Earplugs, Windshields and ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Hearos. They are soft and painless even for extended time periods under a helmet.

They don't last forever though. The noise supression seems best the first time you use 'em so buy several pair.

I like Hearos. They are soft and painless even for extended time periods under a helmet.They don't last forever though. The noise supression seems best the first time you use 'em so buy several pair.
Well I ordered a clasci large windscreen on a friends recomedation for starters. I am going to pick up some Hearos today after work at the local Walgreens and proceed from there. Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions!

I still have quite abit of wind roar. I think my problem is my Helmet. Shoei RF 1000, I would NOT recommend it for quite. Looks great, fits great but very noisy. I have not tried the new windscreen yet, but I probably will. Just can't afford it right now. I didn't know there was a trial screen floating, I may get in line for that also.
Wildman
I'm 6' and have a +4+4 CeeBailey with a RF-1000. It's pretty quiet when the shield is all the way up and I don't need the plugs.

Bob

Well I may have to break down and get some custom fitted plugs. When I put my helmet on with the foam ones they seem to shift and not be too secure. Maybe I can try trimming the plug a bit so it doesn't stick out quite so far?

FWIW, eBay item # 330020259988

I get foam plugs from the safety people at work for free, I believe that adds another 3db of attenuation. :D

I like Hearos. They are soft and painless even for extended time periods under a helmet.They don't last forever though. The noise supression seems best the first time you use 'em so buy several pair.
Well I ordered a clasci large windscreen on a friends recomedation for starters. I am going to pick up some Hearos today after work at the local Walgreens and proceed from there. Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions!

Ok, one easy solution...shrink!

I'm only 5'6", and my used bike came with the oversized Bee Baily shield..I could adjust it up or so to where I was not getting any wind noise, I was only hearing the bike. Almost as quiet with the stock shield, but i wearing a windier helmet....

anyway, check out the full face helmets the sportbike riders use... some of them are very quiet.

the custom moulded earplugs are pbly the bet way to go, although the foam plugs work well.

sometime your ears are not equal... I need one small foam plug and one medium. I prefer the square ended ones, they seem to fit me best.

different for different folks, try different ones.

mary

If the yellow or orange foam earplugs are moving when you put your helmet on, then you don't have them inserted correctly. The secret to inserting that type of earplug is to roll it in a cylinder between you thumb and pointer finger, reach over the top of your head and grab the top of your ear and pull up and out a little, insert the earplug into your ear and hold it in, let go of your ear lobe and wait while the earplug expands in your ear. This ensures it's seated deep enough to give you the noise reduction needed. It's a good idea to try different brands because I've found some seal better than others in my ears.

I'm an aircraft mechanic and have been wearing those puppies for many years for obvious reasons. I also wear them under my Shoei RF200 helmet. Luckily mine are supplied for free at work :clapping: I've found the plain yellow EAR brand cylinders work good for me, although I've recently started using the EAR soft ones that are countoured shaped - they really seal well. I've never had luck with the orange countoured ones. I've noticed that many sporting good stores carry a variety and they're pretty cheap to try out.