Engine Heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind15

Reaction score
As a dealer I have had five FJR's over the years. I guess it would be fair to say I felt the heat of the older models but it never really bothered me. Then came the internet and people roasting on the older models. I have ridden countless bikes of every brand and honestly can make a list of bike that seemingly put out more heat than the older FJR's and certainly hotter than the new version. My point is, I sold a customer an 07 last week and he came in complaining of the heat on his feet. I put 150 miles on my yesterday wearing shorts and running shoes (sacrilege I know) and never once really suffered from the heat. The customer came in today and with 300 miles on his bike said he did not know if he was going to be able to live with it. I know that as the engine breaks in it will run much cooler but seriously, what is up with this issue? He even admitted that his Triumph Bonneville seemed to put out more heat. Just curious about all of your opinions. I for one thing that the pre-conceived notion of heat has ruined this bike for a good customer.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

We haven't had our normal Texas summer yet, but in riding on the few 90 degree days we have had, I sure haven't noticd excessive heat. It is stone cold compared to my V-Max. I know that isn't saying much!!! -)

I don't know what you could tell this guy, the only time I really notice any heat on my 06 is on a hot day, when I'm sitting in traffic and the fans kick on. Then it will push some heat out around my ankles. It's nowhere near unbearable. Even though I will chet a little and sometimes ride in jeans, I do always ride with boots, no tennie shoes or shower clogs for me.

Nothing's perfect. Cell phones still drop calls and make clear conversation difficult at times. IMO, motorcycles make heat, and the rider experiences it. Motorcycles also vibrate -- some more than others, and different models vary in the frequency of that vibration. It's a F&%#ing motorcycle, ferchrissakes!!!

I have an '05, and it makes heat that I experience. It's worse on a 106 degree day, such as is predicted for here today. I'm sure a Lexus would be more comfortable today than any motorcycle in terms of heat suffering -- probably also safer and with less vibration, too.

From all the bitching I've read here for over 2 years, it seems we have a lot of old ladies here who apparently never enjoyed motorcycling back in the 60s and 70s when bikes were vastly more unrefined (but we were younger and accepted that a bit better). You must get the same thing walking into the shop. Next thing, they're going to be bitching about rider protection and demanding air bags. Oh wait: Wings already have those -- I better get rid of both my turd bikes and get a Wing. :rolleyes:

Stephen,

Could this be a case of buyer's remorse, using an imagined heat issue as an excuse to get out of the purchase? I have an '05 and I have taken a few steps to reduce heat, but never felt that the heat was such a problem that I would get rid of the bike. But you never know what motivates some people to complain.

Bob

I think that a lot of people have ridiculous expectations of how motorcycles should be. They get a little heat and buffeting so they are disenchanted. We know ,it is part of the experience and do not expect a car like environment. Hell,some even complain about Goldwings which are as car like as can be!

That is bizarre. I was on mine coming back from indianapolis watching Formula 1 on the Fathers day weekend a d my temp was showing anywhere between 95-99 with huge humidity and I do not think I felt heat from the engine. It was VERY muggy, but engine heat was not the problem to me or my friend on his 05. I was wearing sport pants and Joe Rocket mash on top and SIDI ventilated boots, jacket, gloves and full face Arai.

Your guy must be either very sensitive to heat or I do not know what.

Stephen:

I know I am sensitive to excessive heat. I sold my '03 ST1300 because I felt it was unbearable to ride in ambient temperatures as low as 75 - 80 degrees. My '06 FJR is much better than the Honda was for me and I believe I can live with it until my next bike comes along. That said, alot of of us "mature" folks grew up with bikes with lower compression, richer mixtures, no fairings, no catalysts, etc. We tend to romanticize the past. It is a different world today and I'm convinced that there is no way to make a 145 bhp, emission controlled, faired motorcycle as cool as we remember when we started riding in the '60s and '70s on unfaired 40 - 60 bhp machines. I think it is also possible that the '07 FJR may be warmer than the '06 due to tightened emission requirements (although I could be totally off base with that statement). If your customer really can't take the heat generated by his new bike then you might want to suggest a trade to a lower performing unfaired model that does most of what he thinks he needs in a bike. My next machine may be an air cooled BMW with the cylinders and exhaust system components down by or below my feet. Intuitively that seems like the best design for keeping engine heat away from the rider. Unfortunately I will have to pay a premium and buy a BMW to make that happen. Tell him about my '06 Buell Ulysses. I regularly roast my right thigh if caught in any kind of traffic.

Dave

As a dealer I have had five FJR's over the years. I guess it would be fair to say I felt the heat of the older models but it never really bothered me. Then came the internet and people roasting on the older models. I have ridden countless bikes of every brand and honestly can make a list of bike that seemingly put out more heat than the older FJR's and certainly hotter than the new version. My point is, I sold a customer an 07 last week and he came in complaining of the heat on his feet. I put 150 miles on my yesterday wearing shorts and running shoes (sacrilege I know) and never once really suffered from the heat. The customer came in today and with 300 miles on his bike said he did not know if he was going to be able to live with it. I know that as the engine breaks in it will run much cooler but seriously, what is up with this issue? He even admitted that his Triumph Bonneville seemed to put out more heat. Just curious about all of your opinions. I for one thing that the pre-conceived notion of heat has ruined this bike for a good customer.Thanks in advance,

Stephen
I love my 06 (no difference to 07 except color) and my 02 Sprint put off more heat which was still totally bearable. The dude is a whiner, over him some brie.

If he is wearing the same non-ventilated black boots on the 07 FJR that he wears/wore on the cruisers, then tell him "Here's Ya Sign".

The 07/06 definitely directs more heat at the feet than the Gen-I bikes. My 05 roasted my nuts, my 07 roasts my ankles. I live where it's hot and humid (sorta like Corpus without wind). I can see where someone with the wrong expectations about 1300cc might be bothered with the heat generated.

Sell him a pair of Oxtar Air Tech XCR Touring Boots ($200). They run about 1/2 US size large, so you will have to rub his ego about his shoe size. :)

Tell him to go to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a pair of UnderGear heat socks. Next he needs to stop at the local gas station, fill the tank, then shut up and ride.

He will still feel the heat through the boots. But the added air flow will make it close to comfortable. Come winter, you can charge him extra for the built-in feet warmers.

:)

Tell him to buy something with a smaller engine. 1300 CC bikes make heat not ice cubes!!!

Tell him to go test ride and ST1300, maybe that will change his mind.

I have had my bike a month and yes it is hotter than my other one, which was only a 650, but nothing that really makes me uncomfortable. I really barely notice it unless its about 100 out, but then you are hot no matter what. I imagine once winter arrive I will really enjoy the little extra warmth.

This is my first bike with a fairing. I have owned three cruisers and about 20 dual-sports over the years. The heat coming from my 07 was something I wasn't accustomed to, but now I hardly even give it a thought. In fact, I like it if temps are below 70.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell him to buy something with a smaller engine. 1300 CC bikes make heat not ice cubes!!!
Tell him to go test ride and ST1300, maybe that will change his mind.
+1. My '04 R1 with the underseat exhaust put out a lot more heat than a Gen 2 FJR.

<_<

As a dealer I have had five FJR's over the years. I guess it would be fair to say I felt the heat of the older models but it never really bothered me. Then came the internet and people roasting on the older models. I have ridden countless bikes of every brand and honestly can make a list of bike that seemingly put out more heat than the older FJR's and certainly hotter than the new version. My point is, I sold a customer an 07 last week and he came in complaining of the heat on his feet. I put 150 miles on my yesterday wearing shorts and running shoes (sacrilege I know) and never once really suffered from the heat. The customer came in today and with 300 miles on his bike said he did not know if he was going to be able to live with it. I know that as the engine breaks in it will run much cooler but seriously, what is up with this issue? He even admitted that his Triumph Bonneville seemed to put out more heat. Just curious about all of your opinions. I for one thing that the pre-conceived notion of heat has ruined this bike for a good customer.Thanks in advance,

Stephen
Stephen...I have tried each FJR ever since it's intro. I did so at the Americade rally in NY, loved it at once and wanted one, but at 80 degrees they were all so uncomfortable I wouldn't buy! With the news of cooling mods for the 2006 I took a chance an ordered one and after waiting 6 months finally had one. Was the cooling improved yes, is it still hot at 80 degrees and above, Oh Ya!! I'm an X-Harley rider and the FJR at speed is hotter than an air cooled Harley stopped in traffic for 5 mins! I've done over 12,000 miles on it this in a year and it's a great MC... but it's still HOT! Even with protection it's hot to ride above 80 degrees... shorts and running shoes NEVER, but if you rode it that way you'd medical attention!! I think all fairing bikes above 600cc are hot the FJR may be cooler than most but don't try foolin' yourself or others it's HOT in hot weather... temp gauge runs cool but not so the rider! Tell your customer it's hot but so hot in other ways it's worth it and he can't beat it!!!

Ride Safe!

lobofjr

The FJR makes a bit of heat down low, but it's not that bad at all and not a problem for me even up to 104 degree heat. I do wear a 'stitch and leather boots. Maybe the Flipflops are at fault? :rolleyes:

(DISCLAIMER: bad humor, had to be said even if not true)

Sounds like the problem with this guy is the rider, and not so much the bike. He is either extremely sensitive to any heat, and/or is fixating on what heat there is and making a bigger issue of it than it really is.

Clicky HERE for some of my previsous thoughts on perceived heat from the FJR.

That being said, not all FJRs are created equal. So before you (we) roast this guy any further, take a ride on his specific FJR to eliminate the possibility that he has an abnormally hot one.