Ear-plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that the use of ear plugs to reduce wind noise is a good idea.  So far, I haven't had any success with them.
What do ear-plug-users recommend?
I have really small ear canals that seem to be bothered after a period of time by most foam earplugs. For commuting I have tried various products, but the ones that I seem to get the most wear out of and that on longer rides hurt my ears the least seem to be the low pressure foam plugs from Moldex, the Pura-Fit 6900. I buy them by the case and that case usually lasts me a couple of years. I buy the earplus with the cords attached, and it's harder to misplace one of the pair that way.

https://www.tasco-safety.com/earplugs/moldex-ear-plugs.html

The nice thing about buying a case (100 pair) at a time is that when the plugs start getting hard to put in, or start looking fairly grungy I have no anguish whatsoever about just tossing them and pulling another packaged pair out of my 'Stich pockets. I keep several spare pair in the 'Stich and usually have a couple of extra pair stashed on the bike as well. My wife also uses them to mask my snoring, and I also keep several pair in my computer bag and don't hesitate to put them in my ears when I fly for business.

Cheers.

Rob

06 Waiter, current R1000RT pilot and 200,000 mile Beemer guy

I got my custom molded ones at a Gun show. They were about $40. Took about 15minutes to make. Very comfortable too.

The foam ones are good but fall off when the helmet goes on, brushing past the ears. Once they are on they are OK though.

I have noticed way less rider fatigue after 200miles.

Wear earplugs all the time when I ride. I use Howard Leight "Max" earplugs and I buy them by the case. I just wish I would have used earplugs earlier in my life when riding motorcycles and shooting firearms. Probably would not have the hearing loss and tinnitus I have now.

Long term usage, the custom molds are the way to go. For quick anc convenient the foam inserts hold the candel.