earbud comparison help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo EM...

I can't tell you if there is any difference but I have the 6i's and I love 'em a lot. Go get 'em and be happy...they provide enough noise reduction that they are functional and they are comfortable, fit great under the helmet, don't fall out...they're awesome...

"I" is 25 db noise reduction . . . They're audio is very nice but custom earbuds are more comfortable (and cost more), I have both . . .

"I" is 25 db noise reduction . . . They're audio is very nice but custom earbuds are more comfortable (and cost more), I have both . . .
True Dat. I have a set of custom-molded earplugs w/speakers and the improvement over the Etymotics is incredible (GAVE the Etymotics away). More dynamic sound throughout the range. Richer bass. And infinitely more comfortable. Wore mine through three straight tanks of gas coming back from Utah (660 miles) and never needed to remove them.

The guy to contact is Arizona Al (Al Schibi). He's a long-distance BMW rider who goes to a lot of rallies and makes the earplugs the same day (it's a completely new process that takes no more than a couple of hours). The earplugs don't have speakers (attenuators) in them. The attenuators are actually upstream and the sound is fed to your earplugs through coiled plastic tubes. This helps give that rich sound. Al will also work with you if you provide him with a set of ear impressions done at your local audiologist. He can be contacted at:

[email protected]

Disclaimer/admission: I'm a very satisfied customer and therefore quite biased. My XM Radio, Valentine-1, Garmin, police scanner, bike-to-bike communication, in fact everything I run through my Autocom sounds incredibly clear. Everyone should enjoy audio this good on their bike.

I have a custom molded ear piece for my police radio, but it is hard plastic, are these plugs hard plastic too? Cuz when I wear my police radio with my riot helmet, it hurts my ears after about an hour.

True Dat. I have a set of custom-molded earplugs w/speakers and the improvement over the Etymotics is incredible (GAVE the Etymotics away). More dynamic sound throughout the range. Richer bass. And infinitely more comfortable. Wore mine through three straight tanks of gas coming back from Utah (660 miles) and never needed to remove them.

The guy to contact is Arizona Al (Al Schibi). He's a long-distance BMW rider who goes to a lot of rallies and makes the earplugs the same day (it's a completely new process that takes no more than a couple of hours). The earplugs don't have speakers (attenuators) in them. The attenuators are actually upstream and the sound is fed to your earplugs through coiled plastic tubes. This helps give that rich sound. Al will also work with you if you provide him with a set of ear impressions done at your local audiologist. He can be contacted at:

[email protected]

Disclaimer/admission: I'm a very satisfied customer and therefore quite biased. My XM Radio, Valentine-1, Garmin, police scanner, bike-to-bike communication, in fact everything I run through my Autocom sounds incredibly clear. Everyone should enjoy audio this good on their bike.
Would the attenuators work with any earplugs? Have any pics of that? And does Arizona Al do the work with getting the attenuators or is that a seperate thing?

thx..... looking at different audio options myself.

Where do you find the 25 db noise reduction info? I'm all over there site and don't see it.

I've got the 6i's, I started using the foam eartips since they seem to block out more noise. But they get dirty, as earplugs tend to do, so i need new tips.

BUT. I'm wondering what the db value really is for them. Thinking about the ER4s, as they have a listed 35 dB with flanged tips, 42 dB with foamies. I'm guessing these are better (from the price), but would like to know where the ER6i's stand before splashing out.

https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

Would the attenuators work with any earplugs? Have any pics of that? And does Arizona Al do the work with getting the attenuators or is that a seperate thing?
Custom-molded earplugs with the speakers in the earplugs was state-of-the-art a few years back. I had a set of those from Al and they worked fine. They were comfortable and I got good sound. But when I tried the new style, with the speakers (attenuators) down below and the sound fed into the earplugs via coiled plastic tube, I was blown away.

As for the attenuators (speakers) working without ear plugs, I doubt it as they are quite small and their actual volume would probably not work outside of a sealed environment. But you can always contact Al and ask him. He's got the answers.

Custom-molded earplugs with the speakers in the earplugs was state-of-the-art a few years back. I had a set of those from Al and they worked fine. They were comfortable and I got good sound. But when I tried the new style, with the speakers (attenuators) down below and the sound fed into the earplugs via coiled plastic tube, I was blown away.

As for the attenuators (speakers) working without ear plugs, I doubt it as they are quite small and their actual volume would probably not work outside of a sealed environment. But you can always contact Al and ask him. He's got the answers.
I see, so the custom plugs have some sort of insert to allow for the plastic coil? that makes sense.

Do you have to stop by Al's place to do the custom work? I don't get out to the states that often, much less AZ!

thanks for the clarification.

I have the Er6i's and like them alot. I know the custome molded plugs are more comfortable, since I have a pair I use for shooting. That required wearing them ALL DAY for sometimes up to a week straight. However, I wanted to give the ER6i's a try before I spent the extra money on the customs. Biggest problem I have with the 6i's is that I have put put them is so far to get a good seal, that they are then a little hard to get out. I need to mess around with the extra parts that come with the 6i's and see if the other tips will help.

I have the Er6i's and like them alot. I know the custome molded plugs are more comfortable, since I have a pair I use for shooting. That required wearing them ALL DAY for sometimes up to a week straight. However, I wanted to give the ER6i's a try before I spent the extra money on the customs. Biggest problem I have with the 6i's is that I have put put them is so far to get a good seal, that they are then a little hard to get out. I need to mess around with the extra parts that come with the 6i's and see if the other tips will help.

try the foamies that they came with. They block out more.... they will get dirty tho, so if you like them, you'll need to get a 'plenty-pack'!

The er4's stick out of the ear farther than the er6's. Could be uncomfortable getting the helmet on and off and also comfor while riding. The er6's and 6i's iirc are the same physically. The sound response is different in the bass etc or something to this effect.

My .02 worth..

The ER6's have better frequency response than the 6i's. For once, I can actually hear the result that the spec's claim. I started with the 6i's then was forced to the 6's due to StarComm issues. After using the 6's, I'm much happier with them over the 6i's.

BTW - if you are running a StarComm, you should be using the 6's. The 6i's were designed for low level audio output devices like mp3 players, ipods, etc. and have a very low impedance value, IIRC, about 15 ohms. The StarComm unit has a relatively high impedance value of IIRC ~36 ohms.

When I run the 6i's with the StarCom on hot days, the StarCom's audio power amplifier goes into thermal meltdown with resultant shitty sound. The thermal 'meltdown' is due to the StarComm having to source more current into the lower impedance 6i's, combined with ambient heat. This happened *EVERY* time ambient temp exceeded 85F.

Since using the 6's, IIRC, ~45 ohms impedance, the StarComm has not failed once.

YMMV.

My .02 worth..The ER6's have better frequency response than the 6i's. For once, I can actually hear the result that the spec's claim. I started with the 6i's then was forced to the 6's due to StarComm issues. After using the 6's, I'm much happier with them over the 6i's.

BTW - if you are running a StarComm, you should be using the 6's. The 6i's were designed for low level audio output devices like mp3 players, ipods, etc. and have a very low impedance value, IIRC, about 15 ohms. The StarComm unit has a relatively high impedance value of IIRC ~36 ohms.

When I run the 6i's with the StarCom on hot days, the StarCom's audio power amplifier goes into thermal meltdown with resultant shitty sound. The thermal 'meltdown' is due to the StarComm having to source more current into the lower impedance 6i's, combined with ambient heat. This happened *EVERY* time ambient temp exceeded 85F.

Since using the 6's, IIRC, ~45 ohms impedance, the StarComm has not failed once.

YMMV.
Hmm thats very interesting. I used to have ER-6's and now am running ER-6i because they seem to fit me better. I always run them where the ambient temperature is over 85F (hell, its usually over 100) and have never had any problems with my StarComm.

I forgot to mention I use both with the Autocomm system with radar detector, Sirius sat radio, Zumo GPS, cell phone, & Garmin Rino for GMRS/FRS radios. . .