EOM 2012 - Spot Tracker Links

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just following Ray but SPOT the Wonder Tracking Mutt will be keeping tabs on us here:

2012 EOM or Ray does his best Bungie Impersonation

This all starts on Tuesday, Sept 18th and concludes the following Tuesday.

Has anyone ever tried setting up a "Location" Page on Spotwalla. This would have everyone's SPOT track on one page which might be neat. If there is an interest I could try to get one set up but we should do this very soon.

Has anyone ever tried setting up a "Location" Page on Spotwalla. This would have everyone's SPOT track on one page which might be neat. If there is an interest I could try to get one set up but we should do this very soon.
I have heard of this, you speak of....eh? Seen it done, nope!
I have made a request to Jason of SpotWalla to set up a location page for us. Once it is set up I will post the info on this thread.

I have made a request to Jason of SpotWalla to set up a location page for us. Once it is set up I will post the info on this thread.
Cool! Wayne and I were swapping texts this morning and this came up, so there is interest.

Thanks, Bill!

Warchild did this for the last IBR. It was pretty cool - I got nothing done for days.

I just landed in KY. I sent a PM to Dale asking about this. The host and site builder I'm using for the EOM site allows custom html, so I just need to do some searching. IF I can figure it out, anyone who is ok with having their spot tracker posted to a consolidated map, post up here to let me now. Tomorrow, W. NC calls. I heard about these roads down there, cherryhaley or something...

Wayne

Cool! Wayne and I were swapping texts this morning and this came up, so there is interest.

Thanks, Bill!

Warchild did this for the last IBR. It was pretty cool - I got nothing done for days.

I just landed in KY. I sent a PM to Dale asking about this. The host and site builder I'm using for the EOM site allows custom html, so I just need to do some searching. IF I can figure it out, anyone who is ok with having their spot tracker posted to a consolidated map, post up here to let me now. Tomorrow, W. NC calls. I heard about these roads down there, cherryhaley or something...

Wayne
The 2012 EOM SpotWalla Location Page is now set up. Anyone who wants to join the location page must join manually since due to security and privacy issues there is no way of do so automatically. Those who already posted SPOT links will need to go back to SpotWalla and join the Location Page.

Wayne, it might be simpler to have your EOM webmaster just link to the SpotWalla Location Page ....

https://spotwalla.com...ewer.php?id=138

Here are the instructions for joining the Location Page .....

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Joining a Location Page

Users must explicitly join a location page. Because a user's location is regarded as personal/private information, SpotWalla will never auto-join a user to a location page. The prerequisites for joining a page are:

• You must have a SpotWalla account. For more information see Creating an Account.
  • You must configure a supported device and activate its message interface. For more information see Message Interfaces.
Once the prerequisites are satisfied, follow these steps to join a page:

1. Login to your SpotWalla account.
  2. In the upper right menu click the Preferences link.
  3. Set your default location ID to your initials or some other identifier like a rally number. This ID will be used to mark your icon on each location page you choose to join. This is merely the default ID. You will have the opportunity to use different IDs for each page you join.
  4. Click the Update button.
  5. From the home page, ensure you're in Simple Search mode. If you don't see the Show me the listbox toward the top of the page, then click the Simple Search button.
  6. Select "Location Pages" from the Show me the listbox and click the Go button. This will display a list of all active location pages.
  7. Find the page you wish to join.
  8. To the right of that page in the Action column, click the Add Me link.
  9. If the location page requires a join password, you must supply it here. If it doesn't have a join password, this field will not be shown on the screen.
  10. Choose the device you want to use for this location page. Only messages from this device will update your location on this page.
  11. Choose the location ID you want to use on this page. The default is the value from your Preferences, but you can change it here, if desired or required.
  12. Select the types of messages that will update your location on this location page. For security reasons you may want to control this behavior. For instance, if you use the OK message to mark where you're spending the evening, you may not want to advertise that location on a public location page. This option only applies to SPOT devices since it's the only supported device that is capable of sending multiple message types.
  13. Click the Join button.
  14. Depending upon how you've set the above options, SpotWalla may find a suitable location automatically. If it doesn't, your location won't appear on the page until you send a location that meets the above options.
To remove yourself from a page, follow the steps above and in step 8 a Remove Me link appears rather than the Add Me link. Click the Remove Me link. You may add/remove yourself from a page at will. To change your location ID or the device used, you will need to remove and then add yourself again to the page. Your current ID and device will appear in parentheses.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please post on this thread your location page identifier (limited to three characters - mine is "FTZ")

Here is a screen shot of the Location Page and some notes on joining ....

spotwalla-location-L.png

The page will not display any tracks until Tuesday @ 00:00 and will stay active until the following Tuesday @ 23:59.

Enjoy!

Jason of SpotWalla sent me this e-mail that has other info about the Location Page.

Before joining the page you should read up on 'Secure Zones" if you have any privacy or security concerns ......

Hey, Bill.

Not a problem at all. The direct link to the location page is:

https://spotwalla.com...ewer.php?id=138

The location page URL can be shared wherever and however you choose. You can also use the link to embed the location page into another webpage or blog or... More information on that may be found here:

https://spotwalla.com...s.php#embedding

Since the location page is public, please ensure everyone who chooses to join this page is aware of secure zones and how to control the types of messages that update their location on the page. Secure zones are regions of the map where locations will not be shown. They allow the user to safeguard their home, place of work, grandma's house or any other region where they want to maintain some privacy. More information on secure zones can be found here:

https://spotwalla.com...evices.php#home

Controlling the types of messages that update one's location is briefly discussed in the directions about how to join a location page:

https://spotwalla.com/help/lps.php#join

If you have any questions or need any help, holler at me.

Jason

Cool stuff, 'Fitter! Thanks! Mine is on there, and thanks to Jason for the tip aboot the whole "secure zone" thing. I set that up as well.

Cool stuff, 'Fitter! Thanks! Mine is on there, and thanks to Jason for the tip aboot the whole "secure zone" thing. I set that up as well.
You didn't post your identifier. How we supposed to know which one you are??

You really Bungied this up didn't you.