Evaporative Cooling Vest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airboss

Reaction score
Tyler posed a Question in in the Death Valley Redux tread asking if Wheatie and I had Cooling Vest. Well I don't and I don't think Wheatie does either.

Having never researched this product and never tryed one, I got a complete blank on this.

So like the Question at the top says "Which one do you use and where did you get it".

The first one I had was the TechNiche Cooling Vest. Worked great, packed small when dry. Runs around $30.

Before I left for DV, I couldn't find it anywhere so purchased a Fieldsheer Iceberg cooling vest at a local shop (Road Rider). It's heavier and a bit bulkier but had much more staying power. The TechNiche lasts for maybe 1-1/2 hours before you need to re-wet it. The Fieldsheer lasted me all day and was still damp the next day. Normally runs around $50 but you can get it on closeout at Motorcycle Closeouts.

While traveling, I keep it in a ziplock bag. Fill the bag with water before you head out and when needed, just whip that sucker out (so to speak!). It has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion and is a piece of gear that I never leave home without in the summertime. B)

I have one from Sound Rider that has been used for four summers and still works well. However, consider another alternative that IMHO, works just as well or better and provides year-around use.

LDComfort base layers keep monkey butt at bay with an added benefit of evaporative cooling in the summer. When I saw the demos, I will admit I doubted the claims. However, last summer on the way to Eureka in 100+ heat, I soaked the long sleeve top and the cooling effect and duration was at least as good if not better than the vest. I'm now a believer that with an LDComfort base layer, cooling vests are obsolete.

--G

Edit, I'm too slow on the draw...Iggy and T already beat me to the punch!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you that LD comfort is the Sh*ts, never tested em at 100+, thought they could use a little help.

Last time I was in DV and California's central valley I used a couple of cool max T's that I used under my body armor at work, they were lots better than regular T's, but I bet I poured more water on me than in me. :lol:

this is what I have been using for the last four years and I highly recommend it.

Once hydrated, it will stay wet for three days.

https://www.tuffrhino.com/MiraCool_Poncho_Vest_p/hs1054.htm
I can attest to the effectiveness of the MiraCool Poncho Vest. FJRMJM and several others recently did the river road from Lajitas to Presidio near Big Bend Nat Park. Temp along the river was 101-103 for most of the ride, with low relative humidity. His MiraCool vest was tested side by side with my TechNiche vest, both soaked the night before. The MiraCool looks to have much more of the absorbant "diaper polymer" partially hydrolyzed polyacrylamide than the TechNiche, maybe twice as much. My TechNiche lasted about three hours before becoming merely damp to the touch. The MiraCool still looked like it had lost only about half its water uptake, and had plenty more cooling left. :good: I'll continue to soldier along with my TechNiche, but if I were buying new, I'd sure consider the MiraCool. MJRMGM looks a little like the Michelin Man when he takes his jacket off!

I just wanted to add another vote for doing this, Karl. The basic vests that have those little granular crystal things sewn into them are so cheap and simple there's no reason not to have one, and especially on a trip like you guys have coming up. You WILL run into beastly hot weather, and while they don't solve the problem for long, they get you out of your misery for long enough to give you a much-needed break. I'd say on a close-to-100 day, a freshly-wet vest is good for a maximum of one hour. And that first half hour is heavenly. Might be enough to get you where you're going, and for the twenty bucks they cost, why would you even hesitate? I keep mine in a 2-gallon zip lock baggie and don't put water in it till I'm ready to use it. Ten minutes soaking is all you need. If you can get some ice (like at a soda machine) for the water, better yet.

I just wanted to add another vote for doing this, Karl. The basic vests that have those little granular crystal things sewn into them are so cheap and simple there's no reason not to have one, and especially on a trip like you guys have coming up. You WILL run into beastly hot weather, and while they don't solve the problem for long, they get you out of your misery for long enough to give you a much-needed break. I'd say on a close-to-100 day, a freshly-wet vest is good for a maximum of one hour. And that first half hour is heavenly. Might be enough to get you where you're going, and for the twenty bucks they cost, why would you even hesitate? I keep mine in a 2-gallon zip lock baggie and don't put water in it till I'm ready to use it. Ten minutes soaking is all you need. If you can get some ice (like at a soda machine) for the water, better yet.

I know I did a tour of DV and Northern California trip in 09.

I remember starting out from Eureka on 299 at 60 something degrees riding to Whiskey Lake where it was a 100+, and they where out of water in the vending machines, had to make do with a bottle of hot water I had in the tank bag, half in me, half on me.

Looked at the MiraCool from TuffRhino on sale now for $32.99. Marked down from $54.99

Thanks all the responses and for the link FJRMGM, and thanks again Tyler for the kick in the head to remind me.

I'm paying attention. Last summer, I rolled into Phillipsburgh KS on U.S. 36 after traveling from Indianapolis that day. Man, I was drinking water and felt exhausted. As I rode into town, the temperature reading on the bank sign was 111 F. No cooling vest and I was almost hot enough to swim in that damn green hotel pool :dribble:

fortunately, I avoided that disease pit and drank a few pitchers of Bud Lite at the local watering hole. Yep, that fixed everything. :rolleyes: For some reason, I didn't take a single picture in Kansas. :scooter: (Indiana, Illinois, Misouri, Nebraska)

I purchased the Bilt cooling vest from Cycle Gear about three years ago (they still sell it) and have used it every summer I've ridden cross-country. I kept it inside a gallon Ziploc bag in my topcase until I needed it. To activate it I simply filled the bag with water with the vest in it (added ice in the bag when it was available), let it soak for several minutes, wrung it until it didn't drip anymore, and slapped it on. I was good for most of the day. Combine that with a light/mesh jacket and it's pretty much a radiator for your body. :)

It actually doesn't matter if the water is room temp or chilled because the vest gets cold once you start moving. However, the icy feeling is quite refreshing and wakes you up! The number of times you'd have to resoak it depended on where you are. I found that riding through Needles, CA in 119 degrees had me resoaking it at every gas stop. By the time I stopped the shoulders were dry stiff! I will say this: I don't know how I could have survived that heat for that long without that awesome vest!

And +1 for the Camelbak. Having all the ice cold water I needed at my disposal was vital to long-distance riding through those extreme temperatures and just kept me going.

Last edited by a moderator:
the original place where I ordered my MiraCool Cooling Poncho Vest now has a minimum $15 shipping fee.

so, I searched on Amazon.com for "MiraCool Cooling Poncho Vest" and found it for $19.95 with FREE shipping.

Two vests now on order.

BTW - my original vest, which I bought in 2006, finally gave up the ghost after lots and lots of use.

I still highly recommend this poncho cooling vest.

I'll be trying out the LDComfort soak method during the camping trip this weekend. I've already gotten decent results from simple sweat soaking the LDComfort shirt (long sleeve); with the Stich cuffs unzipped and front zipper down a bit, the cooling effect is very noticeable...and nice.