the ear which is pulled back and up a little bit, roll the foam plug between thumb and index finger squeezing it into as small a taper that you can get then quickly before it expands insert into the ear! Gently hold your finger against the plug as it expands in the ear canal. Repeat as required.
Amen brother! I see people all the time that just shove a foam plug in their ear without rolling it or holding the ear canal open. The plug is hanging out like a flag! I can't believe they don't question how little the sound is attenuated, but I guess they've never experienced what it should be like.

I use the same helmet and found that just using cotton takes the edge off without

magnifying sound and pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, technique is EVERYTHING. I didn't used to know how to put them in...now, after rolling them and getting where they need to go, things are QUIET. I can easily tell now when the earplug gets loose.

Years in the construction trade running an impact wrench has taught me that fresh construction grade foam plugs and getting them inserted correctly was paramount.

Reaching from behind the back of the head, tugging on an edge of the ear (we all have unique ear canals so your pinch point may differ slightly from mine) and quickly inserting a plug that's been "rolled" between the thumb and forefinger into the ear canal (as opposed to ramming for you don't want to deform the roll too much at this point) then releasing the ear pinch did the trick for me. You should feel and hear within seconds the sound attenuation increase as the plug expands in the canal.

If the plug feels like it's not holding fast, repeat until you succeed. If that don't get it, get a fresh set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the industrial hearing protection business years ago and have tried just about everything on the market at one time or another. That experience made me a believer in ear plugs. I want to chime in and state that there is no way that any sounds could actually be louder with ear plugs inserted properly than with them out. Could some sounds "seem" louder, yes. That's because the plugs don't attenuate all frequencies equally - some are attenuated more than others. So, some sounds that were masked(click for info on acoustical masking) without plugs, are now audible with them because the sounds that were previously masking them have now been attenuated. Industrial grade plugs will typically reduce sound pressure at your ear drum between 20 and 30 dB. A cotton ear plug has probably 5-15 dB of attenuation. OSHA guidelines are here:

Comparison of Duration Per Day in Hours to Allowable Sound Level in dBA (Slow-Response SPL)

Duration per day (hours)

Sound level (dBA, slow response)

8 90

6 92

4 95

2 100

1 105

½ 110

0.25 115

While I haven't measured the noise inside my helmet, I expect it's around 100 with the stock windshield (down) at hiway speeds. You'll need an earplug with at least 20dB of attenuation to lower the Sound Pressure Level out of the danger zone - or limit your riding to no more than 2 hours per day. :rolleyes:

My preferred plug is the Howard Leight Max. They make a Max Lite for people with smaller ear canals. And yes, these things need a tight seal to work properly. They must be inserted correctly.

More info here:

Motorcycle Wind Noise and Hearing Loss

I'm gradually losing my hearing, probably from work and riding a motorcycle. I have tried to use ear plugs while riding, but the wind noise sounds deeper and louder. I've tried it four or five times to see if it was my imagination, it wasn't. It is almost like the sound of the wind hitting the helmet is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. I have tried different types of ear plugs (two different foam plugs, and some wax type that can be molded to fit your ear. They all seem to have the same effect. Has anyone else had an issue with this.

I was thinking the same thing, with the plugs the ringing in my ears gets louder, i use foam ear plugs, but it seems like the pressure builds up inside my head, anyway i have a v-steam,and a cee baily w/flip some days worse then others, wear a shoei multi- Dean

I'm gradually losing my hearing, probably from work and riding a motorcycle. I have tried to use ear plugs while riding, but the wind noise sounds deeper and louder. I've tried it four or five times to see if it was my imagination, it wasn't. It is almost like the sound of the wind hitting the helmet is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. I have tried different types of ear plugs (two different foam plugs, and some wax type that can be molded to fit your ear. They all seem to have the same effect. Has anyone else had an issue with this.

I was thinking the same thing, with the plugs the ringing in my ears gets louder, i use foam ear plugs, but it seems like the pressure builds up inside my head, anyway i have a v-steam,and a cee baily w/flip some days worse then others, wear a shoei multi- Dean
This used to happen to me too, then I started using the Howard Leight Max Lite plugs, problem is gone now. It still builds up when I do a lot of elevation changes (i.e. going from ~6000ft to 10,000ft mountain passes), at which point I just have to take them out, let pressures equalize and put them back in. Repeat at the lower elevations.

Proper installation of the earplugs makes a huge difference in how well the plugs will attenuate the sound. If the plug is not sitting in the ear canal properly then there is little to be gained from using the plugs.

Most of the foam plugs require that you reach around the back of your head lift pull up and back on the ear to open up the ear canal to allow the plug to be properly inserted. I have included a link to the 3M site on inserting ear plugs.

ear plug instructions

Bustanut should use the type with strings attached so he can remove them when the plugs fall inside his empty head :p
+1.

I'd also say to make sure if you use foam ones that they are not 'old and tired'. Meaning the foam degrades pretty quickly. If I'm on a long tour, I just grab a new pair each day. Hell - they are cheap!

I used to be able to get a box of 50 orange 36dB foam ones from CVS that felt great, were QUIET, and fairly inexpensive. However CVS discontinued selling those. I have about 5 pair left and am a 1 use in hot weather plug wearer...and I have a long trip to Kali coming up. Anybody have a good reco for bulk purchase...and a link to a website maybe?

I used to be able to get a box of 50 orange 36dB foam ones from CVS that felt great, were QUIET, and fairly inexpensive. However CVS discontinued selling those. I have about 5 pair left and am a 1 use in hot weather plug wearer...and I have a long trip to Kali coming up. Anybody have a good reco for bulk purchase...and a link to a website maybe?
These are the easiest to insert that I have found. Very comfortable especially on long rides of 10 -14 hours. They only have a noise reduction up to 29 dB but that works very well for me as it lets the Bluetooth speakers function at volume. They compress instantly for inserting with ease.

image_3549.jpg

Harbor Freight Link.

Keep Going!

These are the easiest to insert that I have found. Very comfortable especially on long rides of 10 -14 hours. They only have a noise reduction up to 29 dB but that works very well for me as it lets the Bluetooth speakers function at volume. They compress instantly for inserting with ease.

image_3549.jpg

Harbor Freight Link.

Keep Going!

Thanks Jim!