Ellicott City, MD, Ellicott City Motorsports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
I called today to ask if my 2006 FJR, in since 12:30 on Friday, had its valves inspected yet. They said they were just taking the bike apart, but there was another issue.

ME: Oh?, says I.

DEALER: Why yes. You probably haven't been able to open your glove box for a while. We got it open. There was something wrong with the latch and it broke off.

ME: WHAT?!@?!?!?!?! You have to turn the ignition on to open that!!!

DEALER: Oh. I don't know what happened. I don't have all the details.

...and so it begins. Of course, before we talked about valves anymore, I got an agreement out of them to fix the glove box. Of course the part is not in stock, and won't be for a few weeks. Of course they can't remedy the work of their ham-fisted tech while I wait. So....80 more bucks in cab fare.

Yeah, they say the valves are all in spec. But do you trust that a tech that needs to rip the cover off a glove box to get to some screws know how to check valve clearances? What else got ripped off the bike? What fasteners didn't make it back on the bike?

So, I'm riding away, miffed, and start to catch glimpses of all the SPOOGE all over my tank, my mirror, and, of course, the now Velcro-ed in place glove box lid. A mile from the shop I completely boiled over and damn near wheelied on the way back. I got back into the service department, still taking off my helmet and gloves and asked to see the service manager. Of course he was long gone. Guess what? You'll do fine, follow me.

You see this shit all over my bike? I really don't like it. My bike damn well didn't look like this when I brought it in here. It's exactly like you guys just don't give a shit about your job . I want this off my bike right now.

@#$%@#$%!#$%@#$%#& $*%^*(%^#$%^@$%^!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK GUYS,

Read the rules for this section again.

NO REPLIES UNLESS YOU'VE BEEN TO THE DEALER AND YOU'RE ADDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. NO QUESTIONS. NO COMMENTARY.

Don't ask me where your posts went.

Final Post on the Topic of Ellicott City Motorsports (because I will not ever go back)

Welp, after taking a half-day off work at my own expense, I got a replacement glove box cover from ECMS. It took me until the first traffic light on the way home from picking up the bike to figure out that they failed to reconnect the front left turn signal while replacing the fairing. Par.

I'm never going back, not even to make them do it right this time - that would seem to be a fool's task.

Sorry to hear about experience Ari.

I have had nothing but good things from Ellicott. Jessica and Greg have taken care of me every time I have had either my old Seca II or the FJR in for service.

I had new tires and a schedule one maintenance done to the FJR while it was being stored in their facility for winter '08. Came out looking great.

Just this week I made a last minute appointment for two leaking front fork seals. I don't ride hard and they know this so Jessica said she would submit both under the yes warranty. Got to love a dealership that is willing to fight for you.

Thanks

Fred