Emphasis and Value on Cosmetic Appearance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My late 06 has 31k on her now. I am one of those "Hooked on travel by bike" riders. I am trying to hit every state in the US by motorcycle before I die. I am lacking about 12 states now. My Truck gets used very little and looks like crap but, I keep my Bikes pretty clean. I have this idea, that while I am getting down and dirty with the bike, I see things I would not normally check for possible problems on the road. That is probably Old School thinking since I rarely see anything on this bike.

It also provides me with some excercise (also 55+ yr. group) for my knees and back.

Another problem I might add is a pest called "Love Bugs" here in the South. They will eat up paint quickly if you leave them smashed on your bike for a couple days. We suffer that mess twice a year. I do a bunch more on the road cleaning during those times.

I agree, that you can't worry about every ding or scratch you pick up from the road. Just live with them because it happens.

Great topic!

I do the best I can to keep it clean and really only feel compelled to wash it if I've been caught in the rain. I have scratches from tipovers, but don't stress over it. I bought the bike to ride, not to be a museum showpiece.

I can't give a cut answer. I see a little cosmetic as not big deal. But the trick is that "a little" is vague. A little boot black on the pipes or on top of a bag is one thing (can it be cleaned up). A slight scar on a wind shield (which could be replaced) is another minor thing. If all that's damaged are parking lot drops to the delrin sliders, it's one thing. But it's another if the bags/mirrors/fairing are scratched because that takes money to fix back up. In the end, it's the money to fix that takes away from the sale price I'd be willing to pay.

Show-quality polish doesn't dazzle me but battle scars do detract from the resale value.

Bottom line? I've been burned when buying a cosmetically-clean bike that was mechanically a money pit. I've also bought a few bikes that looked a little rugged but which were religiously maintained (with the complete service folder of receipts and logs). I was happier with the latter. If shopping and I saw a ragged bike with a detailed maintenance folder, I'd consider it while shopping the area for an equally-maintained bike that hadn't been tossed down the road as often. I'd go back to the first one if price and other samples dictated it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I a motorcycle slob? Would you buy a bike in this condition for $1000 less than clean FJR's? Would these sorts of things scare you away from buying the bike? As the owner, would you spend a lot of time and money to repair them?
I don't think you're a slob, you're a rider who rides. Most scratches will come out with a compound rub, and most scratches on tank/fairing area can be prevented with some of the protective films out there from 3M, etc.. I actually LOOK for these machine to buy as I AM looking right now. I've been the route of buying new and sparkly, riding the piss out of em and scratching em up-bad investment. I wash and polish at the end of season before putting away for our Wisc. winters. Keep that blue bomber flyin!!

I have almost 34,000 miles on my 2006, so I ride it. It gets dirty and I just ride it more. Good tires, good maintenance and rideability are most important to me. I have a few dings but it's never been off two wheels (knock on wood). That said, I just washed and waxed it last weekend and it looks real good right now. It will be dirty again soon.

My bike is still scarred from my Ovale offroad adventure from last year's WFO. I'll get them fixed eventually (actually have the rear view mirror and turn signal replacements, and could get the saddlebag repainted any time), but I like telling myself that "chicks dig scars"... :rolleyes:
Oh man. It's now called the Ovale offroad adventure. :eek:

What you get out of your bike costs the amount you paid for it minus the amout you get for it when you're done with the bike. Is it worth it? Yep. Cosmetic flaws have an impact on value. So does having maintenance records.
My chime in.

Do dings and scratches and dents affect value? Of course they do. My wife is a bodily injury insurance adjuster and used to handle property damage. Think about it this way: Two vehicles, totally identical miles, condition, color, options, etc. But one was in a wreck and fixed, the other never was wrecked. Which is worth more?

As far as maintenance records go, unless they're from the dealer, I don't put much creedence in them. It's no great intellectual challenge to fake them up pre-sale if you want to. Not that I'm arguing that there aren't guys on this forum who are as good or better mechanics than in the shop, but the dealer isn't likely to create fraudulent repair orders to help add value to your bike. Joe Blow might do that, though.

Rancho

If it's important to you, then fix the minor scrapes and other issues. Buy a new set of mirrors and sliders and what ever else you need to make yourself happy about your FJR.

I don't care about resale value. I plan on using the bike up myself. With 70k+ on my '04, resale isn't a big issue. Let's face it, you can find a dozen '04 FJRs that were garage queens and have almost no mileage on them easily. No one is going to pay top dollar for mine anyway. The fact that I haven't bothered to repair the scrapes to the bags from my pavement surfing last Jan, is just a personal statement. As others described, if you have time to wash it, you have time to ride it. Riding always wins for me.

Remember, friends don't let friends be posuers. Ask your friend out for a ride. :)

I don't care about the gnats and little bugs.

Grasshopper guts and japanese beetle carcasses though annoy me.

Anything with feathers or fur really irritates me when it gets caked on and I scrape it off.

Children's toys and old lady wigs really piss me off when they get jammed in the radiator - damn, then I get the hose out!

6mmbr - Dude, cleaning off the evidence is not the same as washing the bike. :blink:

Have to say I'm one who has always kept the mochines cleaned up. Just carried over from taking care of my cars and bikes over the years. I'm one for maintaining the machine along with the painted surfaces as well. Its all maintanence to me to keep the whole vehicle up to snuff. The Harley is another story as I keep a team of midgets on hand to polish all the chrome and what nots. And the FJR does look cool when polished but seems to dirty up quick as it gets ridden the most. And I think it looks cool that way as well.....PM. <>< :D

To me, cleaning the bike is a part of maintenance. When I clean the bike, I'm also looking around for loose, broken parts, leaks, or anything else out of the ordinary. This helps me spot problems before they become severe enough to sideline the bike. This isn't to say I spend all my time polishing. My bikes get plenty dirty. But maintenance time always involves cleaning, inspection, buffing minor scratches, and noting any items that require a parts order to repair. I do all my own service - my bike has never been to the dealer since I picked it up. I'm not a perfectionist, and my vehicles are not perfect. I just do my best, and that's enough to get compliments from most folks. I don't crave the compliments, instead it's the personal satisfaction I get from a job well done that makes me do it. I enjoy fixing things up, it's almost as much of a hobby as riding is.

I won't buy a vehicle that's in rough cosmetic condition. Even if it looks clean. Washing is easy, but beat up paint, dents and scratches tell me the owner didn't spend enough on maintenance for my standards. A rough looking bike says to me "Hey, I was never washed, the guy rarely changed oil and gave me the cheapest shit he could find when he did, and you should see the sludge in the bottom of my radiator and gas tank. Please rescue me and turn me into your personal money pit - I need all the help I can get!"

My .02 :)

Ok I bad :blush:

I enjoy cleaning, riding and maintaining my bike, Its all apart of riding as I see it. It is pride of owneship for me to keep her looking and running her best. I like a clean bike that perfroms as good as it looks. I dont like dirt,chips and scratches on my bike but shit happens. I would pay the extra money for a bike with less miles and in better condition, which had a good maintainance history.

PS Dont tell anyone

Mtn

I love riding my bike but I also love looking at it when it's parked. I love looking at it so much more when it's clean and free from nicks and dents. I'll bet some people from last years EOM will testify to my wanting to wash my bike in the evening after every ride. Yes, some made fun of me but I did it anyway.

Call me snooty too.... but here's what I think when I buy a bike. If the outside is filthy, then that is how that person takes care of their bike mechanically as well. It might just be my perception, but it's all I have to go on.

No one is going to pay top dollar for mine anyway.
OCjfr, I'll pay top dollar for your fuel cell when you're bike's all used up. Butt, only if you take the OBS sticker off it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is going to pay top dollar for mine anyway.
OCjfr, I'll pay top dollar for your fuel cell when you're bike's all used up. Butt, only if you take the OBS sticker off it ;)

Someone will be paying top dollar for the Tanji Cell when I'm ready to sell it! :)

Move to Oregon and pay less taxes, then the OBS sticker will be ok. Besides, you can always lie and tell people you've actually been to OBScene, OR. Read the sticker more closely next time. ;)

Would you buy a bike in this condition for $1000 less than clean FJR's? Would these sorts of things scare you away from buying the bike?

I would not buy a tatty discounted bike if I could find a minter for more money. I absolutely love my bikes and I see the cleaning and maintenance as an integral part of the pleasure of biking. In fact, the process of cleaning often reveals maintenance issues which may otherwise go unnoticed!

My bikes aren't "garage-queens" either. They get used regularly and in ANY weather bar snow. Although my bikes are "playthings", I do at least 1000 miles per month on the Feejer and it still looks like the day it came out the showroom. I also have an 18yr old CB-1 which looks amazing.

cb1-fjr.jpg