Electrical connector broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curiosity got me to looking at my deer strike fotos from 2007. Guess what I found?

P1010011.jpg

and here is the very same connector!

BrokenConnector.jpg

Thanks for all the great suggestions! :clapping:

Jim from EasterBeaver is based in Japan, and can source many OEM connectors. If you don't find a suitable one on this page you could drop him an email.
Connectors
Wow - he has really neat products and cheap too.. There goes the credit card again...

I think I'd do the Posi-lock thing, and I have some I can send you if you want 'em....
Thanks Toe, I have some Posi's and may end up using them.. Although I'd like to have it all be in one connector.

I think I'd go with this - Molex connectors
Or you could really go low end trailer park and use a flat trailer hitch wiring connector. :dribble:
Molex - maybe they've improved since the mid 80's when I was using them for power plant intstrumentation work. They were problematic, in that the female connector would 'spread' after time, causing poor connections. And, I do have about 4 of them trailer wiring connectors laying around... :lol:

Actually bud, I've got a couple old XS11 harness bits that I recently aquired. How many pins are there? I can see if I might have something you can use as a replacement. Should be able to pop the wires out of the old plug and pop them into the new.
Silent, 13 pins, see foto's above. I'd be surprised if the same connector was used back in the day, but hey, it's worth a look!

In a quick online glance, they weren't in my supplier's online catalog.
This source who I'm not familiar with, just found with google seems to have the same series of connectors, they show an 8 pin. 13 pin is kinda rare.

I do have a some 6 pin connectors, both male and female. I could send you a pair of each on Monday. I'll also check the paper catalogs just to be sure.
Slappie, is this same connector, pix stolen from EasternBeaver
13P090K-SMHM.jpg

or

13P090K-MT.jpg

Actually bud, I've got a couple old XS11 harness bits that I recently aquired. How many pins are there? I can see if I might have something you can use as a replacement. Should be able to pop the wires out of the old plug and pop them into the new.
Silent, 13 pins, see foto's above. I'd be surprised if the same connector was used back in the day, but hey, it's worth a look!
Yea, you were right. I drew a bust. I've got almost a complete wiring harness, and nothing near what your after Don. Sorry.

The one on the bottom looks like your guy. Right series terminals and everything.
Don,

I tend to agree with Slappy, except for the black plastic this looks like a dead ringer for your replacement part. Buy two of them, their cheap!

13P090K-MT.jpg

While you are at it, get this connector too (.110 connectors), it fits on the heated grip controller power line.

a_sumi110-2p.jpg

That is a good place to pick up a signal wire for a driving light relay. It will keep your driving lights off until you fire the engine.

The shipping price should be the same for 1 set or all 3 sets.

Good luck! :)

Brodie

Thought I'd post an update to this thread..

Guess what arrived today? An Eager Beaver,

1EasternBeaver.jpg

All the way from Japan?

2FromJapan.jpg

The parts

3Contents.jpg

Close up view of new connector

4Connector.jpg

When I first looked, it didn't seem right.. but then again... it Fits!

5ItFits.jpg

Old connector coming apart. I used a small set of dykes of cut the plastic away, after first taking notes of the wire location. The wires on either side don't necessarily match color code..

6BadConnector.jpg

I cleaned corrosion off the males and coated with dialectic grease.

7AlmsostApart.jpg

The finished product, and everything works!

8Finished.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Many, many Thank You's to all that helped, provided advice and words of encouragement! I really appreciate you help! [/SIZE] :yahoo:

Just an FYI - I was in FRYS today and they had a very good selection of Molex connectors, so if you live near one you may be able find it there too.

DC - nice work!

I tend to agree with Slappy, except for the black plastic this looks like a dead ringer for your replacement part.
I know of about 12 companies making the exact same 090 series connectors. Granted, the 13 pin in case is kind of rare. Sometimes a company will offer two different materials that are different colors. IIRC black is typically ABS and the white is typically Nylon.

for future reference, here's the sumitomo catalog for this series. This connector is the last on page 3.

Last edited by a moderator: