Engine Sound

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tre

Reaction score
I have an 05 fjr changed the exhaust which made a big difference but it still has the yamaha whine to it and its a 1300cc engine . Any other reason other sportbikes sound different such as a yamaha r1 or busa ? Just curious. Dont want one just was wondering if anybody knew.

Pure-ass guess, but maybe because of the wide torque band required to pull that much weight along so smoothly. Mine sounds pretty fierce up around nine grand, but it's not gonna outrun a liter bike or a busa....

Pure-ass guess, but maybe because of the wide torque band required to pull that much weight along so smoothly. Mine sounds pretty fierce up around nine grand, but it's not gonna outrun a liter bike or a busa....
Wasnt really worrying about outrunning them. I just listen to them when they drive up and they sound a lot more powerful than my fjr even when they have stock pipes. But the torque band theory sounds pretty good thanks for the reply

Mine sounds pretty powerful:

That video really doesn't do it justice. You have to hear it in person to really get the deep rumbling sound. You can even feel the rumbling if you stand near the bike while it's idling :)

Get off the bike and listen to it from a distance.

I thought the same thing (Stock) and the other day I had to run back in the house for something and left the bike running.

When I walked out the door and heard the thing idling it put a smile on my face.

Yes I miss the rumbling of my cruiser, to me that's what a motorcycle should sound like.

Get off the bike and listen to it from a distance.I thought the same thing (Stock) and the other day I had to run back in the house for something and left the bike running.

When I walked out the door and heard the thing idling it put a smile on my face.

Yes I miss the rumbling of my cruiser, to me that's what a motorcycle should sound like.

Its not the pipe sound just the overall sound when a bikle like that rides up on you i dont know i thought maybe had something to do with compression ratio also .

Mine sounds pretty powerful:

But I am talking about the overall sound of the engine not just with or without cans. The Busa motor i f i am not mistaken is the same type engine that we have in our fjr but the horsepoer is diffrent. But what makes it sound different and the yamaha r1 is a 1000cc and it doesnt have the yamaha whine when i hear my friends bike riding up. Still a mystery to me.???

Ear plugs! They take care of all the whining, no matter what is causing it or where it's coming from. :p

Probably just a guess based upon faulty recollection, but aren't the diameter of the down tubes of the exhaust on a bike tuned for lower end torque different from those on a bike tuned for at or near peak HP?

My XX with its Micron 4-2-1 into CF can is a lot hoarser and throatier sounding than my FJR with its 4-2-1 into Ti can with "quiet core". So, I'm not sure that informs me of anything.

As to "whining", well, I don't hear that out of the exhaust side. I've always heard any whining from an I-4 as coming from the intake tract.

FWIW

Last edited by a moderator:
As to "whining", well, I don't hear that out of the exhaust side. I've always heard any whining from an I-4 as coming from the intake tract.
Much 'whining' has its source in gear drives meshing tightly. The FJR has a gear-driven primary drive and two gear-driven balancer shafts -- these can easily 'whine'. Too-tight chain drives can also 'whine' -- like the cam shafts drive chain; its automatic tensioner shouldn't allow that, tho.

"Whining" can also eminate from elsewhere -- as 'Geezer' pointed out.... :rolleyes: :)

Seems to me that the 'busa and R1 sound more powerful because they are more powerful. Oh, and they have different stock exhaust.

Is that too simple, or is there more to it?

Exhaust note and engine sounds have a huge number of reasons why they are different. Fundamentally, there can simply be firing order. Harley has a single pin crank that creates an odd firing sequence (degrees of the crank), they even tried to patent the sound! Intake & exhaust port placement in the cylinder head, valve overlap and valve duration factor into the sound. The cylindrical volume of the engine, ratio of cylinder diameter to swept area and piston speed affect sound. Resonant tuning will affect how the engine sounds in certain rpm ranges. Double wall and single wall header pipes, pipe diameter and how the pipe is anchored at each end matter. Balancing pipes between cylinders, common exhaust plenums, 4 into 1 into two; 4 into two; 4 into two, into 1 type arrangements. Mufflers can have all kinds of different packing and acoustical baffling. Recently cats get into the mix in different flow styles and locations. Mechanically, there are different flywheel effects, number and style of balance shafts (if any), various chains within the engine and internal gear drives. As mentioned previously, the gears can be square cut, bevel, Hypoid, worm, helical, ring & pinion, 'Quiet', and a huge number of ways to cut each of these styles of gears.

It would be hard to make two engines of different design sound the same unless you strangled the life out of it with serious mufflers and block damping.

I took my moderate sounding V-Max and jetted it up, added an aftermarket exhaust and an adjustable spark timing unit. Afterward the engine rumbled and ripped just like a small block Chevy, I couldn't keep my brother from starting the engine and revving it just to hear the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of factor play into how an engine sounds. Ever hear a v8 that sounds like a v6? Depends on how you tie the exhaust tubes together.

Cam profile also make a difference, one of the "nicest" sounding motors I have ever heard on the street was a big cammed HD. Man that thing had an awesome lope to it. The R1 and Busa are tuned for higher rpm power, probably have bigger cams in 'em.

On the flip side when I was installing my Holeshot header I ran it without the mufflers, sounded pretty fierce then. :)

Lots of factor play into how an engine sounds. Ever hear a v8 that sounds like a v6? Depends on how you tie the exhaust tubes together. Cam profile also make a difference, one of the "nicest" sounding motors I have ever heard on the street was a big cammed HD. Man that thing had an awesome lope to it. The R1 and Busa are tuned for higher rpm power, probably have bigger cams in 'em.

On the flip side when I was installing my Holeshot header I ran it without the mufflers, sounded pretty fierce then. :)

Thanks guys and by the way i use to own a honda v65 sabre loved that bike