Earplugs Redoux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhkfjr

Reaction score
I like to ride with the windshield (V-Stream) up just a little so I get air pushing against my chest and helmet. This helps keep me balanced on the seat but it's very, very noisy in the helmet. Over the past few years I've tried to wear earplugs

I.ve tried the pink funnel shaped, the green cylindrical shaped and the rubber ones with the graduated pips. None of these were comfortable and they didn't stay sealed in my ear canal so they were basically useless to me. Things stuck way up in the ear canal make me very uncomfortable. So I went down to the local CVS pharmacy to re-visit the earplug issue. They had all the afore mentioned types but also some I hadn't seen before. They're called Macks Pillow Soft Earplugs. CVS has their own store brand as well. They're made of silicone putty about the size of a big marble. You put the "marble" in your ear against the ear canal and just sort of press it around and it seals the ear canal mostly from the outside. It only goes up the canal a little bit so you don't feel it there at all.

I put them in while watching a football game in my living room and it was like the sound got turned off. I quick got up and put on my helmet and it was like I was in the "cone of silence". Well now I had to go for a test ride. This is the really cool part. I just put new PR2s front and rear so the bike is super smooth on the asphalt. There was absolutely no wind noise in the helmet and the bike felt like it wasn't even touching the pavement. It was like flying in a soundproof cockpit. The visuals are flying by but there's no auditory component. You only get a sense of speed by how fast things are whizzing by and by checking the speedo. It was like riding in some parralel universe. You can feel the acceleration and speed in a totally different way when its not all intermingled with engine noise, road noise, and wind roar. I've got 95k on my 07 and I've never experienced anything like this. Sorry to be so dramatic but I had to share this with you guys.

It *sounds* like you've experienced what good (fitting) earplugs are like. I use the Hear-o's, also available at pharmacy's, and wouldn't ride without them. As we all know, hearing loss is permanent.

Heck I've even slept using the Hear-o's. At a noisy campsite, worked great :)

I like to ride with the windshield (V-Stream) up just a little so I get air pushing against my chest and helmet. This helps keep me balanced on the seat but it's very, very noisy in the helmet. Over the past few years I've tried to wear earplugs

I.ve tried the pink funnel shaped, the green cylindrical shaped and the rubber ones with the graduated pips. None of these were comfortable and they didn't stay sealed in my ear canal so they were basically useless to me. Things stuck way up in the ear canal make me very uncomfortable. So I went down to the local CVS pharmacy to re-visit the earplug issue. They had all the afore mentioned types but also some I hadn't seen before. They're called Macks Pillow Soft Earplugs. CVS has their own store brand as well. They're made of silicone putty about the size of a big marble. You put the "marble" in your ear against the ear canal and just sort of press it around and it seals the ear canal mostly from the outside. It only goes up the canal a little bit so you don't feel it there at all.

I put them in while watching a football game in my living room and it was like the sound got turned off. I quick got up and put on my helmet and it was like I was in the "cone of silence". Well now I had to go for a test ride. This is the really cool part. I just put new PR2s front and rear so the bike is super smooth on the asphalt. There was absolutely no wind noise in the helmet and the bike felt like it wasn't even touching the pavement. It was like flying in a soundproof cockpit. The visuals are flying by but there's no auditory component. You only get a sense of speed by how fast things are whizzing by and by checking the speedo. It was like riding in some parralel universe. You can feel the acceleration and speed in a totally different way when its not all intermingled with engine noise, road noise, and wind roar. I've got 95k on my 07 and I've never experienced anything like this. Sorry to be so dramatic but I had to share this with you guys.
So are they a One Time use? or do you just remold them every time, kind of like PlayDoh :lol:

So are they a One Time use? or do you just remold them every time, kind of like PlayDoh :lol:
Directions

DO NOT INSERT INTO EAR CANAL. COVER ONLY.

1. Make sure hands and ear opening are clean and dry. Shape whole plug into a ball.

2. Place plug over ear opening and flatten to form airtight seal. Avoid hair.

3. Do not insert into ear canal!

4. To loosen and remove, press up behind ear. Discard when soiled or no longer sticky (up to 5 uses). For best results when flying, wear earplugs entire flight. Do not cut, break apart or elongate earplugs.

Ingredients

Moldable, non-irritating silicone rubber

I can't stand absolute silence, so on the SV-650, I use the Etymotic ER-20s that at least let me hear the RPM of the engine.

The ER-20s have 3 "mushrooms" and I have to clip the smallest one off, or it pokes me in the eardrum. After that, they're fine. I love the fact that they're easily cleanable, and a pair lasts about a year.

On the FJR, the Cee Bailey's +6 +4 blocks all the wind, so I don't need earplugs. Tire noise from cars that I pass sure is damned loud though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every few months, I just grab a pack of foam plugs from Lowes...a variety pack of orange and purple plugs. They work great for me and are comfortable all day long so long as you get them into your ear canal far enough (not a problem if done properly). Of course, they don't screen out everything, but they do lessen the db's hitting me.

mp_personallistening_westone_6.jpg

I've found auditory bliss with these. Spendy, but very good. Westone 3.

why would you go with westone 3's when you can go to an audiologist and have custom earplugs make with westone speakers in them for 100 bucks less. Custom plugs are truly the "gold standard" if you dont mind coughing up the cash. I started with a pair of custom full block plugs (100 bucks) and was hooked from there. when i got my gps , i went and had westone customs made and i'll never look back. I've used many alternatives and found them to work pretty well untill i have them in there for extended periods of time (like over an hour). they get uncomfortable after that since they actually sit deep within your ear canal. The custom plugs dont need to sit in so far to give you that kind of blocking power. The custom plugs also stay in your ear when removing your helmut. I still use foam plugs occasionally for very short trips and lawnmowing, but the custom plugs cant be beat on the bike.

Greygoose

Here's a thought: Are you replacing damaging road and wind generated sound with damaging music generated sound? Do you increase the amplitude of your music to mask the road noise?

Studies have been done relating use of in-the-ear speakers with auditory threshold shifts. Just askin', WBill

why would you go with westone 3's when you can go to an audiologist and have custom earplugs make with westone speakers in them for 100 bucks less. Custom plugs are truly the "gold standard" if you dont mind coughing up the cash. I started with a pair of custom full block plugs (100 bucks) and was hooked from there. when i got my gps , i went and had westone customs made and i'll never look back. I've used many alternatives and found them to work pretty well untill i have them in there for extended periods of time (like over an hour). they get uncomfortable after that since they actually sit deep within your ear canal. The custom plugs dont need to sit in so far to give you that kind of blocking power. The custom plugs also stay in your ear when removing your helmut. I still use foam plugs occasionally for very short trips and lawnmowing, but the custom plugs cant be beat on the bike.

Greygoose

I've been using some Sony earphone plug type for a couple of years. Bought them at Best Buy. They block the majority of the wind noise and the fidelity is very good at a moderate volume. You can still hear engine noise and horns and sirens, which I think is a good idea. I rode with them on 600+ mile days last year with little or no discomfort. All for around $30.

GP

I have some custom molded iPlugz from E.A.R. Inc www.earinc.com that I ride with. Very spendy, but worth it in my opinion. I can ride all day with no discomfort, they cut the wind noise out, I can still hear sirens etc. and I can listen to my GPS/music at a reasonable volume.

Here's a thought: Are you replacing damaging road and wind generated sound with damaging music generated sound? Do you increase the amplitude of your music to mask the road noise?

Studies have been done relating use of in-the-ear speakers with auditory threshold shifts. Just askin', WBill
No. I play them through my iPhone at about 1/4 volume. I can hear the music and the windrush is gone. Even walking around in the house 1/4 volume is well within normal, non-damaging limits.

Greygoose
I looked into custom earplugs but after reading so many positive reviews, I decided to give them a shot. They fit easily under my helmet, seal out the wind noise, and the sound is simply unmatched. I'm somewhat of an audio snob and in addition to wanting to block out the wind, I also wanted accurate music reproduction. These provide both. In addition, they ship with something like 12 different tips. I played around with a few before settling on a set that seemed custom made for my ears. I've ridden with them in for 12 hours at a time and haven't had any real discomfort. There's a little soreness after a marathon ride...but nothing to get into a twist over.

The custom earplugs simply weren't necessary for me. If I find that over time they start to bother me, I'll have them replaced with a set of Westone Elite Series 5 custom monitors. However, those are stupid expensive and the off the rack Westone 3's I have now work so well, I just don't see the need.