Earplugs!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmc

Ginger-Mex Extraordinaire
Reaction score
So, I've got this problem. I have a 8 month prego wife at home, and I am having trouble sleeping because of umm... noise. Chainsaw like nonstop noise. Apparently this is common, but it's killing me.

I have some of those orange foam earplugs, but damn, after a few hours they are all itchy and shit. Nothing worse than itching IN your ear canal.

So, I call on the infinite wisdoms of my FJR bretheren, to help me in my search. I know we are all very familiar with the jamming of things in ears.

What I am looking for:

1) max DB reduct

2) NOT itchy!!!

3) able to stay in while sleeping

HELP ME! :( :(

PS: and don't tell me to count Bust's sheep. I don't want nightmares. Well, I don't want them any worse than the ones I got after seeing pictures of everyone violate poor Dolly. :huh:

For your own safety and that of your Feejer, do not make any reference to your spouse and chainsaws....its down right dangerous to poke at the hormone crazy ladies and they NEVER forget!!! :dribble:

Have you tried the wax type of plugs? Should be available at your druggery.

I've tried the wax but don't care for them. Maybe I'm not using them right, but they just don't feel good in there. And she is painfully aware of her snoretasticness. She was worried about apnea but apparently it's just a side effect of the whole pregs thing.

Har har on the s-plugs. Although I do lust for a pair to use while riding.

The old standard foams eh? You wear them every night? Is your spousal unit pregno too or do you live near a bombing range? :lol:

Next stop is the guest bedroom......... rather not though. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it's actually quite nice, but I prefer my own bed.

Keep em coming, I will try anything right about now. I'm actually looking forward to a baby crying instead of my baby snoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try rubbing just a trace amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream onto the plugs you are already using. Should make the itchy go away. Do not slather them - just a little bit all the way around.

I wear the plastic ones you get in the power tools section or the shooting stores, with the three cup-shapes on them. Do not try the ones with the straight blade-type doodads, you want the cups. I ride with them and if need be I can sleep with them. If they come with a line holding them together I usually rip that out at the start.

They're cheap, they last forever, and you can wear them forever.

I absolutely hate the foam plugs. They not only itch, I get sores in my ears from them.

I Have a den that the missus calls the "testosterone room"! It's well equipped with big screen, surround sound, desk, recliner and a couch that pulls out to a bed! From time to time, a man (and the wife!) just needs a good nights sleep. It's amazing how much better she is after I've slept good!

We've had two kids and been happily married 20 years!

If you think your having fun now, wait till menopause!

E-A-R® Classicare my favorite. I work on boilers and noisy stuff, so i've tried them all.

I don't even sleep with my wife, except for conjugal visits. She sleeps with two fans, snores, tosses around, and talks in her sleep. She has elbowed me in the eye several times, and ground her elbow in my back while rooting my across the bed.

ROTFLMAO...All y'all are terrible! I could comment but I'd be in HOT water and sleeping with the dog.

Good luck with the ear plugs. Keep trying until you find the ones that are right for you.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife often sounds like someone playing with a chainsaw while strapped to an F16 testing it's afterburners. I've heard her while mowing in the backyard. Seriously. I use the orange disposables to knock the edge off the sound (in no way, shape or form eliminates the sound). Most of the time they don't itch for me. Helps if your ears are clean- but don't clean them just before putting them in, that just irritates the ear canal and makes it worse. For me, cleaning in the morning after removing the plugs gives my ears enough time to feel better for that night. But there are nights I just have to sleep somewhere else. Knowing your situation probably has an endpoint might also help :) . Good luck!

One reason I avoid the earplugs, is because it isolates me from my surroundings. I don't like not being able to hear the kids, or someone poking around outside. It's happened, so I thought I'd add the thought.

So, I've got this problem. I have a 8 month prego wife at home, and I am having trouble sleeping because of umm... noise. Chainsaw like nonstop noise. Apparently this is common, but it's killing me.
I have some of those orange foam earplugs, but damn, after a few hours they are all itchy and shit. Nothing worse than itching IN your ear canal.

So, I call on the infinite wisdoms of my FJR bretheren, to help me in my search. I know we are all very familiar with the jamming of things in ears.

What I am looking for:

1) max DB reduct

2) NOT itchy!!!

3) able to stay in while sleeping

HELP ME! :( :(

I love an optimist. I've been hoping the snoring will stop for 21 years. Actually the snoring isn't as bad as all of the whistling, wheezing, snorting. Of course, I never snore even a bit.