ESG130 upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt101

Reaction score
Hi guys from across the pond!

Cracking forum you have here. A wealth of information.

I have ordered one of the stator upgrades from Powersport Superstore. $173 delivered to the UK. :clapping:

Is there anything I need to worry about when fitting this? I ask here because not many riders over here have fitted them.

Cheers

Matt

Is there anything I need to worry about when fitting this? I ask here because not many riders over here have fitted them.
Try searching on "ESG130". There are many threads on the subject including at least one with fitting directions and pictures.

If that is the Electrosport stator, just be aware that it's life is significantly shorter than the Yammie version. Approximately 30,000 - 50,000 miles.

Matt,

You should be aware of reliability issues with some aftermarket Electrosport stators. They generate increased current...but sometimes at the expense of reliability.

If you choose to put in an Electrosport stator, as a minimum keep your stock stator as a backup. The Electrosport failed me during a trip to the Smoky mountains in May of 2010. Sunday evening as a storm was rolling in, on a road far from home...slowly coming to a stop as the stator and my bike stopped working. Towed it the 800 miles home in a rental truck to get home in time for my wife's upcoming operation.

Photos:

Nice pretty blue new electrosport next to the the stock stator...

MAY-JUNESTATORISSUES009.jpg

toast electrosport stator...

MAY-JUNESTATORISSUES004.jpg

MAY-JUNESTATORISSUES006.jpg

Buyer beware.

If you search esg130 under the parts forum...you will find a few threads indicating issues with the stator. I know that this info comes to you late as you've already ordered it...but better late than never. Just keep a close eye on your volt meter and replace the stator back to stock...or with another electrosport when the readings start jumping around and getting funky.

+1 to the volt meter. If you don't already have one, consider a quality meter like a Datel (search Datel and you will find out all you need to know). Manage your electrical system to keep the meter reading 13.2 volts or higher. Regardless of what kind of stator you have, running down to 12.8 volts is hurting the stator.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I can't get hold of a Datel over here. I will have to have a look around my local Maplins.

I have a meter in the shed that would do it but it is mahoooosive. Way too big to mount anywhere on the bike. Right off for a Google session!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure one of us could help you obtain a Datel if you wish. I don't know what shipping is like to England, but it can't be that bad for something relatively small. In fact, I have an extra one lying around I would be willing to part with. It's the red one with the single 'tenth' digit. Let me know if you are interested.

I'm sure one of us could help you obtain a Datel if you wish. I don't know what shipping is like to England, but it can't be that bad for something relatively small. In fact, I have an extra one lying around I would be willing to part with. It's the red one with the single 'tenth' digit. Let me know if you are interested.
Greg I am interested if he isn't.

...and the hyenas are circling...

...and the hyenas are circling...
How did interested become hyenas circling...

Thanks for the offer SkooterG. I have bought one of these Voltmeter

I think it will probably do the job. Opinions?

Looks like an equivalent of the Datel in size and electrical performance. It doesn't state that it's weatherproof like the Datel. The bezel on the Datel is optional to install so you can make a flush fit (that won't hold water like a swimming pool such as the bezel would create if mounted flat). If the meter has mounting clips molded into the case it needs to accommodate the thickness of the plastic panel on the dash. The Datel comes with a metal spring metal clip that will fit any panel thickness.

Righto then. Who is willing to send me one over then? :clapping:

I would rather use a tried and tested one regardless of what it costs.

Greg could I take you up on your offer. Let me know how to pay you. Paypal, Bank Transfer?

Thanks for the swift replies guys. Mucho appreciated

Greg could I take you up on your offer. Let me know how to pay you. Paypal, Bank Transfer?

It's yours. Give me a day or so to find it and I'll PM you.

Sorry Johnny, you were #2. Still are. :D

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride...

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride...
But recently a hyena! :****:

FWIW, if you hadn't of stepped up, I was gonna. Just figured being third in line would be stoopid!