Ear Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Shoei Z2. After several years it still fits tight and the plugs work good with it. I used to not use ear plugs at all, but now use them all the time. My ears ring constantly now(at at a low level) and I don't want them to get worse than they already are. Some of that may have come from loud rock music over the years. :lol: I use the foam plugs when riding the Vmax and they work great if properly inserted. I use Sony earplugs with sound for my xm radio on the FJR. They work great also. Knocks out a majority of the noise and I don't have to turn the volume up very loud. Hope this helps some.

GP

I wear the CVS white soft foam plugs with an Arai Vector helmet. Also trying to keep them as fresh as possible. Helps keep the noise way down which in turn allows me not to be as tired at the end of the day if I had not worn ear plugs. I can hear enough to be safe while riding while allowing decent protection, but I too have constant minimal ringing from years of riding bikes, shooting/hunting and probably the main one, use to play drums sitting next to a maniac bass player with a stack of Marshall amps turned up.

There are many different ear plugs out there that offer better protection than foam like the ones shooters or musicians wear. Letting safe sound in while eliminating damaging higher pitch levels. I've always wanted to try these plugs but the price has kept me from purchasing some, which really could have been a mistake in itself. Hope you find a solution to the sound problem. Take care, PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you mentioned that. I just ordered a pair of these https://www.earplugsonline.com/ Figure I will try them. Only 3.90 for one pair shipped to the house. If I like them I can order more.
I have been using these putty units for 3 years. I buy in the 12 pack and usually cut them in half and find that they work better then anything else I have tried. First they fit perfectly. Second is that you can slightly move an edge to allow a air gap and you can eat, talk normally (not so loud), and leave then in. I never forget to put the plugs in and have to stop down the road to do so, especially when the dam radar detector goes off and is set for 100db so I can hear it with the plugs in and no way to stop it while I am going deaf. they are even better, given practical use, then the $150 silicon jobs by Westone which would be my second choice.

I can get two weeks to a month use out of one pair (half size). They do get kind of stinky after a week or so of continued use, but I don't have my nose in my ear. :lol: They are nice and blue, but do get darker in color as you use them. I recycle them, meaning that I put them back in the case. When I run out, i will go back and reuse them.

I had a pair of custom earplugs made by an audiologist some years ago that have been utterly fantastic. I use then I mow the lawn, airplanes, sleepy in noisy environments, or when riding and don't want to listen to anything. They are cleanable, super super comfortable, always go in correctly, and block more noise than any other earplug I have used - and I paid $35 for a pair.

Come to think of it, I've been using them for seven years. Holy crap!

I had a pair of custom earplugs made by an audiologist some years ago that have been utterly fantastic. I use then I mow the lawn, airplanes, sleepy in noisy environments, or when riding and don't want to listen to anything. They are cleanable, super super comfortable, always go in correctly, and block more noise than any other earplug I have used - and I paid $35 for a pair.

Come to think of it, I've been using them for seven years. Holy crap!
$35 a pair sounds awesome. If I could find custom earplugs for that I would buy them. I know 5 or 6 years back I started to get a pair for around $40. Wish I had, now they are about $60 or $70. That's for the companies that do it for motorcyclists. I think audiologist are a lot more than that. I asked one and they said something like $200.

Well, I waited a while to see if anyone else would straighten this out. But I'm dismayed to see that you got some reinforcement for your "perceptions". And as everyone with half a brain knows, perceptions are a very dangerous territory to make decisions based on... ;)

Let me reassure you (as the audiology pro has already earlier) that there is no way in hell that you are actually getting more sound to your ears with ear plugs in (even ill fitted ones) than running with bare ears. This is just a matter of simple physics. There is no way that putting in ear plugs allows increased levels of SPLs to reach your eardrums. That would require amplification, and if you could figure out how to do that with a pair of earplugs you'd be a rich MoFo.

Now, what can be happening is that you perceive that the sound is louder, for a couple of reasons. But remember that perceptions do not cause hearing damage. Actual SPL's do. As was mentioned, earplugs, especially when incorrectly fit in the ear canal, can create a low pass filtering effect. Since the auditory nerves are not quite so overloaded as with no plugs, you begin to perceive those low frequency wind rumbling noises as "deafening". It probably is, but it also was to an even greater degree when you had no ear plugs in and could not sense them due to sensory overload.

Also, another effect that may be throwing you a Beckett curve ball is that, when you do get a good (I mean really good) seal on your ear canals with a highly attenuating ear plugs, one thing that you will initially notice is that through the ride you will hear a hissing / ringing sound, especially when there is no external noise stimuli. WTF is up with that?

I'm definitely not an audiologist, but I have been to one on more than one occasion. Have you? Ever noticed that when you are in the sound booth with ZERO sound and those ear muff headphones on, and you're straining to hear the next little beep, so you can raise the appropriate hand... what do you hear? That damn hissing noise! That's what.

So... what is that? I can't explain it fully, but my thought is that when the actual external stimuli drops below the SNR of your individual acoustic system (your ears, nerves, brain), the input starved system has an automatic gain control that amplifies the noise level to the point of distraction. It;s clear that the AGC effect exists, because after wearing those highly attenuating earplugs for a while you realize that you are definitely able to hear stuff better than you could at first. Except for the hissing...

Anyway, I want to be sure that nobody thinks that it is a good idea to do without hearing protection just because they perceive less noise. Tinnitus is not a good time. And that is what you are setting yourself up for.

If I recall correctly, from my many visits to the audiologist, the tinnitus is constant. Your brain learns to filter it out and ignore it, especially in the presence of other frequencies which serve as distractions. You get rid of the distractions through the use of earplugs and your brain goes: WTF was that!!! Hence, the impression it has gotten louder.

If you want to disagree, you'll have to speak up.

Okay guys, I can agree with what you are saying.

Damage to your hearing aside. If you insert a earplug in your ear and tap on the top of your ear, the tapping sounds louder than without the earplugs. I have tried it with four different plugs, two different moldable types and two different foam types, all with similar results. I'm not saying it is louder, just saying it sounds louder.

Now, I believe the pads in my helmet are touching the tops and backs of my ears and the wind noise is being transferred through the helmet somehow. Again, I'm not saying it is safe to ride without earplugs. Maybe I will have to consider a different fitting helmet.

Okay guys, I can agree with what you are saying.

Damage to your hearing aside. If you insert a earplug in your ear and tap on the top of your ear, the tapping sounds louder than without the earplugs. I have tried it with four different plugs, two different moldable types and two different foam types, all with similar results. I'm not saying it is louder, just saying it sounds louder.

Now, I believe the pads in my helmet are touching the tops and backs of my ears and the wind noise is being transferred through the helmet somehow. Again, I'm not saying it is safe to ride without earplugs. Maybe I will have to consider a different fitting helmet.
I've tried foam plugs but my ear canal is just too small so I had some Westone custom plugs made about 6 years ago. Why oh why did I wait so long. As most on this thread have noted, tinnitus is no fun, I have it constantly now to one degree or the other. Anyway, I recently lost the plugs and had to go in this week to be fitted for new ones. Getting two pair made to have backup, $80 each pair. While talking with the audiologist he noted that caffeine and sugar, since they are stimulants, will tend to increase the ringing.

As far as hearing sound louder through your skill, this is true since bone will conduct sound directly to the ear. After seeing some positive comments about the Shoei Qwest I ordered one and so far am very pleased. This is one quiet helmet. With my Calsci windshield up and the Qwest on, there is no howling. I'll still wear the plugs though.

I also picked up a set of the silicon plugs from Walmart as back-up but they don't seem to cut the sound as well as the custom ear plugs and seemed to loose their tackiness that holds them in after a while. I think I will order a set of the blue ones mentioned above.

I think I paid about $150 for a set made by ab audiologist and that was 6 or 7 years ago. They also took up too much space in my ear and were uncomfortable.

Bone conductivity{clicky} is not attenuated by ear plugs. So, if you block your ear canal, you're going to notice the bone conducted sound more. It's not any louder than it ever was, it's just seems louder now that the ear canal sound is blocked. So, if you have a helmet that doesn't fit right or is poorly designed and conducts a lot of noise to your skull, it could get annoying. :clapping:

If anybody wants to try DIY custom molded ear plugs, they are available on Ebay for under $20 a pair. Log into Ebay and search for "custom ear plugs".

No one has mentioned these..... "EAR soft Grippers".... 31db and they will stay where you put them. Comfortable enough to wear everyday for a month as I did in NZ the month of December of '08. The old lady, Snow White, also wore them for a month and she has very small ear cannals. I always roll 'um, lick n'um and stuff 'um. I also clip the damned cord, but then maybe you'll like the cord? Their only problem is you have to buy a box of them.

My link

No one has mentioned these..... "EAR soft Grippers".... 31db and they will stay where you put them. Comfortable enough to wear everyday for a month as I did in NZ the month of December of '08. The old lady, Snow White, also wore them for a month and she has very small ear cannals. I always roll 'um, lick n'um and stuff 'um. I also clip the damned cord, but then maybe you'll like the cord? Their only problem is you have to buy a box of them.

My link
Some people like the tether in those EAR soft Grippers. Hang 'em around your neck and they'll never get lost after you've dismounted, unlike individual plugs that you end up digging for in your front pockets. For me, unfortunately, the tether always seemed to snag on something and work a plug loose. I ended up instead storing untethered plugs in a shallow pill container, along with the spares.

Went for a ride yesterday using these plugs: https://www.earplugsonline.com/ Not going to get into it, but they are not for me. Now, after realizing that, I put in a pair of Hearos. Taking advice from this thread, I made sure to insert the plugs correctly, turns out I hadn't been inserting them in all the way. All I can say is thanks for all the advice and suggestions. They worked great, blocking out the wind noise. I will definitely be using plugs from now on, don't want to lose anymore of my hearing.

I finally found and ordered some EAR grippers. Box of 50 arriving next week. They are supposed to be the cat's ass when it comes to foam plugs, especially for people like moi with big ear canals. Up until now I have been using Howard Leight Max plugs and circumcizing the tips off of them so I can push them deeper into my big ear holes without bottoming out into my ear drums. So far that has been the benchmark in quietude for me.

I'm gradually losing my hearing, probably from work and riding a motorcycle. I have tried to use ear plugs while riding, but the wind noise sounds deeper and louder. I've tried it four or five times to see if it was my imagination, it wasn't. It is almost like the sound of the wind hitting the helmet is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. I have tried different types of ear plugs (two different foam plugs, and some wax type that can be molded to fit your ear. They all seem to have the same effect. Has anyone else had an issue with this.

Go to bigear.com You need made-to-fit earplugs. Mine have speakers for radar detector or i-pod, but you can get good quality fit earplugs without speakers.They seal out most wind noise, and comfortable enough to do a Saddle Sore 1000