Electrical

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
Love the FJR. Bought new 2007. Has had both recalls, high altitude, and ignition switch. 18,000 miles. Pulled into steak and shake last week in daytona, Biketoberfest, engine quits. Windshield stays up even with battery disconected. Both turn signal indicator lights and high beam light stays lit when key on. Fuel gauge flashes 8 times pauses and flashes again repeating cycle. Battery tests good. Won't turn over to start. Checked code reads 16. Don't know what that means. Any help is appreciated. Don.

Error code 16 is "Stuck throttle position sensor is detected" Page 8-81 POS FSM. Sorry, haven't a clue what that means. Don't know how that would relate to your symptoms (but I'm on my second glass of wine so how would I know?). Maybe one of the smart-ish guys will be along and give a speculation.

A funky set of electrical issues like you describe would lead me to think you have been bitten by the spider.

There are a lot of posts about ground spider problems, including pictures and much better descriptions of what to look for than I can give you.

Try here, here, and here for a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
A funky set of electrical issues like you describe would lead me to think you have been bitten by the spider.

There are a lot of posts about ground spider problems, including pictures and much better descriptions of what to look for than I can give you.

Hi guys, Thanks for the imput. Disreguard the #16 code as I think I ran the diagnostic code wrong. I will re try to read the code on sunday and repost with the correct code. Thanks, Don.

I'm thinking ground spider too. Usually when you get a bizarre set of electrical problems like this with no obvious explanation, the ground spider has bitten you. Fortunatley, the fix is easy. Search the site for "ground spider" and you'll turn up lots of information.

If the spider bit you, make sure you get a formal complaint into NHTSA to help force Yamaha to deal with the problem.

Link to Brodie's Grounding Harness: Clickity-click-click
Hi guys, it's sunday and I went out and tore down the bike. Sure enough it's the spyder #4, wire bare, removed ground prong, cleaned, reinstalled and bike back to normal. I've seen the fix ala brodies wire harness but to fix the yamaha wire harness "bare wire, melted ground plug" is everyone replacing the yamaha wire harness or just splicing into the yamaha harness? Thanks for all the great help! Don.

Link to Brodie's Grounding Harness: Clickity-click-click
If it is a spider bite then Brodie's harness won;t help until the problem is fixed.

And, as directed. If it turns out to be a spider issue, report it. Here is the link to the relevant thread:

https://www.fjrforum....ndpost&p=604263

Edit: You confirmed the diagnosis as I was writing my post . . . . read up on it and help make Yamaha implement a proper fix. While you are visiting the FJR0009 thread you might as well fill in the poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Geezer, this link really help. Don.

I'm thinking ground spider too. Usually when you get a bizarre set of electrical problems like this with no obvious explanation, the ground spider has bitten you. Fortunatley, the fix is easy. Search the site for "ground spider" and you'll turn up lots of information.

If the spider bit you, make sure you get a formal complaint into NHTSA to help force Yamaha to deal with the problem.
Made the formal complaint to NHTSA 10-25-10. Complained to Yamaha national headquarters also.