Ethanol Gas -Follow Up with API

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my understanding that the costs of raising the corn used in ethanol exceeds the economies it supposedly provides as a fuel additive. In other words, a net loss. :thumbsdownsmiley:

I've told the proprietor at the station I fill up at (who doesn't add ethanol) that theirs is the only station I patronize. This has resulted in them advertising their non-ethanol fuel status on the main marquee. ...my own little crusade one station at a time...

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked all 3 gas stations in the town I live in. Although all of them listed up to 10% Ethanol on the pump, only one had any Ethanol at all.

Want to check your own quickly?

Fill a clear container half way with water and mark the line on the container.

Fill the rest of the way with the gas you want to test.

Shake well.

Let it settle for a few minutes.

The Ethanol will migrate from the gas to the water and the water line will move if Ethanol is present.

As you can see here the fuel samples tested had very little or no Ethanol present.

It's not very scientific, but it works like a charm.

IMAG0156.jpg

Joe

Are you folks seeing ethanol in all of your fuels? It will be hitting little old Nova Scotia next month but only in regular gas. The mid-grade and supreme are safe for now.

It is already in New Brunswick.

Canadian FJR

I've only found one station around here that 'might' be selling non-alcohol gas. I say 'might' because it was run by a bunch of, what appeared to be, 'undocumented's' so maybe they just didn't put the placard up.

I only treat the gas for the bikes over the wintertime, it doesn't last in the tank that long during riding season! Everything else, tractor, 4-wheeler, generator, splitter etc. gets 1/2 oz. of Stabil Marine green per 5 gallons of gas.

I heard diesel will be 10% alcohol around here soon, if it isn't already.

FWIW I recently rebuilt the carbs on my '99 v max w/17K and, despite all the horror stories of what ethanol can do to the o-rings and such, there was no observable deterioration, anywhere.